IGNORED

Millions of Americans Quit Their Jobs... BUT

Digressing from the politics and tax issues, I think there are 2 main groups who quit their jobs:

1. Those who lose their job and living on unemployment benefits. These are people not likely to spend more on games, but less. 

2. Those who quit but have got another job (eg. online business). This group might still be able to maintain their hobby spending habits.

The other thing I want to point out, is that the million dollar spenders we’re reading about are likely the significantly wealthy, and are likely to have high income secured jobs. Though on the other hand, even rich millionaires have to be smart about their spending, which raises the issue of market manipulation being at an all-time high while the economy is at an all-time unpredictable.

My wife just had our first kid over the summer and I told her she's more than welcome to wait her job at any time to stay home with the baby and the ones that follow. I only make about $75k a year but if we sold her car, we'd be able to get by pretty easily I just wouldn't contribute much to my savings for the 5-7 years she's home w the kids.

I think that's a lot of what the pandemic jobless ended up being. Either people who realized the time with family is more important and can live minimally with one income or their people's part time jobs. I know at least 5 people who used to work weekends or night after teaching that just haven't gone back to that grind. I know there other people who either decided to stay home w the kids or had their wives stay home. 

According to Elizabeth Warren, the two income trap drives prices to rise as retailers realize families can afford higher prices with two incomes. So the more people who decide to leave the workforce isn't necessarily a bad thing in the long run.

Also the $300 tax credit for each kid Uber 6 and $250 for each kid under 16 every month makes it easier to live off the government tit. So if you're getting the $14k from welfare, govt health care, govt housing, and now that extra cash on top makes it was easier to be a welfare queen/king. 

• Like 1

@a3quit4s I've had to deal with a partially disabled wife, sponging off my family largely for a decade to not be homeless living paycheck to paycheck.  Fuck Jerry, seriously... It's all about *I* when the *we* didn't give a shit each time I tried to get help for this family because *we* weren't poor enough for their bullshit standards.  So food stamps, no help with medications, no free doctor visits, no snap cards...jack shit.  She finally just got some full time work, we're slightly better off than before with the pay there after the mooch stopped so it'll take years to recover yet realistically.  Government assistance is only there if you're the right type of person, right class of person, right type of ultimately person that fits the government narrative.  I wasn't going to take a paycut or quitting, ruin my credit, lose my home, just so I could get a government housing space to be in with all that provided...that's no rescue, no bail out, and definitely no hand up.  It was a middle finger.

@CodysGameRoom Generalizing.  Typically in college or high school you get those low quality, part time jobs, the basic work like fast food, general retail type stuff to make a few bucks, it never is meant to be life sustaining full time work into your later 20s, 30s, 40s+ to live off of.  Making pizzas may bring joy, but are we talking about someone who wants to just skate by in life or someone who may be owning a pizza shop as that's two different things entirely.  One went along in life from bad circumstance to hoping doing whatever will get your whatever better, it rarely does, and well if they're 40 and stuck making $12/hr at Domino's that's their choice/problem not trying for decades to do better.

@KokiriChild I get what you're on about with the 0.01% or 1% I do.  But you're being an idealist.  Reality is, the shitbags in congress right now who preach that (the left) say one thing, and then fuck the other.  They say they want the fat cats and multi-millionaires, they they repeatedly pass tax laws to take more from people making 400k+ a year, or the shit those wankers snuck in the so called 'relief bill' in March 2021 where starting in 2022 if you make over $600/yr they'll want their cut when those 1099ks come out in 2023.  I'm sure all those over $600/yr tax cheats will really balance the books right?  That's basically the base they preach to how evil the rich and big business owners are how they'll protect them, defend them, get those greedy fucks money to make their lives better through taxes...and then in reality hit the poor and middle class with the hardest hit tax burden instead while lying through their grinning evil teeth.  I get the idea wasn't so much to go after me or others here selling off a collection privately or doing random help soldering this, stickering that...it was gig workers from door dash to uber they want the cut of those few thousand or so they make a year...those who typically do that shit to get by because their real job doesn't pay enough -- so kind, so kind.

