IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - P.O.W.

BeaIank

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I had two cheap deaths at the end of my run. I might be able do a little better if I had time, but I couldn't guarantee it.

I'm nervous. I'm back at the tank with no deaths so far, and I have it paused.

I hope to god I don't blow it this time, lol.

• Like 1

I'm 100 points behind the first place score from the 2014 contest. Interesting. I'm not going to try again though.

1st - CLAYB1RD - 275,900 +11 points
2nd - Balloon Kid - 272,100 +10 points
3rd - arch 8ngel - 262,500 +9 points
4th - Caleb47 - 101,800 +8 points
5th - Czar5 - 99,700 +7 points
6th - arnpoly - 98,000 +6 points
7th - Vectrex28099 - 47,700 +5 points
8th - JamesRobot - 42,000 +4 points
9th - BriGuy82 - 26,200 +3 points
10th - BilltownSparty - 22,800 +2 points

51 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

My score would have just missed being 3rd that week. Still not bad though.

Thank you Doug and Richard for pushing me to improve my score or I probably would've been satisfied with 250k. That's about what I got last time we played this. I had second place. The top score was around 258k by 8Bitdontquit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Thank you Doug and Richard for pushing me to improve my score or I probably would've been satisfied with 250k. That's about what I got last time we played this. I had second place. The top score was around 258k by 8Bitdontquit.

Beating the game with 8 lives left is an awesome accomplishment. Congratulations!

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Beating the game with 8 lives left is an awesome accomplishment. Congratulations!

I went into all the rooms too. I killed all the gun/grenade guys. I was lucky to get past the lasers with my health, brass knuckles and armor intact so that helped.

Maybe I could've gotten another few thousand from killing motorcycle guys but fuck that. No way.

2 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I went into all the rooms too. I killed all the gun/grenade guys. I was lucky to get past the lasers with my health, brass knuckles and armor intact so that helped.

Maybe I could've gotten another few thousand from killing motorcycle guys but fuck that. No way.

I went into all of the rooms too, but I couldn't get the hang of hitting the motorcycle guys either.

3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I made it to the final boss deathless. I still can't believe I didn't choke. I was so scared.

Congrats man.  I haven't started yet - if you're that high up you've 99.9% locked the genre.  (I have to leave that 0.01% to make you a little nervous).  I have essentially no familiarity with POW, i played it once in a contest for the minimum.

1 minute ago, Krunch said:

Congrats man.  I haven't started yet - if you're that high up you've 99.9% locked the genre.  (I have to leave that 0.01% to make you a little nervous).  I have essentially no familiarity with POW, i played it once in a contest for the minimum.

Haha, thanks man. I was expecting you to suddenly reveal a huge score on the last day as you sometimes do. I thought you were silently working on your score all week.

42 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Haha, thanks man. I was expecting you to suddenly reveal a huge score on the last day as you sometimes do. I thought you were silently working on your score all week.

Hahaha yeah I've done that but it's the case at this time in the season where I'm moreso picking up and playing on last day, not really hitting my own standards.  Even Thunder & Lightning was a fail for me cause I had prior experience, think I coulda been a contender for 1st.  It's still been a good shot and I think I'll get a tourney spot right?  I didnt really check on how many slots there were.  Next year I'm going uber serious though.  Gonna spend this winter perfecting several gaming stations, I've gained lots of space in the past year.  Startin in POW as we speak

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Hmm it appears I can still tie @NESfiend for beat em up runner-up, I just have to beat him.  Technically i can take sole runner up if I beat him and so does someone else.  Anyway not doing too great so far

Im still traveling back from family reunion. Saw plenty of the title screen, but every time I tried to sneak off and play I got caught. Shitty timing for a week that matters in the contest, but I never would have caught Michael and I think he had tie breaker anyway. 

Will probably get a run or two in tonight, but Michael is definitely safe to put the crown on

19 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Im still traveling back from family reunion. Saw plenty of the title screen, but every time I tried to sneak off and play I got caught. Shitty timing for a week that matters in the contest, but I never would have caught Michael and I think he had tie breaker anyway. 

Will probably get a run or two in tonight, but Michael is definitely safe to put the crown on

Hmm yeah I dunno im not really havin too good a go here, I thought this was in my wheelhouse but a few in game limiting factors are seemingly working against me here (namely, one-hit deaths but maybe more importantly the strength of the enemies without powerups).  Just not doin too good.  That's a plus for you though

19 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I wouldn't mind giving it another shot, but there's no way I'm clearing it with 8 lives. It turned out to be a fun game.

15 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I wouldn't mind giving it another shot, but there's no way I'm clearing it with 8 lives. It turned out to be a fun game.

Basically where I'm at.  Good chance I'll still get bumped out but I'm just like ehhh.  I want this time right now hahaha