IGNORED

VGS NES TOURNAMENT - Top 8/9

BeaIank

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

Yes, so a player who loses at soccer by a score of 3-1 has 1 minus 3 for negative two points. But you would get zero for not playing at all? I could be wrong, but I doubt it

The way it's written, that's how it would work.  Thus, it'd be foolish to post a losing score.

3 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

The way it's written, that's how it would work.  Thus, it'd be foolish to post a losing score.

It doesnt say 0 is the minimum. It says you get zero if you tie. Otherwise its your goals - goals against. What makes you think you couldnt get negative points same as I will probably get -2 points for failing at tennis?

Events Helper · Posted
10 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

5 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

It doesnt say 0 is the minimum. It says you get zero if you tie. Otherwise its your goals - goals against. What makes you think you couldnt get negative points same as I will probably get -2 points for failing at tennis?

jeremey-math.gif

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I see nobody here has posted a Golf score yet.  Maybe I should submit mine after all...I mean, I sent it privately to @Dr. Morbis because of our side-bet and because it blew my mind that I obliterated my personal best on what was only my second or third game.  I doubt I'd beat @bertsampson anyway, especially with me not playing either of the other two games, but it's hard not to post when the bar hasn't been set yet...

I had a -2 round on my first try, but I didn't even bother taking a picture. I know I've got to do better than that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

If you don't play, you don't score, thus a tie.  Again, if you can't get at least a draw, don't post your score.

1 minute ago, Krunch said:

Damn nice bar @the_wizard_666!  

I wanna set a bar too. Haven't got under par yet.  Got one hole in one, but too inconsistent to matter.  I'm rusty as hell

I've managed birdies on every hole, just never strung them together into one run before.  My prior PB was +2, which is why I said that obliterates it. On that run, I managed a birdie on 8 of the first 10 holes, and only bogeyed on holes 12 and 13.  No double bogeys, and a couple more birdies down the stretch got me my score.  Like I said, I'm sure some of y'all can do better, but it's a massive improvement on my personal best, so I'm happy with it.  Been playing since then too, and I just can't seem to pull it off again...my last run was +12, although to be fair I was using that run more to test clubs out anyway to pick the best options.  Obviously you adjust for the wind, but for the most part I think I have enough of an idea to maybe do a lot better consistently...

3 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

If you don't play, you don't score, thus a tie.  Again, if you can't get at least a draw, don't post your score.

You must be a fan of Antonin Scalia. I didn't care for him. I dont think that was the intent, but you may very well be right. Either way, setting the bar took some balls AND may have made dr m sweat some, so nicely done on wed score post 

• Haha 1

Just now, NESfiend said:

You must be a fan of Antonin Scalia. I didn't care for him. I dont think that was the intent, but you may very well be right. Either way, setting the bar took some balls AND may have made dr m sweat some, so nicely done on wed score post 

Under normal competition rules, you would still have to post a score to get participation and ranking points, but in this round, posting a score in a single game proves participation.  The rules in Tennis are clearly stated with regard to playing - if you chose not to play, it's -2 because anything not a win (including a draw) gives negative points.  With Soccer, the scoring is via score differential, so not playing is a draw.  Unless something is changed in the rules to say otherwise, not playing soccer just gives no points...and with how hard it is to score on the highest difficulty, I would be inclined to say that's entirely fair.

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

If I hadn't got a bad draw with high wind on the island hole, I would have been in the -5 range. 

That's why I'm marking what clubs to use on an average run...obviously high winds can mess with it, but it gives you an idea of how you should modify strategies to adapt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Under normal competition rules, you would still have to post a score to get participation and ranking points, but in this round, posting a score in a single game proves participation.  The rules in Tennis are clearly stated with regard to playing - if you chose not to play, it's -2 because anything not a win (including a draw) gives negative points.  With Soccer, the scoring is via score differential, so not playing is a draw.  Unless something is changed in the rules to say otherwise, not playing soccer just gives no points...and with how hard it is to score on the highest difficulty, I would be inclined to say that's entirely fair.