• Sad 1

Here's my report from the ground:

Staffing has leveled off on appearance, at least at my job, but the reality still stands that the quality of help has gone down with turnover near an all time low for new employees at about 1-2 months with the occasional 3-4 mostly due to performance or attendance issues. Wages have increased for quality help (the price paid to employees you want a shot at keeping long term) from a $18 average give or take two years ago to the low to mid 20s now, marking a huge increase in pay. Demand for benefits beyond paid time off still low though at many smaller chains or single larger stores (companies with total number of employees between 50-500) but also are beginning to be offered for the first time at many places. Well run small businesses are buying up all the good help from big box/major chains by offering as much as 25-50% more pay, taking advantage of the bureaucratic red tape it takes to get raises from places like that, and now are feasting with  25-50% increased sales year over year! My local Walmart never has more than one register open outside of self scans and struggles to restock basic commodities like milk, juice, baby wipes, etc. Local grocery chain Market Basket(I have been made aware that they pay well above industry average, and have a decades long reputation of investing in their employees.) always has a small army of employees hovering around and the shelves are always always full.

Resident restaurant/hospitality worker reporting. We are witnessing the growth of a new "middle class of business" for lack of a better term that is achieving growth by syphoning off the employees of major retailers, which in turn leads to a truly better product or experience leading to sustainable growth via stronger business models. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Link said:

People who think raising minimum wage will severely impact the cost of goods have a diminished understanding of doing business. Pay for bottom level workers is one of the lowest costs of operation. Zero surprise that someone named @obnoxiousdoesn’t understand the real world.

If families can afford more goods, suppliers will raise the cost of goods to balance out the demand. Isn't that Macro 101?

Edited by RegularGuyGamer

9 minutes ago, obnoxious said:

That's true as long as the number of such goods remains the same.

Quantity drops as prices rise unless 1 of the 4 things change

1. Price of related goods or services

2. Income of the buyer

3. Tastes or preferences of the buyer

4. The expectation of the buyer (especially about future prices)

So if the income of the buyer increases then the cost of goods can increase with supply staying the same. 

Literally Marco 101 😹

• Like 1

I'm certainly no genius. But if something hasn't worked in 50+ years, (looking at you taxes, healthcare, education, trickle down economics, etc.) why not switch it up and trying something different? We're like a guy that can't figure out why his head is hurting as he hits himself in the head with a hammer.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I get what you're on about with the 0.01% or 1% I do.  But you're being an idealist.  Reality is, the shitbags in congress right now who preach that (the left) say one thing, and then fuck the other.  They say they want the fat cats and multi-millionaires, they they repeatedly pass tax laws to take more from people making 400k+ a year, or the shit those wankers snuck in the so called 'relief bill' in March 2021 where starting in 2022 if you make over $600/yr they'll want their cut when those 1099ks come out in 2023.  I'm sure all those over $600/yr tax cheats will really balance the books right?  That's basically the base they preach to how evil the rich and big business owners are how they'll protect them, defend them, get those greedy fucks money to make their lives better through taxes...and then in reality hit the poor and middle class with the hardest hit tax burden instead while lying through their grinning evil teeth. 

A037E6AA-9BD0-4D93-9D06-815BAD74248E.jpeg.b984444ebcc314d31c3797eeb8e888e7.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, phart010 said:

A037E6AA-9BD0-4D93-9D06-815BAD74248E.jpeg.b984444ebcc314d31c3797eeb8e888e7.jpeg

Ah yes, the man who found that sniffing a ton of cocaine helped with the after effects of sniffing a bunch of heroin. The keen inventer of the speedball. 

The man who said children were to blame for being molested bc they must've been lusting after the adults. 

Go on, oh wise one. Tell me about the ways of the world. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Ah yes, the man who found that sniffing a ton of cocaine helped with the after effects of sniffing a bunch of heroin. The keen inventer of the speedball. 

The man who said children were to blame for being molested bc they must've been lusting after the adults. 

Go on, oh wise one. Tell me about the ways of the world. 

Ha I wasn’t aware of these things. In his defense, cocaine and heroine were probably not illegal in his day.

