IGNORED

AFA/VGA Population Reports Coming

Gulag Joe

29 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Here ya go buddy:

image.png

If you want customers to use your product, don't raise the barrier of entry. I'll pass.

Imagine trying to walk into a store and someone steps out in front of you and won't let you by until you interact with them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Imagine trying to walk into a store and someone steps out in front of you and won't let you by until you interact with them.

You mean like a greeter you see at tons of stores?

Say, "No, thank you," (equivalent of clicking on the x) and carry on. It's not that hard.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

If you want customers to use your product, don't raise the barrier of entry. I'll pass.

Yeah but on the flip - don't pretend like the site is unusable cuz you can't be bothered to click an "X", there's far more egregious stuff out there. I agree that it's a terrible idea to toss a newsletter sign up on a user's first visit, but it's also not broken the site and can be ignored (and a cookie is stored that makes it not show again).

Posted (edited)

VGA actually put those road blocks up to prevent us from seeing how many Al Unser Jr Turbo racing games they’ve graded. I’m in the process now of contracting with that brilliant legal team that tried to sue Wata because a lot of people started spending more money than you’re allowed to on the video games they graded.

Edited by Gulag Joe

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

You mean like a greeter you see at tons of stores?

Say, "No, thank you," (equivalent of clicking on the x) and carry on. It's not that hard.

No, a greeter would be the equivalent of a modal with a dismiss property where it disappears when unfocused. This is an indismissable modal that requires direct interaction. That's the equivalent of stopping your attempt to go into the store and instead giving your direct attention to the greeter, then interacting specifically with them until they allow you to pass. There is no option to ignore.

To anyone else here that develops websites, this is a prime example of exactly what not to do.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

No, a greeter would be the equivalent of a modal with a dismiss property where it disappears when unfocused. This is an indismissable modal that requires direct interaction. That's the equivalent of stopping your attempt to go into the store and instead giving your direct attention to the greeter, then interacting specifically with them until they allow you to pass. There is no option to ignore.

To anyone else here that develops websites, this is a prime example of exactly what not to do.

Are you really arguing over clicking an "x"? Raising the barrier of entry? April Fool's was 20 days ago. This is nuts!

Hey, I wanted to watch the Heat game, but you know, I disagree with having to have my ticket scanned on the way in. I'd like to go to the museum, but you need to stop me and charge me for admission? Pass.

Jacobbatalon What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I have to watch your car in the intro to your videos? PASS.

Edited by Mega Tank
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

Are you really arguing over clicking an "x"? Raising the barrier of entry? April Fool's was 20 days ago. This is nuts!

Hey, I wanted to watch the Heat game, but you know, I disagree with having to have my ticket scanned on the way in. I'd like to go to the museum, but you need to stop me and charge me for admission? Pass.

Jacobbatalon What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I have to watch your car in the intro to your videos? PASS.

Welcome to ASD.

10 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Do you only develop websites and not actually visit any? This is like half of the web now.

Is it annoying? Yes. Are customers suddenly not using websites because of it? No, they click the x and move on.

20 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Do you only develop websites and not actually visit any? This is like half of the web now.

Is it annoying? Yes. Are customers suddenly not using websites because of it? No, they click the x and move on.

Your logic for why it's acceptable is because lots of people do it. That doesn't make sense, can I murder someone if lots of other people do it?

My solution: make their site analytics suffer from my choices

Your solution: do nothing

On 4/21/2024 at 1:39 PM, Code Monkey said:

Dick‘s Sporting Goods does this shit and I hate it.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Your logic for why it's acceptable is because lots of people do it. That doesn't make sense, can I murder someone if lots of other people do it?

Way to be hyperbolic about it. I'm saying most customers don't care. They may be annoyed, but it's not this great barrier to entry you're making it out to be. It's a simple x.

18 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

My solution: make their site analytics suffer from my choices

Yeah, I'm sure they're going to miss your one decision to not visit because you can't move your mouse three inches. 

• Like 1

Eh, we all have our soap boxes and gripes that cross the line for us personally.  @Code Monkey just had more and differing standards than most of us.

I still haven't bought a new Sony product from retail since I bought The Foo Fighters In Your Honor album the day it came out and as soon as I popped it into my work PC, it bricked it due to Sony's intentional, driver malware.  I'm sure some people I need to give it a rest by now but... I won't.

21 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Way to be hyperbolic about it. I'm saying most customers don't care. They may be annoyed, but it's not this great barrier to entry you're making it out to be. It's a simple x.

Yeah, I'm sure they're going to miss your one decision to not visit because you can't move your mouse three inches. 

I'm not sure I want to involve everyone else here in participating in this debate but there are some aspects here that I find interesting in regards to socioeconomics.

Whether or not anyone else cares about it has no bearing on whether I care about it. The barrier of entry is objectively higher here, how much higher is irrelevant, my threshold of acceptance is 0.001. A properly coded website should use modals with dismiss properties onblur, this is an inexcusable offence.

Your second comment is that I shouldn't try if my attempt will not make a large difference. So according to your logic, nobody in a democracy should vote because single votes don't mean anything. I make my choices because I have the option of making a choice, not in pursuit of any end goal. I'm not asking you to protest with me, I'm simply making my choice because I can. You should make your choice and respect me making my choice, there's room for both of us.

34 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I'm not sure I want to involve everyone else here in participating in this debate but there are some aspects here that I find interesting in regards to socioeconomics.

Whether or not anyone else cares about it has no bearing on whether I care about it. The barrier of entry is objectively higher here, how much higher is irrelevant, my threshold of acceptance is 0.001. A properly coded website should use modals with dismiss properties onblur, this is an inexcusable offence.

The whole thing is that you're trying to make it out to be an impenetrable barrier to entry. It's not. It's annoying, it's not good web design, but it is not the fortress you're exaggerating it to be.

If you want to live your life in absolutes, fine, but be prepared to take some snark. 

34 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Your second comment is that I shouldn't try if my attempt will not make a large difference. So according to your logic, nobody in a democracy should vote because single votes don't mean anything. I make my choices because I have the option of making a choice, not in pursuit of any end goal. I'm not asking you to protest with me, I'm simply making my choice because I can. You should make your choice and respect me making my choice, there's room for both of us.

I realize sarcasm is lost on you sometimes, but you know damn well what I mean. 

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

Heads up.  VGA population report is back online.

https://apps.cgagrading.com/submissions/population-report/

Not a good interface.  The search is case sensitive (and many games are in their database with the title in full caps)

I've poked around a bit and there are some interesting numbers:

They show 3 sealed Jaguar console systmes have been graded  (and 2 two 'qualified' systems).  and apparenlty, they've graded 30 sealed Earthbounds

On 4/21/2024 at 11:12 AM, Code Monkey said:

Look I hate pop ups as much as the next guy but if that’s the worst I gotta see on their site I think we’re doing alright lol

also

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by inasuma

4 hours ago, Gloves said:

Lmaoooooo bro what year is it? Make your site responsive, lazy shits. 

Screenshot_2024-04-30-10-56-08-174.jpg

As soon as I saw this I was instantly convinced to not pursue whatever information they have. I think it might be behind a login as well so that’s another hard pass for me