IGNORED

VGS NES TOURNAMENT - Top 8/9

BeaIank

4 hours ago, BeaIank said:

I thought that it would be implicit that you need to post a picture of each game for your score to be valid, but alas, it was not the case, so I made it explicit in the rules now.

This' the tournament. There's no easy way out. 😛

Good. Hopefully a lot of -2 scores on Tennis will actually give me a chance.

10 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I see nobody here has posted a Golf score yet.  Maybe I should submit mine after all...I mean, I sent it privately to @Dr. Morbis because of our side-bet and because it blew my mind that I obliterated my personal best on what was only my second or third game.  I doubt I'd beat @bertsampson anyway, especially with me not playing either of the other two games, but it's hard not to post when the bar hasn't been set yet...

I'll try to get a Golf score up today. I've had a bad case of bronchitis that's had me down for the last 3 days, but I seem to be feeling a little better this morning.  

On 11/30/2021 at 5:07 PM, NESfiend said:

Yup and dont forget the bending action. All of them that I scored on I bent perfectly into the corner. 

Before I figured that out, I had a little success with long punts from the goalie to wing player up the side of the field. One or two dribbles then shot from weird angle

That does really work. Getting the ball past the goalie isn't as tough as simply getting a clean shot at the net. I was able to get two quick goals back to back early and had 3 in the first half. If I could get a halfway decent golf score, I'd be in good shape.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That does really work. Getting the ball past the goalie isn't as tough as simply getting a clean shot at the net. I was able to get two quick goals back to back early and had 3 in the first half. If I could get a halfway decent golf score, I'd be in good shape.

This may be the motivation I need to go back to soccer and say screw tennis. Im pretty sure Im as good as Im going to get in golf, or very close to it. May shift back to soccer. More fun than tennis and maybe I can squeeze another goal or two

Events Helper · Posted
9 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

This may be the motivation I need to go back to soccer and say screw tennis. Im pretty sure Im as good as Im going to get in golf, or very close to it. May shift back to soccer. More fun than tennis and maybe I can squeeze another goal or two

-87 is pretty damned good 😏

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I still need to work on my Golf game. Everytime on on pace for a -8 or -9 run, I end up messing up late. I finally got a -6 in, so I feel a little better about where I'm at, but someone that's really good at Golf could still beat my overall score easily.

17 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I was going to ask this: if anyone had ever got a hole in 1; I've never seen it in my entire life in this game, so it's a freaking unicorn as far as I'm concerned right now.  At least I know that one's possible, along with the dozen or so eagles I've seen, though I'm also wondering about albatrosses, but the only hole that would be possible to get an albatross is the one with the small meadow in the woods on the left side, where you could tee off into the meadow, and then fluke out and have your approach shot go right in the hole...

Yeah it's possible and an albatross is I think possible.  Since a hole in one is basically an eagle it's a matter of luck just about as much as an eagle on a par 4.  For a par 5 that's where reliable eagles are possible, get on the green in 2 then sink it.  (Not all wind supports this necessarily on all holes.  But I've gotten eagles like this on more than just the meadow hole). 

So then following that logic if you can get it on in 2 on a par 5, then you can sink it in 2.  It's a total fluke to sink it versus just landing it.  But albatrosses are exceedingly rare in real life too.

(Albatrosses as a hole-in-1 on a par 4 is possible in real life too.  But generally not possible in video games.  I don't think there's any par 4 where you can drive the green in this game?  Following this logic backwards, an eagle on a par 4 in this game is only possible sinking it from the fairway).

43 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Yeah it's possible and an albatross is I think possible.  Since a hole in one is basically an eagle it's a matter of luck just about as much as an eagle on a par 4.  For a par 5 that's where reliable eagles are possible, get on the green in 2 then sink it.  (Not all wind supports this necessarily on all holes.  But I've gotten eagles like this on more than just the meadow hole). 

So then following that logic if you can get it on in 2 on a par 5, then you can sink it in 2.  It's a total fluke to sink it versus just landing it.  But albatrosses are exceedingly rare in real life too.

(Albatrosses as a hole-in-1 on a par 4 is possible in real life too.  But generally not possible in video games.  I don't think there's any par 4 where you can drive the green in this game?  Following this logic backwards, an eagle on a par 4 in this game is only possible sinking it from the fairway).

All of the par 3s are possible to hole in one and all the rest are possible in two strokes but none of them can be hole in one'd. Most times it requires favorable winds. Getting two strokes on a par 5 will net you a double eagle as the game calls it (which I believe is the American term for an albatross). 

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I still need to work on my Golf game. Everytime on on pace for a -8 or -9 run, I end up messing up late. I finally got a -6 in, so I feel a little better about where I'm at, but someone that's really good at Golf could still beat my overall score easily.

The game actually does get harder as it goes. 14-17 is the really tough stretch, and it only ends at 17 because 18 is a par 5. I suspect thats why you had a handful of people at -9 or so, but only one better than -12 last time. When I first started to turn a corner and score on the game, Id rack up birdies on the front then give back all those strokes on the back. 

45 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

All of the par 3s are possible to hole in one and all the rest are possible in two strokes but none of them can be hole in one'd. Most times it requires favorable winds. Getting two strokes on a par 5 will net you a double eagle as the game calls it (which I believe is the American term for an albatross). 

Yeah figured as much sometimes games will have the odd par 4 put in that you can hole (or putt for eagle) like the hole 10 dogleg on the first course in mario golf 64 where you can put it over the trees.  But this isn't far off from real life either, holing a par 4 is no small feat.  

In my opinion this is why par 4's are what make golf and VG golf hard to put up a good score, because theyre only reliably good for birdies, which still isnt a guarantee; all eagles are essentially flukes.  On the other hand, its easier to save par from a bad tee shot on a par 4 (say you go into water, take a drop put in on the green then sink it for par.  On a par 3, you now have to sink it from your drop spot; on a Par 5 you can still squeak a lucky birdie or a reliable par but youve put yourself behind right at the start).

I think the name Albatross is superior because the bird itself was a symbol of incredible luck by sailors in the old world since they were thought to be able to guide ships.  In Samuel Taylor's Coolidge's poem The Rime of the Ancient Mariner an albatross appears while the mariner is stranded in a dire situation, and he ends up murdering it.  It's always stuck out to me as a strong symbol.  In golf translation it's an incredibly lucky thing to get.  If you bomb a round after getting an albatross, you've essentially killed it.

Double Eagle just makes no sense to me cause it's -3 not -2*2

28 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

The game actually does get harder as it goes. 14-17 is the really tough stretch, and it only ends at 17 because 18 is a par 5. I suspect thats why you had a handful of people at -9 or so, but only one better than -12 last time. When I first started to turn a corner and score on the game, Id rack up birdies on the front then give back all those strokes on the back. 

That's what keeps happening to me. I can be -8, -9 going into that last stretch and give 4 or 5 strokes back. I might get back to it tomorrow. If not, I should have time Sunday morning.