IGNORED

Mayonnaise Cake

fcgamer

I was browsing through my FB feed a few moments ago, and one of my friend's mother had put up an image for one Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake.

I personally hate mayonnaise, the to thought of putting it into a cake I find to be extremely repulsive, just thinking about it makes me feel sick.

Why would someone ruin something as "safe" and delicious as a cake in this way?

14 minutes ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

It can be used an egg replacer. Mayo is just eggs and oil, which go into a cake anyways. I had to use it once when I didn't realize I was out of eggs, you couldn't even tell it was mayo. The cake just turned out nice and fluffy. 

whats the mayo parts per egg ratio?

like a teaspoon of mayo os equal one egg?

Edited by docile tapeworm

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

I was browsing through my FB feed a few moments ago, and one of my friend's mother had put up an image for one Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake.

I personally hate mayonnaise, the to thought of putting it into a cake I find to be extremely repulsive, just thinking about it makes me feel sick.

Why would someone ruin something as "safe" and delicious as a cake in this way?

I'm with you 100%, I can't stand mayonnaise! Which I guess thinking about it is kind of odd since I like eggs just fine. Totally hate mayonnaise though.

• Agree 1

We put mayonnaise in raw cake batter all the time. It’sa secret ingredient known by many to create ultra moist, fluffy, decadent chocolate cakes.

It doesn’t give any “Mayo” taste to the cake either, and the only ingredient in mayonnaise that isn’t normally added to cake batter is vinegar and lemon juice…again, doesn’t leave that in the flavor profile of the cake

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

We put mayonnaise in raw cake batter all the time. It’sa secret ingredient known by many to create ultra moist, fluffy, decadent chocolate cakes.

It doesn’t give any “Mayo” taste to the cake either, and the only ingredient in mayonnaise that isn’t normally added to cake batter is vinegar and lemon juice…again, doesn’t leave that in the flavor profile of the cake

I honestly want to believe you guys, but is there anyone here that hates mayonnaise yet likes mayonnaise cake, and can therefore give a statement?

just Google recipes for “mayonnaise cake” and look at the sheer quantity of results, and photos.

I hate all forms of fish but absolutely love Caesar dressing…that stuff is literally grounded whole anchovies, eyes, guts, brains, last meal, and all. (Not really sure on that really, but I know anchovies are important to the recipe)

Edited by ThePhleo

15 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

just Google recipes for “mayonnaise cake” and look at the sheer quantity of results, and photos.

I hate all forms of fish but absolutely love Caesar dressing…that stuff is literally grounded whole anchovies, eyes, guts, brains, last meal, and all. (Not really sure on that really, but I know anchovies are important to the recipe)

Well on the other hand, my parents hate anchovies yet sometimes enjoy Caesar salad with dressing - however, they always ask the restaurant first if the house dressing contains anchovies or not, as they'd been burned before and hated it.

25 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

Portillo’s chocolate cake is really popular here in Chicago. They use mayonnaise in it. You wouldn’t even know.

Yes, I came here to say this. It's really good. Although I do know people who loved that cake, later found out it had mayonnaise in it, and have a mental block that prevents them from wanting to get it again. 

2 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I honestly want to believe you guys, but is there anyone here that hates mayonnaise yet likes mayonnaise cake, and can therefore give a statement?

So, I guess that speaks to this quote. As long as you can get past the fact that what you're eating contains mayonnaise, it is possible as you really can't taste it. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Yes, I came here to say this. It's really good. Although I do know people who loved that cake, later found out it had mayonnaise in it, and have a mental block that prevents them from wanting to get it again. 

My dad is this way with sour cream. He loved Cheetos for years until we told them they have sour cream in them. He hasn’t had them in probably close to 20 years.

• Wow! 1

58 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

The maintenance guy at my old work used to make peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches in the kitchen all the time. He'd spread them out, slap them together and take a bite. Yuck.

Want to react, but not sure which to choose... again, want a barf choice.

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

My dad is this way with sour cream. He loved Cheetos for years until we told them they have sour cream in them. He hasn’t had them in probably close to 20 years.

I have a really good sugar cookie recipe that involves sour cream.   You'd never even know it was in there.

Moderator · Posted

Hmm I might have to look up a recipe and try this. I’ve made chocolate cakes that use vinegar instead of eggs and they taste pretty good.

I guess it comes down to whether an ingredient is functioning as a chemical to make the final product (like eggs or flour) or as a flavor. Sometimes they perform as both, like vanilla, and thus what might make that ingredient unpalatable on its own actually very tasty when other ingredients take the edge off.