I’d have to say though he must have been a real douchebag if he really blamed the children.

The quote still sounds good though 

8 hours ago, phart010 said:

Ha I wasn’t aware of these things. In his defense, cocaine and heroine were probably not illegal in his day.

I’d have to say though he must have been a real douchebag if he really blamed the children.

The quote still sounds good though 

Lol it's all good. That guy is a piece of garbage. His work is basically the equivalent to clickbait headlines that make outlandish claims with basically 0 evidence just to get views. 

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Lol it's all good. That guy is a piece of garbage. His work is basically the equivalent to clickbait headlines that make outlandish claims with basically 0 evidence just to get views. 

Screenshot-from-2021-10-22-08-08-33.png

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-12-things-sigmund-fre_b_7225976

In commemoration of Mental Health Awareness month this May, the following list, compiled with help from the American Psychoanalytic Association, are 12 examples of the gifts Freud left to us

Freud was certainly wrong about some of his most famous ideas - that everyone has an Oedipus/Electra complex for example. But calling the father of modern psychology "garbage" strikes me as asinine at best. He is one of the most influential figures in the 20th century, and will likely continue to be one of the most influential people in history. A lot of good (psychoanalysis and treatment) has come from his ideas.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Screenshot-from-2021-10-22-08-08-33.png

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-12-things-sigmund-fre_b_7225976

In commemoration of Mental Health Awareness month this May, the following list, compiled with help from the American Psychoanalytic Association, are 12 examples of the gifts Freud left to us

Freud was certainly wrong about some of his most famous ideas - that everyone has an Oedipus/Electra complex for example. But calling the father of modern psychology "garbage" strikes me as asinine at best. He is one of the most influential figures in the 20th century, and will likely continue to be one of the most influential people in history. A lot of good (psychoanalysis and treatment) has come from his ideas.

Lol ok

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jan/07/therapy-wars-revenge-of-freud-cognitive-behavioural-therapy

For a start, Freud (this story goes) has been debunked. Young boys don’t lust after their mothers, or fear their fathers will castrate them; adolescent girls don’t envy their brothers’ penises. No brain scan has ever located the ego, super-ego or id. The practice of charging clients steep fees to ponder their childhoods for years – while characterising any objections to this process as “resistance”, demanding further psychoanalysis – looks to many like a scam. “Arguably no other notable figure in history was so fantastically wrong about nearly every important thing he had to say” than Sigmund Freud, the philosopher Todd Dufresne declared a few years back, summing up the consensus and echoing the Nobel prize-winning scientist Peter Medawar, who in 1975 called psychoanalysis “the most stupendous intellectual confidence trick of the 20th century”. It was, Medawar went on, “a terminal product as well – something akin to a dinosaur or a zeppelin in the history of ideas, a vast structure of radically unsound design and with no posterity.”

The man's a hack and a L7 creeper. Even the trash can gets a steak every once in a while. 

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Lol ok

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jan/07/therapy-wars-revenge-of-freud-cognitive-behavioural-therapy

For a start, Freud (this story goes) has been debunked. Young boys don’t lust after their mothers, or fear their fathers will castrate them; adolescent girls don’t envy their brothers’ penises. No brain scan has ever located the ego, super-ego or id. The practice of charging clients steep fees to ponder their childhoods for years – while characterising any objections to this process as “resistance”, demanding further psychoanalysis – looks to many like a scam. “Arguably no other notable figure in history was so fantastically wrong about nearly every important thing he had to say” than Sigmund Freud, the philosopher Todd Dufresne declared a few years back, summing up the consensus and echoing the Nobel prize-winning scientist Peter Medawar, who in 1975 called psychoanalysis “the most stupendous intellectual confidence trick of the 20th century”. It was, Medawar went on, “a terminal product as well – something akin to a dinosaur or a zeppelin in the history of ideas, a vast structure of radically unsound design and with no posterity.”

The man's a hack and a L7 creeper. Even the trash can gets a steak every once in a while. 

