IGNORED

Millions of Americans Quit Their Jobs... BUT

14 minutes ago, Estil said:

Yes people need to realize that disabled people don't necessarily need or use a wheelchair and/or oxygen tank.  You know how disabled people routinely get those handicapped parking credentials to put on their plate and/or rearview mirror?  In my case my mental/emotional disability/issues are such where it'd be too dangerous for me to drive at all. 😞 

We have such a long long road to go in order to better help people with mental disorders. That said, I really wonder where we would be now if it wasn't for Freud? Again, granted he was wrong about some of his major ideas, but he really ushered in the era of psychology. I think he needs to be remembered as someone that greatly helped and inspired humanity.

30 minutes ago, avatar! said:

We have such a long long road to go in order to better help people with mental disorders. That said, I really wonder where we would be now if it wasn't for Freud? Again, granted he was wrong about some of his major ideas, but he really ushered in the era of psychology. I think he needs to be remembered as someone that greatly helped and inspired humanity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, avatar! said:

Bingo.  I think people rag on him as much as they do because they have specific statements from the guy and know his name.  Imagine if people had that kind of dirt on the cavemen who started figuring out how to do brain surgery back before they figured out a better alternative to stone tools.  Instead of lambasting those guys and talking about how barbaric they were for what they did and how they were doing it, people get inspired about what those people were doing as far back as they were, with what comparatively garbage tools they had available to them.  To a degree, I think that Freud (and all of the other early psychologists) should probably be looked at in the same way.  I mean, shit, as far as that goes, as someone else pointed out, they still haven't really figured most of that stuff out to get it down to the degree of actual science the way virtually every other medical field is, so give the early adopters who stumbled in the dark a break.

• Agree 2

On 10/20/2021 at 11:02 AM, Strange said:

On the topic of people not wanting to work - a friend of mine was let go from her second job, and she needed the income (despite having a degree and a roommate, one job wasn’t enough) so she looked for a second job to replace the one she lost.

Her Excel sheet is at…. 150 applications? Less than 10 callbacks. People will say it’s her, but I’m telling you genuinely it’s not and she’s more than qualified for what she’s applying for. She works hard and has no red flags. The worker shortage is artificial.

I believe it. I think part of the reason for the worker shortage is businesses are content to play the waiting game until job hires are desperate enough to accept pre-pandemic job wages and conditions. 

Business Insider ran a story of a Florida man who tested the "no one wants to work" by sending 60 job applications for entry level positions at local businesses complaining the loudest about lack of workers. He got one interview.

"Two weeks and 28 applications later, he had just nine email responses, one follow-up phone call, and one interview with a construction company that advertised a full-time job focused on site cleanup paying $10 an hour.

But Holz said the construction company instead tried to offer Florida's minimum wage of $8.65 to start, even though the wage was scheduled to increase to $10 an hour on September 30. He added that it wanted full-time availability, while scheduling only part time until Holz gained seniority.

Holz said he wasn't applying for any roles he didn't qualify for."

"By the end of September, Holz had sent out 60 applications, received 16 email responses, four follow-up phone calls, and the solitary interview.
In a Facebook post on September 29, which went viral on Twitter and Reddit as well, Holz said, "58 applications says y'all aren't desperate for workers, you just miss your slaves.""

https://www.businessinsider.com/worker-applied-to-60-jobs-got-one-interview-labor-shortage-2021-10

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2
  • Sad 1

I know that there are some that are likely to see that it’s from TikTok and write it off, but a lot of people online (not just TikTok) have been reporting what I posted earlier. Companies crying out about no one wanting to work, but not actually hiring in order  to keep wages paid out to a minimum while maintaining public sympathy.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

It's clear that the worker shortage varies from field to field. There is absolutely a shortage in Health Care, for example. Staffing agency pay is bananas right now for nurses. You have facilities offering as high as 80hr on the seacoast and along the Maine border to staffing agencies. That leads me to believe they are unable to hire full time staff.

