IGNORED

What is - OBJECTIVELY - the best NES / Famicom game?

T-Pac

I think SMB3 is hard to top. Just the sheer amount of level variation eclipses 90% of the games on the console. Add the game physic, enemies, bosses, level progression, graphics and music and you really start going past what should even be possible on the system. 

Not my favorite game on the system but if I had to put my finger on the best game, objectively, I think SMB3 takes the prize. 

I'd love to see someone convince me (us) otherwise though. 

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

Super Mario Bros. 3.

I think it's as close to perfect as an 8-bit game can be. The visuals, the controls, the difficulty, the whistles. Literally everything about it is fantastic.

The real question is: What is the second best NES/Famicom game?

That list starts getting real long, real fast. LoZ, Metroid, Mega Man 2, Contra, Castlevania, Punch-Out!!

I could go on for a while.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Mario 3 had enormous hype behind it, pretty much delivered on said hype, sold more than any other game on the console besides Mario 1 and Duck Hunt and then or now is overwhelmingly viewed as better than the former, has way more quality content than basically any similar game of the time, and remains compelling on replay thanks in part to all the secrets. Only real problem is that it’s a bit on the long side for a game with no saving but Warp Whistles help alleviate that. It’s pretty much been the consensus best game on the console ever since it launched, at least in the west.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

With your criteria it's SMB3 however it should have had a freaking save feature which is why I wouldn't personally place the game #1. I know we have some psycho on here who claims the no saves improved the game and warp whistles are just as good though they are not. It's a great game though that 1 thing.. grr 

• Like 2

@MagusSmurf @Nintegageo
Ask and thou shall receive. 🙂  (This is Infidelity's Super Mario All-Stars super MMC5 hack cart for the Nintendo.)
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2422/
This hacks SMB3 changing it up to a MMC5 using a very large cart (1MB PRG and 1MB CHR) to fit SMB+SMB2j+SMB2(USA)+SMB3 and a hidden copy of the late NES(PAL) Mario Bros arcade conversion.  They all work magnificently and each of them saves data, even Mario Bros for high scores.  The others like on SNES have 4 save slots per game, but uniquely doesn't save only at the start of a world, but by the actual stage including stored lives. It's a hell of an upgrade on the SNES game basically.  I'm happy that I own this on an actual cart, my favorite modern Famicom treasure.

Maybe since everyone is basically sucking up to SMB3 since it's basically *the* game given the qualifier given, perhaps it should for sake of argument and variety be excluded entirely.  It's obviously the answer, even if you don't like it, people acknowledge SMB3 for what it is, peak Nintendo, even Kirby that came out later and outshines it in some ways still doesn't cut it off the top.  But what if SMB3 didn't count?  Kirby?  Castlevania III?  Something Mega Man? I'm really wondering where this would go.

• Like 2

Actually, @Tanooki is right, Kirby is even more technically competent than SMB, and it can save too. All the different powers and everything, many different worlds to explore and mini-games, plus it's a super fun game to boot...

Kirby's Adventure may actually be the objectively best game on NES, all things considered. 🤔

• Like 1