IGNORED

VGS NES TOURNAMENT - Top 8/9

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gentlemen, the competition heats up as our top 8 is close to be decided!
At the end of this day, 28th of November, we will know who are the brave and valiant players who will compete in the tournament top 8/9.

@Dr. Morbis
@NESfiend
@PII
@0xDEAFC0DE
@mbd39
@Krunch
@Bearcat-Doug
@bertsampson
@the_wizard_666

And for this top 8/9, we will put them a excruciating, complex, tough yet extremely fun task!
They will compete in the most beloved genre of our weekly contest, Sports.

For this top 8/9, they will play 3 black box sports games to decide who is worthy of playing the grand finals!

The games they will have to play to determine their final score and placing are:

Blackbox Soccer

• Choose 1 Player game
  • Choose whichever team you want
  • Pick skill level 5
  • Pick half time 15
  • No PKs. if you tie the game, then your score is zero.
  • Your tournament score for Soccer will be your goals for minus your goals against (ie If you win 5-2, your score is 3)
  • Take your picture when the game ends.  Be quick with your picture because you won't have a lot of time to take it before the game resets.

Blackbox Tennis

• Choose Singles
  • if you win by 6-0, 6-0, your score 2 tournament points
  • Pick skill level 4
  • If you win by any score other than 6-0, 6-0, you score 0 tournament points
  • If you lose, you score -2 tournament points
  • Take your picture when the game ends.  Be quick with your picture because you won't have a lot of time to take it before the game resets.

Blackbox Golf

• Play all 18 holes
  • Take your picture after you finish the last hole (either on the last hole screen or the title screen)
  • Your tournament score will be your par times -1 (ex, you beat the game with a -5 par, your score is 5. You beat with a 3 par, your score is -3)

Your final tournament score will be your Soccer score + your Tennis score + your Golf score.
You must post a picture of each game score for your tournament score to be valid.
The 4 players with the highest sum total will advance to the grand finals.
Tie breaker, if needed, will be decided by the players Weekly Contest Geral standings. The player with the highest Geral standing will be considered the winner in case of a tie.

Good luck for our contestants. May their week be filled with lots of sporting fun!

The top 8/9 phase ends Sunday, 12/05/21 at 11:00 EST VGS time (12/05/22 1:00 AM Brasilia time)!!!!!!!!!!... Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

• Haha 2

Events Team · Posted
1st 0xDEAFC0DE 22 Soccer - 0 Tennis - -2 Golf - +24
2nd Bearcat-Doug 17 Soccer - 4 Tennis - +2 Golf - +11
3rd bertsampson 16 Soccer - 2 Tennis - +2 Golf - +12
4th Dr. Morbis 15 Soccer - 2 Tennis - -2 Golf - +15
5th NESfiend 14 Soccer - 2 Tennis- -2 Golf - +14
6th the_wizard_666 14 Soccer - 1 Tennis- -2 Golf - +15
7th Krunch 8 Soccer - 1 Tennis- -2 Golf - +9
8th PII -3 Soccer - -1 Tennis - -2 Golf - 6
9th mbd39 -22 Soccer - -10 Tennis - -2 Golf - -10

11 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I assume Tennis is supposed to be played on Skill 5?  You should add that to the rules or else I'm doing my 6-0, 6-0 against the Skill 1 guy 🙂

I figured it was the default level. What about Soccer games that go to penalty kicks? Do you get a +/- ½ point for a PK win/loss?

Events Team · Posted
34 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I figured it was the default level. What about Soccer games that go to penalty kicks? Do you get a +/- ½ point for a PK win/loss?

You won't get to do PKs. If the game ends 0-0, then your score will be 0. I will update the rules regarding that.

Also, @BeaIank, you mention needing to be quick with the Golf picture, but I remember it saving the best score on the title screen, so will a title screen shot suffice with our score displayed?  The game boots up with a high score of 28 over par, so anything better than that will be from gameplay...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Also, @BeaIank, you mention needing to be quick with the Golf picture, but I remember it saving the best score on the title screen, so will a title screen shot suffice with our score displayed?  The game boots up with a high score of 25 over par, so anything better than that will be from gameplay...

It used to be okay to take the picture on the title screen in previous contests.

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Also, @BeaIank, you mention needing to be quick with the Golf picture, but I remember it saving the best score on the title screen, so will a title screen shot suffice with our score displayed?  The game boots up with a high score of 28 over par, so anything better than that will be from gameplay...

Sure, a title screen with the best score will be good for Golf.

