IGNORED

Thank you for sniping.

CMR

You know when you bid on that one item and you realize you don't really need it or want something else more and you wish you could take it back.  Then, at the last minute, a savior swoops in and snatches the high bid.  Thank you mister snipe bidder, whoever you were.

Since someone is going to ask, it was a CIB NES system, the mario/duck hunt combo.  The listing said it was broke, but it probably just needed cleaning.  I would have wound up paying about $80 if I had won, not a bad price, but I really didn't need it.

• Like 2

Oh yeah I've done this. Most recently (about 2 years ago) on a brand new in box Dreamcast system since I always wanted one. My highest bid was $150 and when I placed the bid I didn't realize I didn't have $150 and it was several days from payday. I was winning for about 2 days and by the time I realized I didn't have enough, it was too late to retract my bid. I had a message to the seller typed out i my head if I won to try and negotiate that he wait a week for the money, since most sellers won't do that, I really didn't want that to happen. Luckily a sniper took me out at the last minute thankfully. I then thought about it and realized I could have a Dreamcast so much cheaper and didn't need it brand new anyway. I only bidded on the brand new one because it was good price.

One time I bidded on Gradius V on PS2. I put a bid of $35 + $15 for shipping. After bidding I realized it was the Japanese version, which I have no interest in. I tried canceling the bid and contacting the seller to no avail.

I had accepted my fate,  nobody is gonna pay US price for the Japan version. Then when the auction ended, I found that someone outbidded me. Thanks Mr Sniper 🙏 

49 minutes ago, phart010 said:

One time I bidded on Gradius V on PS2. I put a bid of $35 + $15 for shipping. After bidding I realized it was the Japanese version, which I have no interest in. I tried canceling the bid and contacting the seller to no avail.

I had accepted my fate,  nobody is gonna pay US price for the Japan version. Then when the auction ended, I found that someone outbidded me. Thanks Mr Sniper 🙏 

I feel like sometimes people snipe to deny someone else from having something, rather than trying to get something for a good price. I've seen auctions that end 2-3 times with no bids, then as soon as someone puts a bid in, the sniping starts.

Also, I'm pretty sure that some sellers bid on their own auctions to try to drive up the price. Serves them right if they wind up winning their own auction. 

I missed out on a few cibs years ago that I over bid on from the excitement of it all. Lucky for me someone came in and bid me up at the past minute. Ended up finding them cheaper as bins later. It was zero the kamikaze squirrel and twisted tales of spike mc fang.

Edited by ALTQQ

I know exactly, definitively, intimately what you mean. I smell what you're cooking. I'm on the trolley. 

Back in 2012, during the height of my irresponsible first collecting binge, I was buying left and right. A few times, when I knew I was overdoing it, I had this happen. Didn't learn my lesson, but I was grateful.