Nothing says unbiased and thoughtful discussion like calling someone "trash" and "creeper". By the way, you should read the article you linked, because it is pro-Freud

Cheap and effective, CBT became the dominant form of therapy, consigning Freud to psychology’s dingy basement. But new studies have cast doubt on its supremacy – and shown dramatic results for psychoanalysis. Is it time to get back on the couch?

In 2004, a meta-analysis concluded that short-term psychoanalytic approaches were at least as good as other routes for many ailments, leaving recipients better off than 92% of all patients prior to therapy. In 2006, a study tracking approximately 1,400 people suffering from depression, anxiety and related conditions ruled in favour of short-term psychodynamic therapy, too. And a 2008 study into borderline personality disorder concluded that only 13% of psychodynamic patients still had the diagnosis five years after the end of treatment, compared with 87% of the others.

On 10/22/2021 at 10:48 AM, avatar! said:

Nothing says unbiased and thoughtful discussion like calling someone "trash" and "creeper". By the way, you should read the article you linked, because it is pro-Freud

Cheap and effective, CBT became the dominant form of therapy, consigning Freud to psychology’s dingy basement. But new studies have cast doubt on its supremacy – and shown dramatic results for psychoanalysis. Is it time to get back on the couch?

In 2004, a meta-analysis concluded that short-term psychoanalytic approaches were at least as good as other routes for many ailments, leaving recipients better off than 92% of all patients prior to therapy. In 2006, a study tracking approximately 1,400 people suffering from depression, anxiety and related conditions ruled in favour of short-term psychodynamic therapy, too. And a 2008 study into borderline personality disorder concluded that only 13% of psychodynamic patients still had the diagnosis five years after the end of treatment, compared with 87% of the others.

Words are hard. It's tough make it to the end 😭

Perhaps the only undeniable truth to emerge from disputes among therapists is that we still don’t have much of a clue how minds work. When it comes to easing mental suffering, “it’s like we’ve got a hammer, a saw, a nail-gun and a loo brush, and this box that doesn’t always work properly, so we just keep hitting the box with each of these tools to see what works,” said Jules Evans, policy director for the Centre for the History of Emotions at Queen Mary, University of London.

Now show us on the doll where Freud touched you but remember, you asked for it bc you were clearly listing after him. 

On 10/22/2021 at 11:19 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

Lol ok

I think we can all agree psychology isn’t an exact science. Mental health isn’t something you can just “judge a book by its cover”, doing a blood test or by having some scans. Whether you believe in psychology or not is entirely up to you, but there is no denying Freud laid a great amount of foundation for modern psychology/psychiatry. Any subject needs their own original eccentrics/visionaries. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GPX said:

I think we can all agree psychology isn’t an exact science. Mental health isn’t something you can just “judge a book by its cover”, doing a blood test or by having some scans. Whether you believe in psychology or not is entirely up to you, but there is no denying Freud laid a great amount of foundation for modern psychology/psychiatry. Any subject needs their own original eccentrics/visionaries. 

I know exactly what you mean.  When someone has mental/emotional health issues it opens up a whole new way of discrimination...people not believing you are truly disabled.  Or even yourself even knowing exactly what it is you're dealing with (which I didn't even find out at all until 2006).

5 minutes ago, Estil said:

I know exactly what you mean.  When someone has mental/emotional health issues it opens up a whole new way of discrimination...people not believing you are truly disabled.  Or even yourself even knowing exactly what it is you're dealing with (which I didn't even find out at all until 2006).

Physical pain can be helped with analgesics and people around you will likely give you the corresponding sympathy. Emotional pain, on the other hand, can be just as debilitating, and paradoxically, no one can sympathise adequately but only yourself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GPX said:

Physical pain can be helped with analgesics and people around you will likely give you the corresponding sympathy. Emotional pain, on the other hand, can be just as debilitating, and paradoxically, no one can sympathise adequately but only yourself.

Yes people need to realize that disabled people don't necessarily need or use a wheelchair and/or oxygen tank.  You know how disabled people routinely get those handicapped parking credentials to put on their plate and/or rearview mirror?  In my case my mental/emotional disability/issues are such where it'd be too dangerous for me to drive at all. 😞 

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1