IGNORED

Jim Powers

BLINXERIZER

I have the NES game too all complete, got it last year.  I've been through most of the game, didn't finish it.  I didn't think it was all that grossly hard until the late parts of the game so perhaps this built from the ground up NES version was made less sadist as I know I'm not some one shot expert at that.  Control is great, audio visuals are high quality end of the NES spectrum too.  I remember talking with Piko/Eli about this awhile back when it was kickstarted and he said the asinine difficulty was scaled back, challenge still yes, but not rage inducing with some new balancing and what not.  I'd believe it because I got that far on the one I have.  Of the versions I saw the NES one just blew me away the most, especially the fluid amount of animation frames Jim and others have, it's smooth like Moon Crystal on Famicom or Prince of Persia NES.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tanooki said:

I have the NES game too all complete, got it last year.  I've been through most of the game, didn't finish it.  I didn't think it was all that grossly hard until the late parts of the game so perhaps this built from the ground up NES version was made less sadist as I know I'm not some one shot expert at that.  Control is great, audio visuals are high quality end of the NES spectrum too.  I remember talking with Piko/Eli about this awhile back when it was kickstarted and he said the asinine difficulty was scaled back, challenge still yes, but not rage inducing with some new balancing and what not.  I'd believe it because I got that far on the one I have.  Of the versions I saw the NES one just blew me away the most, especially the fluid amount of animation frames Jim and others have, it's smooth like Moon Crystal on Famicom or Prince of Persia NES.

Awesome to hear. I'm definitely grabbing a copy. Thanks for the input.

No problem.  Fcgamer tipped me off to something, good luck not getting hosed on a cart, but if you go to their website(I don't know it off hand) there's a true in every sense of it mega man sequel/clone game out since late last year called TROPHY you might want to take a peek at.  Quality level from the clips I've watched is insane, and he said it plays just as nice as the capcom oldies too, so it's not just a pretty game with average wonky homebrew design/control issues.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2022 at 7:47 PM, Van Jackson said:

I came into this thread thinking exactly this.

That's Jim Powers not Jim Power!!!!

Anyway, I wasn't going to order this since I assumed the NES version would be a dramatic down-port of low quality, but I checked out the first couple of minutes on youtube and the NES version looks really well done.  So now I just have to wait a thousand years for PIKO to get around to sending me the copy I just paid for (my last order with them took months).

Edited by Dr. Morbis

• 1 month later...

Okay, I finally received my NES copy in the mail, and I'm giving it a big thumbs up!  I've never played any other version, so I can't speak to how faithful the NES game is to other ports, but the game itself is very well made and a lot of fun.  It's very difficult though, to the point of being frustrating, even on easy, but it has fluid animation and great graphics and play control.  I haven't beaten it yet, but it's on my short-list now.

The only real negative, and this is a minor gripe, but the manual is riddled with typos; I took a picture (below) of one particular page that has three blatant errors.  First, I'm supposed to put my NES cart into my SNES?!? Then it's says, "the title screen appear will appear," and to top it off, it mixes up the jump and shoot button (fear not, it's B to shoot, A to jump, like most other NES games); how do you mess up the controls when there are only two buttons?  Now, I know I'm being nitpicky, but I read the entire manual cover to cover in about five minutes; is it asking too much for the guy in charge of releasing the game to do the same before it goes off to the printer?  All the money securing the license, time/effort of Shiru to program the game, whatever graphic artist designed the box and manual, and you don't have five minutes left to proofread the manual?  Also, the box's spine doesn't have any title on the display side, and the other spine if you face the box the other way on your shelf has the text read bottom to top instead of top to bottom, unlike 99% of the rest of the NES library...  but enough negatives; these are very minor gripes that I had to get off my chest, as I am very happy with the actual game itself!

One last thing, I've included a second picture of the back of the box, as you have got to read that first paragraph.  I know it's just ad-copy, but if that shit is true then this is officially the best freaking video game ever made - one step away from Star Trek's Holodeck!  I don't think I've ever seen a game trump itself up to this extent before, especially on the 8 bit NES.

Anyway, TLDRNES version is great and I highly recommend all NES-heads buy themselves a copy...

Jim Power (1).JPG

Jim Power (2).JPG