IGNORED

Zombie crypto company that owns the brand name Atari is releasing 3 new physical 2600 games

I know there's no actual Atari anymore, but the slick web design crypto bros who own their stuff are releasing Saboteur, Aquaventure, and Yars' Return. $150 LEs for a poster and some junk (potentially no box even?), yeesh. Cash in on that vintage gaming money. $50 for what sounds like just loose carts.

https://atarixp.com/

LEs are limited to ONLY 1983! Is there $900k worth of demand for expensive "limited" Atari knick knacks? Who knows. Might I recommend Audacity Games' Circus Convoy if you want to support new Atari development by the old guard 🙂 

Where can I purchase Atari XP cartridges? Can I purchase from outside the United States?
At this time Atari XP cartridges are only for sale at atarixp.com and are only available to customers residing in the United States. We anticipate adding international direct sales at a later date.

I got all the way to checkout before I discovered this.

• Angry 2

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Where can I purchase Atari XP cartridges? Can I purchase from outside the United States?
At this time Atari XP cartridges are only for sale at atarixp.com and are only available to customers residing in the United States. We anticipate adding international direct sales at a later date.

So basically they're taking a super niche product and reducing the possibility of selling it by restricting it to one market...SMRT!

Seriously though, that kind of shit is why I don't buy online much, at least from the US.  They're literally the only country with people that don't ship worldwide.  Damn lazy 'Muricans.

• Agree 2

Administrator · Posted
10 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Yeah, at the LEAST there should be little notes here and there stating that it's US only. So frustrating when this happens, especially if you're excited about a product. 

• Love 1

8 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

So basically they're taking a super niche product and reducing the possibility of selling it by restricting it to one market...SMRT!

Seriously though, that kind of shit is why I don't buy online much, at least from the US.  They're literally the only country with people that don't ship worldwide.  Damn lazy 'Muricans.

There's reasonable reasons, especially for smaller companies.  Shipping FROM the US is one of the most expensive places to ship from in the global.  This isn't because of location and transportation but largely treaty laws.

The follow up thought to that is "So, why can't you just charge the customer?"  Sure, you can, but it makes returns or disputes of broken goods that much more of a headache.   Small companies (and I'd call this a small company operation) don't want to ship out a $50 item, with $30-50 of shipping only have to dispute it's damaged and refund $80-100.  The numbers start to make it not worth it.

Even bigger companies may not want to hassle with it depending on the nature of their business.  I wish it weren't this way but it's for these very specific reasons, I some times hesitate to sale stuff internationally.  Scaling up those concerns to a larger operation than some guy who sales stuff on eBay seems and feels like quite a headache and the reward for the effort just isn't worth it.

12 minutes ago, RH said:

There's reasonable reasons, especially for smaller companies.  Shipping FROM the US is one of the most expensive places to ship from in the global.  This isn't because of location and transportation but largely treaty laws.

The follow up thought to that is "So, why can't you just charge the customer?"  Sure, you can, but it makes returns or disputes of broken goods that much more of a headache.   Small companies (and I'd call this a small company operation) don't want to ship out a $50 item, with $30-50 of shipping only have to dispute it's damaged and refund $80-100.  The numbers start to make it not worth it.

Even bigger companies may not want to hassle with it depending on the nature of their business.  I wish it weren't this way but it's for these very specific reasons, I some times hesitate to sale stuff internationally.  Scaling up those concerns to a larger operation than some guy who sales stuff on eBay seems and feels like quite a headache and the reward for the effort just isn't worth it.

All I see is excuses.  It's not any cheaper for me to send shit to the US, but I do it, as do thousands of other Canadians.  Although I will say, I've generally stopped selling to anyone I notice that doesn't ship to Canada.  If you won't ship to me, I sure as fuck ain't shipping to you.

Events Helper · Posted
10 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

excuse me, I ship to Canada!!

