IGNORED

Video games with cancer and reproductive harm warning

Makar

Editorials Team · Posted
21 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Yeah, every state has some stereotype quirk. Florida has Florida Man, California never met a law it didn't pass, Montana is a haven for shack-dwelling anarchists, Kansas ... exists. (No offense to Kansans, I was born there. 😛 )

Phew, you could have gone with "sheep fuckers"!

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Because the lawmakers see the overall goal as the shiny object, and don't see the devil in the details. It all looks good on paper, and 95% or so of the time it works okay, but the 5% ends up a comical failure.

I'll give you another for instance. Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez introduced AB 5 recently, aimed at providing gig workers with benefits and a better wage. Seems fine on the surface, and it was aimed at getting Uber and Lyft drivers a better deal than the starvation wages they were working at.

Well, they didn't make the bill detailed enough, so other gig workers, who work in low budget entertainment (theatre, gig music, etc.) were classed as hourly workers, even when they didn't want to be, (because they had day jobs that paid the bills and just wanted to make art/entertainment), and found themselves struggling to get hired, because when your budget is hundreds of dollars for a low budget event, there's no money there. Meanwhile, Uber and Lyft weaseled out of it by passing Prop 22, which did get worker benefits, but on terms more favorable to the rideshare companies.

So basically, the lawmakers figure "big idea = good things," but then they don't foresee some of the consequences. I'm sure other states have this too, but California likes to legislate in hard mode. (Large population + bloated bureaucracy = laws that are a mess.)

Most of the bad ones get something else passed later to nullify them, but Prop 65 probably won't be, because it just adds an ignorable warning and not much else.

I like your formula:

“Large population + bloated bureaucracy = laws that are a mess”.

Basically, we can agree that the lawmakers need to grow more brain cells. Lol

I would be interested to know what evidence they used and what statistical risk was concluded from any such studies (if any were actually done).

31 minutes ago, GPX said:

I like your formula:

“Large population + bloated bureaucracy = laws that are a mess”.

Basically, we can agree that the lawmakers need to grow more brain cells. Lol

I would be interested to know what evidence they used and what statistical risk was concluded from any such studies (if any were actually done).

Most of the time they do use experts and it's fine, but sometimes it's "election year, let's ram this through while we still can!" 

Some propositions aren't even initiated by legislation. Anyone who can get enough signatures can put one up for vote. But you have to spend a ton of money (like Uber and Lyft did) to get it to pass.

14 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Terminal brain cancer, largely lacking any good thought at the legislative level anymore (and as such the population largely who keep them in there.) 😄

So terribly run its the 6th latgest economy in the world? Still mad you couldnt hack it here with the big boys huh? Dave couldnt either, its ok!

California is like tom Brady. Everyone hates you because of how good you are lol

We pay more taxes so Its been proven we are more productive americans. CNN/MSNBC did a study, and proved it. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

He was okay. Better than Gray Davis. Not as good as Jerry Brown.

Jerry brown was awesome. But, I actually liked The Governator, he wasnt even a real republican. He hustled the right wingers just like Trump did to get them to vote for him. I think they saw a bit of Regan in him

7 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

So terribly run its the 6th latgest economy in the world? Still mad you couldnt hack it here with the big boys huh? Dave couldnt either, its ok!

Umm what? I've only ever been to the airport in San Fran, and it sucks. You're right, I don't want to deal with missing my connections due to delays.

Also don't want to finger paint in shit when walking down the street.

California sucks.

20 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Umm what? I've only ever been to the airport in San Fran, and it sucks. You're right, I don't want to deal with missing my connections due to delays.

Also don't want to finger paint in shit when walking down the street.

California sucks.

Fun fact, i grew up a mile from SFO. You might have been within that distance of me at one point in time! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Fun fact, i grew up a mile from SFO. You might have been within that distance of me at one point in time! 

Oh wow, that's cool. I've only been through that way over the past ten years though, when flying to Taiwan or back home. 

In all seriousness though, I do try to avoid that airport because of the delays, preferring to just transfer in Tokyo. Always did enjoy the 7 AM beers from Gordan Biersch though.

7 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

California is like tom Brady. Everyone hates you because of how good you are lol

We pay more taxes so Its been proven we are more productive americans. CNN/MSNBC did a study, and proved it. 

Eh what?  Hack it?  Weather aside, I didn't like the state even before it turned into a test bed for liberal democrat leaning really bad ideas and schemes.  Too expensive sure but the pay kind of balances that, the over crowding, dirtiness, crime, awful traffic, lack of friendliness, wasted time, leaning towards bilingual or no job garbage, the list goes on.  I know you're joking, but I was glad to leave the first time, escape the second.  Outside of vacation there's just not much to like left there anymore sadly.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Too expensive sure but the pay kind of balances that, the over crowding, dirtiness, crime, awful traffic, lack of friendliness, wasted time, leaning towards bilingual or no job garbage, the list goes on.

I've lived here for nearly thirty years and aside from the traffic (which is only during rush hour), I've never experienced any of that. But hey, hit all the untrue cliches while you're at it. 😉

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I've lived here for nearly thirty years and aside from the traffic (which is only during rush hour), I've never experienced any of that. But hey, hit all the untrue cliches while you're at it. 😉

Yeah I've lived there just as long, string me another yarn.  That state went severely downhill into the 21st century.  Ask me back in the 90s, I would have loved it still.  Just because where you lived you didn't have that, doesn't make that behemoth of a state sunshine and roses everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah I've lived there just as long, string me another yarn.  That state went severely downhill into the 21st century.  Ask me back in the 90s, I would have loved it still.  Just because where you lived you didn't have that, doesn't make that behemoth of a state sunshine and roses everywhere.

I live in LA, the hotbed of whatever conservatives gripe about at any given moment. But you know, we actually contribute to the nation, rather than those states that mooch off of it. If any state's gone downhill, it certainly isn't this one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tanooki said:

Keep telling yourself that, it's fine.  I wasn't going to reply again but I was too stuck between the eye roll and laugh emoji not being able to use both.  Probably best we drop it, seriously not going to agree on this one.

Hey, actually live here now, while I know you haven't since the NA days. So, yeah, I think I know a thing or two about where I live.

Just now, Tulpa said:

Hey, actually live here now, while I know you haven't since the NA days. So, yeah, I think I know a thing or two about where I live.

Parents still live there so I'm not entirely out of the loop and before the dumb virus I used to go back and visit.  I left the state 9 years ago, haven't been back in 2.5-3yrs.

It's all good. We all live where we want.

I grew up in the Great Plains, and had to get out because of the casual racism, the lack of jobs, the fact that if you weren't working in agriculture you weren't working, the lack of any real recreation, and the unfriendliness to outsiders. Maybe it's changed since then, but kind of doubt it (seems like it's stuck in the 50s.)

Every state sucks in their own way.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Agree 1