That's why I'm marking what clubs to use on an average run...obviously high winds can mess with it, but it gives you an idea of how you should modify strategies to adapt.

I have a similar list. I usually adjust with the wind, but that island hole is tricky.

14 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

That is what got me into this game a year or two back. Its a totally different challenge from other golf games in that it doesn't give you your distance to the hole from anywhere but the tee. That and when I first started playing, I was around my actual golf scores, just below bogey. Newer golf games are too easy. Anyone cant shoot 57

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

That is what got me into this game a year or two back. Its a totally different challenge from other golf games in that it doesn't give you your distance to the hole from anywhere but the tee. That and when I first started playing, I was around my actual golf scores, just below bogey. Newer golf games are too easy. Anyone cant shoot 57

The challenge is what I like most too.  There's a lot more thinking, although there's limitations too...the option to hit the ball high or low to give top/back spin would be nice, as would club recommendations (virtual caddy), but overall I like how much you have to practice to get even passable at it.

Yeah you have to make more objective distance calculations based on just sight.  The yardage difference from hole to hole ensures the distances don't stay constant even with the same club etc hit to hit.  It actually is a pretty gritty golf experience in terms of how it feels similar to playing real golf because your eyes fool you.  Other than the need to basically hook the ball intentionally since the aiming is discrete.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Either way, setting the bar took some balls AND may have made dr m sweat some

😂

I'ma go post me a -3 score and that's all you'll see outta me until Sunday.  Maybe that's the best I can do????????  Ol' Tapeworm did keep reminding me how much I suck, remember?  But I'll tell you this @NESfiend, if you post your best score now, I'll post mine and we can really have a competition as this week progresses... 😉

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

😂

I'ma go post me a -3 score and that's all you'll see outta me until Sunday.  Maybe that's the best I can do????????  Ol' Tapeworm did keep reminding me how much I suck, remember?  But I'll tell you this @NESfiend, if you post your best score now, I'll post mine and we can really have a competition as this week progresses... 😉

Your total score is 3 points, not 5...Tennis is -2 until you win two games...

2 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Your total score is 3 points, not 5...Tennis is -2 until you win two games...

I'm well aware of the rules, but I'm tabulating the points I've attainted so far, not the grand total under official rules of calculations for all three games.  Once I put a Tennis score up, I will adjust accordingly... 😛  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krunch said:

Damn nice bar @the_wizard_666!  

I wanna set a bar too. Haven't got under par yet.  Got one hole in one, but too inconsistent to matter.  I'm rusty as hell

I was going to ask this: if anyone had ever got a hole in 1; I've never seen it in my entire life in this game, so it's a freaking unicorn as far as I'm concerned right now.  At least I know that one's possible, along with the dozen or so eagles I've seen, though I'm also wondering about albatrosses, but the only hole that would be possible to get an albatross is the one with the small meadow in the woods on the left side, where you could tee off into the meadow, and then fluke out and have your approach shot go right in the hole...

13 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I wish you were still in Calgary so I could show you in person just how dramatically my Golf skills have improved in the last 48 hours... 😉

Well, you know the way to my place, get your ass down here and show me! 😛

EDIT: And bring me some more of my shit while you're at it 😆

Edited by the_wizard_666

5 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I was going to ask this: if anyone had ever got a hole in 1; I've never seen it in my entire life in this game, so it's a freaking unicorn as far as I'm concerned right now.  

Ive had 2 this week, both on number 3. Not kidding. I never get eagles on non par 5s on this game but Ive had like 4. Pure luck. Ive played a lot and I dont remember getting a hole in 1. Two in two days was nuts. Unfortunately, neither is a part of my current score 

2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Ive had 2 this week, both on number 3. Not kidding. I never get eagles on non par 5s on this game but Ive had like 4. Pure luck. Ive played a lot and I dont remember getting a hole in 1. Two in two days was nuts. Unfortunately, neither is a part of my current score 

Yeah, that's the shitty thing: I've birdied or better every hole multiple times, but it's so frustrating to not be able to do it all in a single run.  I've also eagled the first hole more times than I can count anymore, but none of them came on my current pb...