Any of those people  ever try applying for a restaurant position? Lakes region Applebee's is advertising 18-21hr. As an industry insider, I'm telling you this is how you get hired at restaurants. You just go in and ask a manager if you can work there. You'll do whatever and be flexible and willing to learn or be traIned and just work hard. Odds are you'll get hired on the spot. Around here, dishwashers are getting paid north of 15. Fast food has reached 15. With all the clamor for a $15 min wage, may as well make it official. Seriously. Walk in and get hired. It's almost that simple right now.

• Like 1

I'd like to believe both sides are probably right and wrong in this, the classic two way street.

I think it's a mix of businesses that suffered don't want to pay even higher money (in general, retail or labor jobs in particular) than before or give into every extra fluffy thing people want now because they know a lot got spoiled by al that money that was handed out for over a year NOT to work, on top of the stimulus payouts time and again.  I get that entirely, people got utterly spoiled by the government, so I can see where an entitlement mind space would come from thinking, if I go back, I better get what I was...or they'll do X and Y ...or else.

And the companies are like... F'that, we lost thousands, millions, tens...hundreds of millions or more (locally to nationally) so they're not having it.  I think what you may see is a big mix of people who want more and can't handle they're not going to get the ride they did, and companies who will bend a little or not at all so there's a real clash.  The clash being an office style revolving door of employees, largely people who got too comfy, slackers, and even dedicated workers who get dragged down by other peoples crap.  One week you can drive up to a fast food place and they have normal hours, the next week drive through only, and another time they decide to tape up a closing at 2PM sign shutting down 8hrs early.  If people flake and stop coming or act like dicks and get warned, then canned...the few who do act right either stick or get worn down too and bail.  WHen you have nothing but new employees consistently, weird hours, and pissed off customers it LOOKS like a work shortage.  But is it, or is it a will to work shortage really?

At the office level and above though, that's a different deal, so many realized the shit ton of money they save in insurance premiums, utilities, leases and the rest NOT having people in office but using their equipment sent out to a users(employees) home (it saves a lot.)  But the shortage isn't really there, it's more along the line of the classic snide comment of 'slave wage' jobs.

Even my HS degree only wife got a $37.5K/yr job to start at my workplace a couple months back, ended up training fast and above the others, already despite the usual window thinking of sending her and some others from home to work there.  WAH is a big perk, the savings, privacy, flexibility to work whenever as long as you get the time in, that's a big bonus...and that's on top of the usual yearly raises and other bonus payouts on performance too.  McDonald's, Foot Locker, Kroger, Target, etc aren't going to do that...hah.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2021 at 6:28 AM, RegularGuyGamer said:

If families can afford more goods, suppliers will raise the cost of goods to balance out the demand. Isn't that Macro 101?

Do you think that bumping the federal minimum wage from $7.25 to $15 would also literally double the price of a Big Mac

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Link said:

Do you think that bumping the federal minimum wage from $7.25 to $15 would also literally double the price of a Big Mac

SOME min wage increase is loooong overdue but suddenly jumping to $15 will only make things worse...do like they do with Social Security and have it gradually increase say, every 2-3 years or so?  That's what they should've been done along; then we'd already be at or close to $12-$15 now, mostly no muss no fuss.

And that whole $2 something for tipped employees is beyond STUPID.  They should get at least the for real min wage just like anyone else.

I know some of my more libertarian friends would ideally like to see no min wage at all but there's just no way that could realistically work.  You have to have SOME min wage.

Edited by Estil

38 minutes ago, Link said:

Well, yeah. 

So what’s your solution to where we actually are right now?

*shrugs* I don't see what else can realistically be done.  Damn it, Jim!  I'm a history/political science major, not a politician! 😛

Edited by Estil
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Link said:

I know I said this in another post, but I would argue right now the most basic entry level jobs like supermarket baggers and fast food cashiers are paying close to 15 right now! Might as well make it law at this point. How would it affect farm work? If I'm not mistaken, farm worker labor laws are slightly different, or in some cases actually quite shocking. Now There's and unglamorous career!

