IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - F1-Race (Famicom)

BeaIank

22 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Alright, this is as good as it's going to get from me; I can't beat the fourth track 😞

F1 Race.JPG

The hairpin turn right before the finish line. On the second lap, seems like there is always a car positioned to where you either slow down to get by him or crash. If I do survive it, slowing down takes all your momentum way and the clock runs out.  Its beyond brutal

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PII said:

Still time, I suppose...

Thats a testament to how crazy hard it really is. You took down rad racer 2 and that game is a straight up bitch. All week I wondered if someone would get thru level 4. Makes me feel better no one did, yet

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Thats a testament to how crazy hard it really is. You took down rad racer 2 and that game is a straight up bitch. All week I wondered if someone would get thru level 4. Makes me feel better no one did, yet

Well, I managed to join the level 4 club albeit at the buzzer...  Yeah, this one; jeez.  It is Savage.  After all the joking around about it's short-comings/giving it a solid go, I'd hafta say that in retrospect I probably could've given it a bit more cred.  It's def. a great competition game and I wouldn't mind seeing it again.  Would've liked to have prepared more for this one and started sooner, but ever onward; Bring on Double Dragon and congrats to everyone who had the stomach to get into F-1 Racer.

Now, I just have to figure out how to get a little sugar into @NESfiend 's R.C. Pro-Am II Cart. gas tank... Hmmm...

(I kid, I kid!)

10 minutes ago, PII said:

Now, I just have to figure out how to get a little sugar into @NESfiend 's R.C. Pro-Am II Cart. gas tank... Hmmm...

(I kid, I kid!)

The fact that there is a competition where a week is being dedicated to pro am 2 is proof that the world is still a great place. Going to be epic

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I actually think F1 is a very well-made and fair game.  The only issue for those of us playing in 2021 is that it comes from the "Git good or fuck off" era of video games, so it's tough to approach it head on when living in a world where video games are now pleasure-filled comfort cruises that are essentially designed to make us happy.  F1 Race does not want to make anybody happy...

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

the "Git good or fuck off" era of video games

This cracked me up hard. Its accurate and makes me wonder if I need to take a long look at why I only want to play those games and have no interest in todays "pleasure cruises " lol.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

It actually made me happy. I will be crushing this thing once I managed to get actual time off to rest and play.

Yes!!!! Post a score that puts us all to shame. Someone needs to conquer that 4th track. Would be cool to see outside a YouTube video. 

I was actually thinking today that its somewhat weird that people generally disliked this and rr2, but really enjoyed anartic adventure. Anartic plays so similar to racers like these with added elements of jumping and items to collect. Its cuter too I guess. When I first played it, I thought people would complain that 4 racers was already 4 too many and that aa was a hidden 5th

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Yes!!!! Post a score that puts us all to shame. Someone needs to conquer that 4th track. Would be cool to see outside a YouTube video.

Well if this had been a post-season tournament game, I guaran-damn-tee you that I (and probably others) would have beaten the fourth track.  But in the middle of a long regular season, the law of diminishing returns comes into play, and it's just not worth the time and effort it would take to do it, all for the sake of adding a couple of extra throw-away points to your regular season total...

7 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I actually think F1 is a very well-made and fair game.  The only issue for those of us playing in 2021 is that it comes from the "Git good or fuck off" era of video games, so it's tough to approach it head on when living in a world where video games are now pleasure-filled comfort cruises that are essentially designed to make us happy.  F1 Race does not want to make anybody happy...

Preachin' to the choir with this comment.  Personally I see the "Git good or fuck off" era of video games (2nd & 3rd gen) as diversions and accompaniments to Real Life.  Sometimes I'll even make a case that some are educational as far as problem solving.  When I watch someone playing the newer stuff (7th, 8th, 9th gen) I usually see vast open worlds with gameplay that has no set end/win/death and to me it looks suspiciously like a replacement for real life.

¡Speed, Timing & Pattern Recognition Forever!

Events Helper · Posted
11 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I was actually thinking today that its somewhat weird that people generally disliked this and rr2, but really enjoyed anartic adventure. Anartic plays so similar to racers like these with added elements of jumping and items to collect. Its cuter too I guess. When I first played it, I thought people would complain that 4 racers was already 4 too many and that aa was a hidden 5th

the jumping made Antarctic adventure.  really added a nice element to it.  the shifting of gears does not treat me well in this game

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeevan said:

the jumping made Antarctic adventure.  really added a nice element to it.  the shifting of gears does not treat me well in this game

Im going to hack a rad racer 2 cart to feature a penguin instead of a car and all you bastards will all eat it up. Im not actually going to do that because Im not capable of anything like that at all. But it would prove a point!

Crazy ranting joke aside, the jumping is what makes that game really unique. So much pleasure derived from catching those colorful fish in the air

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Crazy ranting joke aside, the jumping is what makes that game really unique. So much pleasure derived from catching those colorful fish in the air

I really enjoyed anticipating whether or not to use the flight propeller and when to slow down in mid jump during a succession of pits.

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned