IGNORED

Is it a crime to stop and take an emergency leak in a non-foot trafficked public place?

phart010

You are the police officer. What do you do?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do?

• Let the poor guy go
    • Write this bozo a ticket

Let’s say you are a police officer. You driving down the highway and you see a car pulled off to the side of the road. Your stop and find someone standing off in woods taking a leak. When he gets back to his car you ask him what’s going on. He says he had an emergency and had to go right now otherwise he would have pissed his pants.

As the police officer, you have the discretionary authority to write a ticket for a number of different offenses, relating to both taking a leak in public and also related to unnecessarily stopping on the highway. 

Do you let it go or do you write the fella a ticket?

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1

Well, if you pulled over in a location where pulling over wasn't allowed you should at least have waited for the next rest stop...

I was kinda curious and looked it up, and got two conflicting results. One said you can pee in the roadside as long as you don't do it publicly visible, and the other said technically you can't pee in the woods, but if you have to go you have to go, so no one will frown on it. That's honestly pretty unclear, but either way I've never heard of police giving out a ticket to people urinating in a place like that.

Of course where ever you are located, things might be different from here.

Wait

Why does this topic exist on a video game forum? 😓

Edited by Sumez
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Let’s say you are a police officer. You driving down the highway and you see a car pulled off to the side of the road. Your stop and find someone standing off in woods taking a leak. When he gets back to his car you ask him what’s going on. He says he had an emergency and had to go right now otherwise he would have pissed his pants.

As the police officer, you have the discretionary authority to write a ticket for a number of different offenses, relating to both taking a leak in public and also related to unnecessarily stopping on the highway. 

Do you let it go or do you write the fella a ticket?

This scenario happened to a friend of one of my college roommates. He was partying with my roommate and left campus to drive home at around 3am. On the way, he pulled over on the side of a highway (two-lane; woods on either side) to take a pee. Unfortunately for him, he stopped right across from a police cruiser speed trap. Cops went over and arrested him for public urination. 

• Wow! 1
  • Angry 1

I'm sure this is mostly-illegal, but so long as you are hiding yourself, I can't see this being a problem unless a cop is just a real jerk or has to meet quota.

I mean, I kind of feel you shouldn't let it get to that point, but from my observation (but yet from experience) this is usually with small children who have bladders the size of a postage stamp and can barely make it home after picking up dinner from McDonald's and guzzling down dat Fanta.

A lot of people aren't reading very carefully.  The question isn't whether or not it's illegal.  The question is whether or not you would write a ticket if you were in a position to do so.  

If it were me, and the person's actions (whether illegal or not) were not impacting the safety of others, I would let it go.  

There's a different between illegal and unlawful. No, this is not illegal but it is unlawful and you can get a ticket for it.

What would I have done? If I had pulled over, talked to him and had this conversation already? At that point you're already too deep and know too much, you have to write a ticket. The better solution is not pull over at all because it's obvious what the guy's doing so you can play dumb and keep driving.

2 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

A lot of people aren't reading very carefully.  The question isn't whether or not it's illegal.  The question is whether or not you would write a ticket if you were in a position to do so.  

If it were me, and the person's actions (whether illegal or not) were not impacting the safety of others, I would let it go.  

The thread title is literally asking if it's illegal.

12 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Oh wait, he edited it after I clicked on it initially. It was illegal when it showed in my activity list and now it's showing crime.

I think I just added two words that were missed in the post. I don’t recall editing the title, but I could be mistaken 🤗

The cops were following me one time for about two miles through a residential area so I was driving really carefully. They eventually pulled me over for a non-reason. When I told them I would pee myself if they didn't let me piss somewhere they let me pee in the bushes. They didn't give me any type of ticket, but afterwards they told me I was lucky they don't charge me for using the bathroom in public. 

• Haha 1