IGNORED

8-Bit Christmas: A comedy about one boy's hunt to buy an NES (coming to HBO max Nov. 24th)

Teh_Lurv

• The title was changed to 8-Bit Christmas: A comedy about one boy's hunt to buy an NES (coming to HBO max Nov. 24th)
  • 1 month later...

I just watched this. Yeah, it is guilty of being a sort of "A Christmas Story for the 80's kids" and I'm not sure it's quite good enough to become a Christmas classic or anything...but you know, I kinda enjoyed it. It actually made me laugh a few times, which was nice. The child-acting and writing was a little rough in places but it wasn't nearly as try-hard as I was expecting and it also did a few things with the story that I didn't quite expect.

I'll probably watch it at least one more time before Christmas is over and I'll give it 3/5 stars as a first-impression viewing. I say, give it a try. You might like it.

0:59 --  Oops!  Movie takes place in 1987 or 1988...Power Glove doesn't arrive until 1990!

1:38 -- I guess given the time period that was for Zelda 2 and perhaps Mario 2 games!

Yes I do have A Christmas Story sort of deal...I wanted more than anything back in 1991 to get a Super Nintendo but I was always told I already got a Nintendo 😛   What I don't get is why dull no-fun parents (that was the one thing right from the start I NEVER wanted to become...you would've thought they were never kids 😞 )complained about the Super Nintendo but the Genesis didn't seem to bother anyone?

And to paraphrase Kevin Arnold, I did indeed get that Super Nintendo...three years later.

Edited by Estil

8 hours ago, Estil said:

0:59 --  Oops!  Movie takes place in 1987 or 1988...Power Glove doesn't arrive until 1990!

1:38 -- I guess given the time period that was for Zelda 2 and perhaps Mario 2 games!

Yes I do have A Christmas Story sort of deal...I wanted more than anything back in 1991 to get a Super Nintendo but I was always told I already got a Nintendo 😛   What I don't get is why dull no-fun parents (that was the one thing right from the start I NEVER wanted to become...you would've thought they were never kids 😞 )complained about the Super Nintendo but the Genesis didn't seem to bother anyone?

And to paraphrase Kevin Arnold, I did indeed get that Super Nintendo...three years later.

I can accept some date-related problems, because this is told from a historically remembered process, with NPH talking about his childhood. As much as we'd like to believe this is not the case, long term memories are fickle. Anyone ever been 100% sure something happened in their life a certain way, then after being confronted about it and fact checking dates or having your Mom dig out old photos, been proven 100% wrong?

IMHO, you can justify bad dates with a wave-of-the-hand by blaming it on "poor memory" and just enjoy the amalgum that makes a good story.

Edited by RH

Watched the other day, super cheesy 'Christmas story' copy cat. It felt like a Hallmark/lifetime movie but with nes. Plenty of relatable parts to me, some were entertaining but overall kinda lukewarm on it.

Edit: actually the Chicago purchase scene was the highlight of the movie, I loved that part.

Edited by drxandy