IGNORED

~Choco Pie -vs- Moon Pie~

drxandy

Hello! I have tried two different snack cakes provided to me from two parts of the globe.

Coming from Taiwan, Choco Pie! from @fcgamer

From Tennessee, USA, Moon Pie! from @darkchylde28

spacer.png

Choco pie: soft marshmallow, soft crumbly biscuit, kinda a light coffee flavor from the vanilla?

Moon pie: soft mallow, thicker cakey biscuit, kinda a light banana flavor

They're pretty much the same thing but still very different.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, drxandy said:

Hello! I have tried two different snack cakes provided to me from two parts of the globe.

Coming from Taiwan, Choco Pie! from @fcgamer

From Tennessee, USA, Moon Pie! from @darkchylde28

spacer.png

Choco pie: soft marshmallow, soft crumbly biscuit, kinda a light coffee flavor from the vanilla?

Moon pie: soft mallow, thicker cakey biscuit, kinda a light banana flavor

They're pretty much the same thing but still very different.

You forgot to specify that Moon Pie's are better.

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, RH said:

Here in the South, there's just Moon Pie's. It is a tradition. That said, I can't stand them because I hate banana's. If you have something like a Moon Pie but without the slightest banana flavor, I'm intrigued.

Around here you can also get them in chocolate and vanilla.  They have some other flavors which I haven't seen around in the Denver area.  (I actually prefer the banana ones....)

https://shop.moonpie.com/collections/moonpies?page=2

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

They claim that the flavor we associate with fake banana is what true banana used to taste like. Some fungi killed out the entire type of banana tree and that's how we get what we have today. 

I was just about to post this. Here's a link for anyone who's interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gros_Michel_banana

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

They claim that the flavor we associate with fake banana is what true banana used to taste like. Some fungi killed out the entire type of banana tree and that's how we get what we have today. 

11 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I was just about to post this. Here's a link for anyone who's interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gros_Michel_banana

I didn’t read the link. Born and raised in the Florida keys I had banana trees in my front yard….they were fake?

23 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

I didn’t read the link. Born and raised in the Florida keys I had banana trees in my front yard….they were fake?

Nah. First, the fungi killed the bananas in the 50s so unless you are 60s or older they would have already been the other species. Also those older bananas weren't "fake", It's just that artificial banana flavoring ("fake" banana) is based off of those species of banana. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@0xDEAFC0DE so read it a bit and the “big mikes” are still around? The fungi killed of almost all but not quite.

Yeah they are still around and you can order them specially online (although they are super expensive). But they are not mass produced so anything you would buy at a normal store would be the Cavandishes

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

I've heard people say that, but never anyone who was actually old enough to have sampled the old standard bananas (Gros Michel, IIRC) of the day, before the current Cavendish variety took over.  The tales I've heard from people who DID get to eat the old variety talked about how they were so sweet and creamy that you could open the peel and eat them with a spoon in the place of ice cream.  If fake banana flavoring is what those things actually tasted like, I hate to say it, but I'm glad they're gone.  🤮