Bobby makes 100 Big Macs per Hour, at a wage of $7.50/ hour. Or 0.075 per Big Mac.

If his wage is increased by 5x to $37.50 / hr then it now costs McDonalds $0.375 per Big Mac, or a total increase of $0.30

Of course; Bobby making so much money now is more motivated and can flip more burgers. So maybe the price doesn’t scale linearly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Big Mac is an inelastic good right? Beef is federally subsidized so wage increases effect those prices differently. 

Next try. 

Many restaurants have already raised prices as high as 15-20% due to major increases in commodity prices as well as labor through increases in employee hourly rates. And if my recent trip to McDonald's taught me anything (2 sausage mcgriddles, egg McMuffin meal with OJ, and medium iced coffee all for north of $22 including NH meals tax) is that their prices are affected too. The prices are certainly doubled from what they were in 2007ish when the current min wage was established.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Bobby makes 100 Big Macs per Hour, at a wage of $7.50/ hour. Or 0.075 per Big Mac.

If his wage is increased by 5x to $37.50 / hr then it now costs McDonalds $0.375 per Big Mac, or a total increase of $0.30

Of course; Bobby making so much money now is more motivated and can flip more burgers. So maybe the price doesn’t scale linearly.

Pretty accurate. Realistically it's more like Mcdonalds is unable to hire more staff and are doing more volume than they ever have, so Bobby has to flip 125 burgers per hour as well as prepare 125 fries whether he likes it or not because they have been unable to hire a fry guy and simply needs to figure out how to do it all by being extra productive. McDonald's has rewarded him by increasing his pay by 75-100%.

Edited by Kguillemette

2 hours ago, Estil said:

And that whole $2 something for tipped employees is beyond STUPID.  They should get at least the for real min wage just like anyone else.

Technically they do.  If they don't make up the difference in tips, their employer is supposed to make it up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Big Mac is an inelastic good right? Beef is federally subsidized so wage increases effect those prices differently. 

Next try. 

Pick whatever product you want. Prices only increase by the same ratio as wages if there is no overhead and only one item is made or moved per hour. Menwhile wage stagnation has not kept prices from going up. What line is there to hold by that?

3 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Technically they do.  If they don't make up the difference in tips, their employer is supposed to make it up.

Exactly.  The whole thing that some restaurants do where they require wait staff to claim xx% of whatever their total tickets were, whether they made it or not, is not only total bullshit, but illegal as hell to boot.  If the minimum wage nationwide gets jumped the way it's been talked about for a while, hopefully more and more waitstaff technically working for slave wages will stand up against that bullshit and take their employers to task for refusing to make up the difference as they're supposed to.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting...

Screenshot-from-2021-12-06-16-57-33.png

I'm pretty sure he wasn't smiling like that while firing his employees...

"You guys know that at least 250 of the people terminated were working an average of 2 hours a day while clocking in 8 hours+ a day in the payroll system? They were stealing from you and stealing from our customers who pay the bills that pay our bills. Get educated," Garg wrote, according to a Blind post viewed by Fortune... In an interview with Fortune, Garg said terminated employees who feel they "actually had great performance" should reach out to the company.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I saw that clickbait headline on the mass zoom firing, but now reading that paragraph I'm really curious if that rant has some merit.

Is he a dick, or did he take out some entitled trash who were defrauding their time clock like some antiwork stooges?

I think if that was really the fact of the matter, you would just do it via letters from HR, rather than some sort of video production where you go on camera and talk about how you almost cried the last time you had to do something like this.

The optics certainly would have been better in that case, IMO.

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

I think if that was really the fact of the matter, you would just do it via letters from HR, rather than some sort of video production where you go on camera and talk about how you almost cried the last time you had to do something like this.

The optics certainly would have been better in that case, IMO.

Also getting lumped in with co-workers with poor work ethic and then having to defend yourself or reach back out to the company AFTER you get fired is ridiculous. Sounds like this guy is trying to make excuses and backpedal from a very poor and publicized 'firing presentation'.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil
  • Like 1