From Howard Scott Warshaw:
AS REGARDS the Atari XP "releases" I feel the need to set the record straight. As you likely know, I created Yars' Revenge and I wrote Saboteur virtually in its entirety. It was planned for release in 1984. There was no Yars' Revenge sequel planned for 1983 and I did not write one. Yars' Return was Curt Vendel's hack of my game, and he deserves credit for it. I had nothing to do with it.
And Aquaventure is something I never heard of or had anything to do with whatsoever. The idea that I'm the designer on it is totally false. Anyone who reads Once Upon Atari will know everything about my work at Atari and realize the truth about these games.
Credit in video games can be a sore point, as my readers are well aware. It's important to get it right. I have reached out to Atari to rectify the situation but have not heard back from them so far.
Spoiler Alert: I am, however, working on my one true Yars' Revenge sequel... and it is going to ROCK the VCS!!!
Yars truly, 🙂
HSW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, G-type said:
AS REGARDS the Atari XP "releases" I feel the need to set the record straight. As you likely know, I created Yars' Revenge and I wrote Saboteur virtually in its entirety. It was planned for release in 1984. There was no Yars' Revenge sequel planned for 1983 and I did not write one. Yars' Return was Curt Vendel's hack of my game, and he deserves credit for it. I had nothing to do with it.
And Aquaventure is something I never heard of or had anything to do with whatsoever. The idea that I'm the designer on it is totally false. Anyone who reads Once Upon Atari will know everything about my work at Atari and realize the truth about these games.
Credit in video games can be a sore point, as my readers are well aware. It's important to get it right. I have reached out to Atari to rectify the situation but have not heard back from them so far.
Spoiler Alert: I am, however, working on my one true Yars' Revenge sequel... and it is going to ROCK the VCS!!!
Yars truly, 🙂
HSW

Wait, what? Where did you get this?

12 hours ago, Jeevan said:

excuse me, I ship to Canada!!

You're an American, not a 'Murican.  There's a difference 😉

13 hours ago, G-type said:

In many cases, it's more expensive to ship out of the U.S than into it.

So to test the theory, I just looked into it.  I used my old postal code and a random zip code from Indianapolis (got it from a random generator, no shenanigans here).  I also used arbitrary values - used a 2 pound package, 6x4x4 inches (6x4 was the minimum for First Class International on USPS, and I had to have dimensions for Canada Post to even find a rate).  To ship from Calgary to Indianapolis, it came to $24 Canadian, working out to $19.05 USD.  The same package from Indy to Calgary costs $21.25.  So while yes, that example cost more, I hardly think anyone should complain about $2.20, especially when the buyer is paying for the cost of shipping anyway.  There is literally no excuse to not ship to Canada aside from being too lazy to take a minute to fill out the customs declaration. 

8 hours ago, G-type said:
Yars truly, 🙂
HSW

So basically this company can't even be arsed to give proper credit to the people who made the games...sounds like the old Atari...

19 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

So to test the theory, I just looked into it.  I used my old postal code and a random zip code from Indianapolis (got it from a random generator, no shenanigans here).  I also used arbitrary values - used a 2 pound package, 6x4x4 inches (6x4 was the minimum for First Class International on USPS, and I had to have dimensions for Canada Post to even find a rate).  To ship from Calgary to Indianapolis, it came to $24 Canadian, working out to $19.05 USD.  The same package from Indy to Calgary costs $21.25.  So while yes, that example cost more, I hardly think anyone should complain about $2.20, especially when the buyer is paying for the cost of shipping anyway.  There is literally no excuse to not ship to Canada aside from being too lazy to take a minute to fill out the customs declaration. 

I rarely like posts but when I do, it's because of logic.

12 minutes ago, G-type said:

it's in the AtariAge group.. I copy and pasted it verbatim... are you trying to fact check me?

Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 8.59.37 PM.png

Yes of course, I don't just believe it because you posted it. If I'm going to post it in another group, I need to verify it first.

Thanks, I hadn't scrolled down far enough in that group the first time.

21 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I NEVER like posts but when I do, it's NEVER HAPPENED.

Fixed that for you! 😘

And, I'm being serious by the way guys, check it out:

Screenshot_2021-11-19-10-09-12-31_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.8defba2db7ffe7e635dbecbd8110d95c.jpg

Dude has literally NEVER given a react of any kind, like EVER!

I mean, that's his choice, fine you know, but I'm actually more IMPRESSED than anything! How can a man resist so many shiny buttons to press, for so long?! 😯

Not even so much as a slip of the finger! 🤣

• Haha 2