IGNORED

VGS NES TOURNAMENT - Top 8/9

BeaIank

5 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I got my one goal on a throw in. I was able to throw it in from mid field and kick it as soon as landed right from the spot you mentioned and it went right in the corner of the goal. 

Yup and dont forget the bending action. All of them that I scored on I bent perfectly into the corner. 

Before I figured that out, I had a little success with long punts from the goalie to wing player up the side of the field. One or two dribbles then shot from weird angle

22 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Yup and dont forget the bending action. All of them that I scored on I bent perfectly into the corner. 

Before I figured that out, I had a little success with long punts from the goalie to wing player up the side of the field. One or two dribbles then shot from weird angle

It's pretty rare to even get an open shot. It seems like any time I get close to the goal, I get swarmed by the computer players unless I shoot it immediately.

8 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It's pretty rare to even get an open shot. It seems like any time I get close to the goal, I get swarmed by the computer players unless I shoot it immediately.

Which is exactly why my hint may not be that helpful. Its a short game and getting open in a specific spot is hard as shit. My 2 goal game I was just hammering a to push the ball up field and found myself in a lucky spot twice 

27 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Which is exactly why my hint may not be that helpful. Its a short game and getting open in a specific spot is hard as shit. My 2 goal game I was just hammering a to push the ball up field and found myself in a lucky spot twice 

That's pretty much it. The computer seems to knock the ball out of bounds often, so I basically just throw it towards their goal, mash the shoot button and hope it goes in.

7 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Dr M saying that he "fluked" his way to two goals is pretty accurate as far as that goes for me as well. I just ended up in the right place at the right time for both of those goals. Very lucky. Games I played after were all 1-0. I found what may be a reliable way to score after that, but I could only get it to work once each game. Even when you know the right place to get the ball and get a shot off, that is a lot easier said than done with the way they play defense. Maybe you or someone else can figure out how to break this thing like we did Goal 2. Get the ball around where the blue line would be on a hockey rink. You want the goal and goalkeeper JUST far enough from you to where neither appears on screen. Fire a shot and bend it either left or right into goal corner. The goalkeeper only reacts to your players actions on screen, so he can be found out of position that way. Way easier said than done, but I got a few goals that way

Yeah, for me the issue with trying to do any strategies is that 15m halves are soooo short in real time that you would only really have a chance to get a couple goals after all that set up anyway.  My games felt like they took up less than five minutes of real time, though I didn't actually time them.  I honestly can't see anyone getting more than three goals unless someone figures out a way to break the game in a such a way that you don't have to spend half your time getting the ball back from your opponent.

All that said, I'm done with Soccer for good 😛

Edited by Dr. Morbis

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, for me the issue with trying to do any strategies is that 15m havles is soooo short in real time that you would only really have a chance to get a couple goals after all that set up anyway.  My games felt like they were less than five minutes of real time long, though I didn't really time them.  I honestly can't see anyone getting more than three goals unless someone figures out a way to break the game in a such a way that you don't have to spend half your time getting the ball back from your opponent.

All that said, I'm done with Soccer for good 😛

You get anywhere with tennis? My god its relentless

54 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

You get anywhere with tennis? My god its relentless

I tried to get it out of the way on Sunday but Skill 4 dude kicked my ever-loving ass, so I gave up for now.  I'll give it a go once I'm happy with my Golf score, but it took me until today just to get under par, so I better start improving fast...

7 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I tried to get it out of the way on Sunday but Skill 4 dude kicked my ever-loving ass, so I gave up for now.  I'll give it a go once I'm happy with my Golf score, but it took me until today just to get under par, so I better start improving fast...

I'm struggling with both of them too.  Haven't scored in Soccer, haven't won yet in Tennis.  This shit is friggin' hard

Think it's a Golf night. 

Events Team · Posted
13 minutes ago, Krunch said:

I too have a rules question

@guillavoie  Are the Switch versions of Tennis and Soccer acceptable?

Well they should be acceptable, since we already accept emulation. Naturally, just don't use any features not available when playing with a regular NES.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I would assume it would depend if the Switch versions are emulated or ported. 

Yeah they're just emulated and come inside the NES collection, it's a free archive that comes with having Switch membership.  Mostly common and first-party titles, the SNES one is similar but stuff gets added.

Anyway usually the button mapping isn't ideal so I'm likely gonna just do it as a stopgap, unless I miraculously win a Soccer game while training up.  I've used emu w/ keyboard for most games this year but that's not gonna fly with these 2 games

• Like 1

I see nobody here has posted a Golf score yet.  Maybe I should submit mine after all...I mean, I sent it privately to @Dr. Morbis because of our side-bet and because it blew my mind that I obliterated my personal best on what was only my second or third game.  I doubt I'd beat @bertsampson anyway, especially with me not playing either of the other two games, but it's hard not to post when the bar hasn't been set yet...

1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I see nobody here has posted a Golf score yet.  Maybe I should submit mine after all...I mean, I sent it privately to @Dr. Morbis because of our side-bet and because it blew my mind that I obliterated my personal best on what was only my second or third game.  I doubt I'd beat @bertsampson anyway, especially with me not playing either of the other two games, but it's hard not to post when the bar hasn't been set yet...

Set the bar! 

2 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Golf:  -7 / 65

IMG_20211129_221735722.thumb.jpg.49e8234a49d93c85ab1092023273b1f5.jpg

@NESfiend Consider the bar set.  Although I don't see myself playing either Soccer or Tennis, so this should be easily beatable by @bertsampson and at least three other people 😛

Nice score! You might try soccer. Im not sure you can just take a 0 there the way you can take negative 2 on tennis. People could lose points on a soccer score, so you may need to submit something on it to advance. 

I dont know how many people are going to actually win at tennis other than doug. Its pretty damn tough. 

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

Nice score! You might try soccer. Im not sure you can just take a 0 there the way you can take negative 2 on tennis. People could lose points on a soccer score, so you may need to submit something on it to advance. 

I dont know how many people are going to actually win at tennis other than doug. Its pretty damn tough. 

The rules state that your score for soccer is goals for minus goals against.  If you don't play, it's 0-0.  Tennis the rules explicitly state if you do not win, you get -2.  A draw from not playing is not a win, so that'd be -2 points.  6-0/6-0 gets two points and any other win gets you a push.  So based on the rules, my overall score is 5 points.

10 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

The rules state that your score for soccer is goals for minus goals against. 

Yes, so a player who loses at soccer by a score of 3-1 has 1 minus 3 for negative two points. But you would get zero for not playing at all? I could be wrong, but I doubt it