IGNORED

Inspired by the "What are you driving" thread, what was your first car?

RH

48 plymouth coupe special de luxe

it sat by my bus stop for a year or two and i fell in love i begged my dad. after it went through hurricane george the hood came loose. he got it for $2000 put a set of points in it and drove it away. straight six flat head three on the tree. what i learned to drive on. place holder pic until i find one of mine with me standing with it.

04886063-E41E-467B-8E32-6F1654A95B30.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 2

My first one was a 2005 Honda Civic Special Edition, I paid $17,300 CAD. I spent 10 years replacing every piece of it with custom modifications. By the time I was done, the stereo system was a 7 inch touchscreen in the dash, connected to an actual computer in the trunk, running custom software for media management, mapped to a custom front end for touch inputs. It was actually pretty unreal, I entered the car in a couple of local car shows including Driven To Perform.

I ended up selling it to a girl with a broken leg, her friend had to test drive it for her.

20130424_172804.jpg

• Haha 1

I dont have any pics but here ya go...

1989 Camaro RS - Red with matching red wheels like the Camaros did back then, with a black dash and red seats and carpet.

305 supercharged with nitrous

I wrecked it about a month and a half after I turned 16 by hitting a nasty dip in the street at about 130mph and folded the front bumper and part of the hood under the car.  Sold it that day.

• Wow! 1

13 hours ago, Ozzy_98 said:

2006 Pontiac GrandAm,

I just noticed I said 2006, but 2005 was the last year for Grand Am's. So it's sometime between 1999 and 2005.

12 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Your generation of Grand Prix was definitely my favorite for that car.  My wife had the last generation when we first got married.  We sold it when we bought her minivan.  I was never much of a fan of that car.  The styling was just too bulgy for me.  Not nearly as clean as your generation.  

I was not happy with the remodeled GrandPrix's from that generation. They dropped the 2 door models (But at that point I wanted a sporty 4 door anyways), and were underpowered for what you got. The supercharged models had 260 HP, which was kind of weak, and the same power at the G8's V6 model. They had a new GTX model with a V8, but it was weaker than the G8s weakest V8 by a fair amount. 

I will say with the G8, I did have one quirk that took a lot to get used to, that car has some blind spots that take getting used to. The A pillars (Which hold the front window in) are very think and bulky. When there could be a car in that area, I have to wait longer than expected to make sure there's no cars in there. The drivers side rear blind spot all cars have isn't too bad, but you need to look over your shoulder not just use the mirrors. Often when merging onto freeways people will get into that blind spot and be gone from my view. 

9 minutes ago, Ozzy_98 said:

I was not happy with the remodeled GrandPrix's from that generation. They dropped the 2 door models (But at that point I wanted a sporty 4 door anyways), and were underpowered for what you got. The supercharged models had 260 HP, which was kind of weak, and the same power at the G8's V6 model. They had a new GTX model with a V8, but it was weaker than the G8s weakest V8 by a fair amount. 

That last gen of Grand Prix occurred during GM's "bigger is better" era and the car was just too heavy.  It was also a little annoying that despite the large exterior of the car, the interior wasn't much bigger than a normal mid size sedan.  Like I said, I didn't pick that car out.  My wife bought it before we met.  

On the flip side, it was a reliable car and parts were cheap.  The W Body had been around forever, and the 3800 series was also towards the end of it's life, so replacement parts were readily available and super cheap.

On 8/31/2021 at 9:39 AM, ICrappedMyPants said:

A midnight blue 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis, my Grandpa’s car that he could no longer drive since he was mostly blind, in 2004. I almost slipped into a ditch during a horrible snow storm even though I was going less than 20 mph. I loved the seats on that car though. They were so comfortable.

524DD534-6D66-4680-ABEC-EF459573F038.jpeg

I had one of these, too. Mine was burgundy, though. That 302 V8 was so gutless, it probably only had 150HP and was heavy as all get out. The interior was and still is luxurious. Power everything and a front bench seat!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Count said:

1991 Dodge Grand Caravan - Information and photos - MOMENTcar

Not mine, but it looked just like this. A 1991 Dodge Grand Caravan. I had dual exhaust and a short ram intake installed. It had a nice factory sound system and the 3.3 V6 was no slouch. That said, if a boy comes to pick up your daughter in one of these, well...

Man, I love wood grain. Faux or otherwise. I know it's lame to like an old minivan you never owned, but I always appreciated the bold move those Caravans had back then.

• Like 1

1993 Black Honda Civic

No a/c,no power windows, no power locks, $400K miles on it when my parents bought it for me as a graduation present. They got it dirt cheap because they "wouldn't pay more than $1000 for a used car". This was the year 2000. Needless to say it ended up costing them nearly $10K between repairs and then having to buy me a second car just a year after they got me the Civic.

My second car was a 1997 Black Nissan Altima. Also had a lot of problems.

But the first car I bought myself was a 2006 White Mazda 6. Great car but it was a gas guzzler so once it was paid off I got my next car. 

Fourth car was 2013 Green Kia Soul which I bought brand new. Car gave me o problems until it hit the 7 year mark then it was one thing after another and eventually the engine gave out, just shy of 8 years owning it. So I got a new car late last year.

Fifth car is 2021 Orange/Red Kia Seltos which is a lease because I needed a car right away when my last one died. I love it but I don't miss having monthly payments.

Once the lease is up I have no idea what I'll get but probably something cheap.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

My first was a rusted out '79 Ford LTD in 1995 for fifty bucks.  Drove it till the engine caught fire!  Man that thing was a boat, and the front seat was basically a sofa.  You coud sit four up front and still be comfortable enough to drive.  Good times, good times.....

That’s Awesome! Mine was also a ‘79 LTD. Booger green. Bought it off my friends Mom for $100. Had to stick a screwdriver in the solenoid to get it started. Used to go blazing down alleys in it nailing the old metal 55 gallon drum garbage cans. Side swiped a tree with it and sold it to a pizza delivery guy for $150 bucks. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Darth Vader said:

That’s Awesome! Mine was also a ‘79 LTD. Booger green. Bought it off my friends Mom for $100. Had to stick a screwdriver in the solenoid to get it started. Used to go blazing down alleys in it nailing the old metal 55 gallon drum garbage cans. Side swiped a tree with it and sold it to a pizza delivery guy for $150 bucks. 

Yeah, I loved skidding out and doing donuts in those old rear-wheel drive vehicles.  Mine was supposed to be robin's egg blue, but it looked more like the Dude's car from The Big Lebowski in terms of it's actual color...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Bearcat-Doug that 94 gt is a nice base. a real 5.0 

i know its unpopular but i always like the look/stance of that car.

I didn't know that was an unliked version of the Mustang. There was a girl in my school who's dad "paid cash" for one. We were a poorer district and she was definitely the "rich kid" in my grade. When she turned 16 (about 3 years later) that was her car. I was admittedly jealous.

Edited by RH

Events Helper · Posted
6 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I always liked the look of those better than the early 90s models.

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Bearcat-Doug that 94 gt is a nice base. a real 5.0 

i know its unpopular but i always like the look/stance of that car.

boxy foxy is the way to go imo.

• Agree 1