IGNORED

VGS NES TOURNAMENT - Top 8/9

BeaIank

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

Kind of hope someone beats me to save me the embarrassment. I think I beat level 2 on batman once, maybe? One of those good games I never think to play. I will be lucky to get a halfway to a third place score. 

I think I've played Batman for about 5 minutes so you've still got me beat.

6 minutes ago, PII said:

There's almost no kind of video game, generally speaking, that I can't get into at all; but if there's one, it's team sport games with a few exceptions.  Maybe I "just don't get 'em", but there's just something about a bunch uncontrolled jackasses doddering around on a field coupled with controls that amount to futile button mashing that I detest.

You should try Volleyball. Even I hate that game.

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

You should try Volleyball. Even I hate that game.

Volley ball seems like something I ought to like at least a little, but I don't really know.  If tennis is good Volleyball should be too, right?  And the possibility of 4-player doubles could be great fun.  Not sure if that exists on Nes or not...

Just now, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I've played Batman for about 0 minutes (before today) so you've got me beat.

I might have been able to do something with it if I had a full week to play, but there's no way I'd get anything decent with limited time. I'm average at best when it comes to shooters so I doubt I would have done much with Macross either. 

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I might have been able to do something with it if I had a full week to play, but there's no way I'd get anything decent with limited time. I'm average at best when it comes to shooters so I doubt I would have done much with Macross either. 

I thought that may have been why you dropped.  If it happened to be a game that was in your wheelhouse, I'm sure you would've come up with the time to play a round or two, but with other obligations, time for practice would definitely be at a premium.  Just sucks that you did so bloody well to get there and aren't playing though.

2 minutes ago, PII said:

Volley ball seems like something I ought to like at least a little, but I don't really know.  If tennis is good Volleyball should be too, right?  And the possibility of 4-player doubles could be great fun.  Not sure if that exists on Nes or not...

The controls are awful and it plays like video foosball more than Volleyball. If you play it and like it, I'd be surprised.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I thought that may have been why you dropped.  If it happened to be a game that was in your wheelhouse, I'm sure you would've come up with the time to play a round or two, but with other obligations, time for practice would definitely be at a premium.  Just sucks that you did so bloody well to get there and aren't playing though.

If it was something I have burned into my memory like SMB, I probably could have knocked out a decent time with minimal effort. I still would have to learn Macross though, so I wouldn't have been able to give my best effort.

7 minutes ago, PII said:

Volleyball may be the worst of blackbox sports. It is in my book. Super spike volleyball is pretty damn good on the other hand

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

You bastard!!! LOL, with the progress you and the wizard made, I'd imagine a whole lot of practice time went in this week. Impressive regardless and cool you too can hang out in person and grind competition scores. I'd imagine that is a hell of a lot of fun. Nicely done to you both

My previous personal best on Golf was -1, as I considered beating par to be "beating the game."  As for this week, my first Golf game was +17, so I shaved off almost thirty strokes and it took me about that many games.  I probably put a good 15 hours into that game as it's one you can't really jump into and be proficient - it's almost like you have to build muscle memory for all 18 holes.  I'm really glad it has 100% random wind (aside from hole 1) or the game would be super broken.

Anyway, barring a crazy last minute change, it looks like we've both punched our ticket to the "get beat by bert" show.  I'll be gunning for that silver trophy though, and ready to take gold should the busy father of three suddenly falter...  😉

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Next round is a Batman speedrun, with Macross (Famicom) as bonus points.  So it's two games in one.

Actually the speedrun part is the bonus points really, if you look at how the scoring goes, we're basically playing Batman one life for distance, with lowest time as the tiebreaker, and Macross's max bonus is one less point  than a Batman win...

3 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

My previous personal best on Golf was -1, as I considered beating par to be "beating the game."  As for this week, my first Gold game was +17, so I shaved off almost thirty strokes and it took me about that many games.  I probably put a good 15 hours into that game as it's one you can't really jump into and be proficient - it's almost like you have to build muscle memory for all 18 holes.  I'm really glad it has 100% random wind (aside from hole 1) or the game would be super broken.

Anyway, barring a crazy last minute change, it looks like we've both punched out ticket to the "get beat by bert" show.  I'll be gunning for that silver trophy though, and ready to take gold should the busy father of three suddenly falter...  😉

It looks like bert is going to be the lowest ranked player from the overall leaderboard in the finals so you guys should have it easy!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Yeah, I really didn't enjoy Soccer. Goal! Two (the only other NES soccer game I've played) felt much better to control.

Goal 2 is almost a hidden gem in my mind. Such a fun game if you give it a little time to figure it out. Ive gone back to it a couple times. Probably my favorite soccer game on the system now, but I like tecmo cup as well. 

On 12/6/2021 at 3:28 AM, Jeevan said:

@Bearcat-Doug sorry to hear, hope everything is/goes well.  Keep us posted buddy, and if you need anything, or just somebody to listen reach out to me!

My dad has bounced back fairly well from his bout of pneumonia and should be 100% in a week or so. Thanks again for checking in!

• Like 1
  • Love 2