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm excited for this which means @Jeevan will probably post a better Challenger score at 9:59 tonight.

na dude, too much crown last night makes me not wanna do anything, currently watching the new dexter right now.  You are in the clear!

Whiskey after a 3 month dry spell is not good!

3 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

na dude, too much crown last night makes me not wanna do anything, currently watching the new dexter right now.  You are in the clear!

Whiskey after a 3 month dry spell is not good!

I should be practicing Soccer then since I broke the turkey game, but American football is on so I'm far too busy.

4 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, it's going to come down to best Golf score for sure.  Looks like @NESfiend is going to the finals, assuming he's as good at Golf as he claims to be...

Oh im pretty damn good at golf, but Ive never played the other 2, so plenty of opportunity to get points on me. This format is freaking awesome. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Oh im pretty damn good at golf, but Ive never played the other 2, so plenty of opportunity to get points on me. This format is freaking awesome. 

Tennis is only worth 2 points and I'd be surprised if anyone gets more than 2 or 3 points from Soccer. Golf is going to be the money game, especially if you can get 10 or more under par. If you're that good at Golf, you probably don't even need to play the other two games.

4 hours ago, BeaIank said:

Sure, a title screen with the best score will be good for Golf.

Are we allowed to pause at the end of Soccer or Tennis to take the picture? The only real issue is that with Tennis the players disappear if you pause the game when the scoreboard comes up so you can't confirm that it's the level 4 opponent since they are all different colors.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

Events Team · Posted
Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

Are we allowed to pause at the end of Soccer or Tennis to take the picture? The only real issue is that with Tennis the players disappear if you pause the game when the scoreboard comes up so you can't confirm that it's the level 4 opponent since they are all different colors.

You can pause. I will trust that no one at the top 8 will be so lacking in ethic to play level 1 and pause the game to secure 2 points in this round.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

You can pause. I will trust that no one at the top 8 will be so lacking in ethic to play level 1 and pause the game to secure 2 points in this round.

Thank you 🙂 I was worried I might have to play multiple times if I missed the pic with my laggy digital camera...

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Glad to hear that the format is being liked. I am trying my hardest to make it interesting and more challenging than the previous years.
I got a surprise up my sleeve for the grand finals. Something that was never done in the contest before.

• Like 1

SCORE POST

Total score = 15 Points:

Soccer: I won 2-0, with my miraculous second goal coming with 42 ticks left on the clock in the second half, at which point I took a quick picture.  Then at the final buzzer I took a shot but the flash decided not to work and I didn't exactly have the time to fix it, so hopefully you can faintly see my name in the bottom left (by highlighting the picture with your cursor) and tell that it's my TV 🙂   2-0 = 2 points.

Golf: Made it to the 18th hole (which I usually eagle) at -15 on my best run, but the game saw fit to give me max headwind, and it did not end well.  As it stands, my best game is getting to the 18th with a -13 and then eagling the last hole for a  -15 = 15 points.

Tennis: Well, I don't know how you did it Doug, I tried my hardest, even won a set here and there, but I just cannot beat the Skill 4 guy... my last match was 6-4, 6-7, 4-6 and I'm done.  I guess I'm eating the points.

Loss = -2 points.

Soccer 1.JPG

Soccer 2.JPG

Golf 5.JPG

Golf 5a.JPG

Tennis 1.JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

Its GOLF time - it's TIME TO SHINE!!!   🦅

Reserved!!!!

Update 1: I still haven't got anywhere on Tennis or Soccer.  What's sad is I actually got a Soccer goal in the first few minutes of the game, held off until the tense halftime whistle and onward, but then got scored on with 6ish minutes left.  Very sad.  And in Golf I didn't go great either.  (Conclusion: Bea is sadistic.)

Update 2: Did better today, followed up my previous -2 with a -4.  Including an eagle on hole 5.  Sadly I ate a triple on hole 18 😞

update 3: After a few strange rounds including a viable (but ultimately failed) front 9 that had two eagles but also a triple and quadruple bogey, I nailed the -9.  Came close to an albatross somewhere in there!

Total: 8      (9, 1, -2)

Golf: -9 (9 tournament points)

1FC98766-D6D8-45CC-B2CF-0C1F9E8BEC18.jpeg

Soccer: 1 (1 tournament points)

3CB9CC56-13E7-4D53-8CA0-3411D9BD960C.jpeg

Tennis: -2 (-2 tournament points)

9A846006-3B67-4D4B-B78B-0FC70803B061.jpeg

Edited by Krunch
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1