IGNORED

Trilogy vs Trilogy - Mega Man vs Mega Man X

Nintegageo

Trilogy vs Trilogy  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Mega Man vs Mega Man X

• Mega Man
    • Mega Man X

If you're going 2-3-4 or 3-4-5, or 4-5-6, then OG Mega Man, sure.

But while 3 is one of the best game of the whole series, the first NES Mega Man is kinda weak. Meanwhile all the first three (or first four, really) X games are all great, so I'm guessing it's a tie from me.

1 hour ago, fox said:

Dont sleep on the later entries.  X4 is the best in the series and MM6 falls just behind 2&3.

Agreed, just thought simpler to do the original trilogy with each. MM1 and X-3 are generally considered weaker while X1/X2 and MM2/3 are considered great games in their own right.

• Like 1

And who could forget Rush introduced in the third game with his neat new secret "weapon" and Mega's new feature? 😄

020121.png

BTW, in tribute to a certain other Rush (the radio talk show host guy) I like to be cute and call Rush's (the dog) modes things like "the Ditto Coil", the "Ditto Jet", the "Ditto Sub" and so on 😄 

Edited by Estil
  • Haha 2

X.

I love the story, and it genuinely makes me eyeroll when people are dismissive of the narrative, with lines like "It's not like you're playing these for the story...". When that Day of Sigma OVA unlocked in Maverick Hunter X, it was a visual representation of everything I used to storyboard in my head while I was in animation school; it's glorious and I still wish for a series in exactly that style even though Xebec went under in 2019.

Besides the story, the controls are as tight as a drum, the graphics are vibrant and nuanced, the music...the music is incredible, and the bosses became a lot more interesting with the animal motif.

X is no.3 in my top 5 games of all time. It's a desert island game I could continue to play over and again. X2 is a gem, and X3 - for all it does differently - is a game with a ton of character that I always enjoy playing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renmauzo said:

X.

I love the story, and it genuinely makes me eyeroll when people are dismissive of the narrative, with lines like "It's not like you're playing these for the story...". When that Day of Sigma OVA unlocked in Maverick Hunter X, it was a visual representation of everything I used to storyboard in my head while I was in animation school; it's glorious and I still wish for a series in exactly that style even though Xebec went under in 2019.

Besides the story, the controls are as tight as a drum, the graphics are vibrant and nuanced, the music...the music is incredible, and the bosses became a lot more interesting with the animal motif.

X is no.3 in my top 5 games of all time. It's a desert island game I could continue to play over and again. X2 is a gem, and X3 - for all it does differently - is a game with a ton of character that I always enjoy playing.

Maybe I’m an old geezer but I prefer when they keeps story telling optional in these action games.

Maverick Hunter X wasn’t too bad because they had beautiful animations. But X5 and X6 were absolutely unplayable in my opinion. These were perfect examples of games that were ruined by forced narration and would have otherwise been decent games.

If going by just the first 3 titles, The X series.

There's nothing wrong with Mega Man 1, 2, and 3. In fact, I would put Mega Man 3 above Mega Man X and X3 in terms of fun. However, the same cannot be said about MM 1&2. They are both fine games, but compared to the rest of the classic MMs, they don't hold up(for me at least).

... I think I'll go overboard and bullet point my problems with all the games(Classic and X).

Mega Man

• Certain level sections feel overly long and/or empty (Ice and Bomb Man)
  • Spikes that are instant kill even with I-Frames (fixed in later entries)
  • Hyper Bomb and Super Arm
  • Magnet Beam is required but is easily miss-able (end of Wily 1)
  • The propeller platforms in Ice Man and Wily 1 (extremely glitchy)
  • Obnoxious enemy placements (Wily 2 Bladers and Elec Man Big Eye)

Mega Man 2

• Heat Man's Yoku Blocks (put over pit, overly long, and poorly programmed(better working version seen in Mega Man 9's Endless Attack)
  • Can't pause with weapon projectile on screen (Time Stopper must be used all at once)
  • Awful Weapon Ammo Values (Crash Bomb and Atomic Fire)
  • Certain enemies too bullet spongy (Sniper Joe + Mech and Changkey Makers)
  • Wily Stage Boss Death flashing (it seems worse then the other games here)
  • Boobeam Trap
  • The Alien being weak to only 1 weapon AND any other weapon used against it (including normal buster) HEALS IT

Mega Man 3

• Spark Shock (only damages bosses and its damage output is either equal or lesser to another weapon)
  • Top Spin (just wonky, still better then Spark Shock)
  • 2nd Half of Doc Needle Man is a nightmare if you mess up
  • Doc Quick Man (YOU'RE TOO SLOW)
  • Can't pause with weapon projectile on screen
  • Gamma being only damageable by 2 weapons per phase

VERSUS

Mega Man X

• So slow without the Leg Upgrade
  • Homing Torpedo... exists
  • Head Upgrade is too situational
  • Too much REQUIRED backtracking for 100%
  • Ride Armor not that great (good, not great)

Mega Man X2

• Waiting for the moving platform in Counter Hunter 2 is boring

Mega Man X3

• Most of the weapons... exist
  • 3 out of 4 Ride Armors suck, remaining 1 is worse then previous game
  • Pointless Armor Chip Upgrades (the individual ones)
  • Sigma 2nd Phase
  • Zero's inclusion as a playable character is pretty pointless

I should note, if it were the entire classic series vs the entire X series, Classic would win (I don't care for the PS1 X games outside of music)

Edited by AverageOliver98
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, AverageOliver98 said:

If going by just the first 3 titles, The X series.

There's nothing wrong with Mega Man 1, 2, and 3. In fact, I would put Mega Man 3 above Mega Man X and X3 in terms of fun. However, the same cannot be said about MM 1&2. They are both fine games, but compared to the rest of the classic MMs, they don't hold up(for me at least).

... I think I'll go overboard and bullet point my problems with all the games(Classic and X).

Mega Man

• Certain level sections feel overly long and/or empty (Ice and Bomb Man)
  • Spikes that are instant kill even with I-Frames (fixed in later entries)
  • Hyper Bomb and Super Arm
  • Magnet Beam is required but is easily miss-able (end of Wily 1)
  • The propeller platforms in Ice Man and Wily 1 (extremely glitchy)
  • Obnoxious enemy placements (Wily 2 Bladers and Elec Man Big Eye)

Mega Man 2

• Heat Man's Yoku Blocks (put over pit, overly long, and poorly programmed(better working version seen in Mega Man 9's Endless Attack)
  • Can't pause with weapon projectile on screen (Time Stopper must be used all at once)
  • Awful Weapon Ammo Values (Crash Bomb and Atomic Fire)
  • Certain enemies too bullet spongy (Sniper Joe + Mech and Changkey Makers)
  • Wily Stage Boss Death flashing (it seems worse then the other games here)
  • Boobeam Trap
  • The Alien being weak to only 1 weapon AND any other weapon used against it (including normal buster) HEALS IT

Mega Man 3

• Spark Shock (only damages bosses and its damage output is either equal or lesser to another weapon)
  • Top Spin (just wonky, still better then Spark Shock)
  • 2nd Half of Doc Needle Man is a nightmare if you mess up
  • Can't pause with weapon projectile on screen
  • Gamma being only damageable by 2 weapons per phase

VERSUS

Mega Man X

• So slow without the Leg Upgrade
  • Homing Torpedo... exists
  • Head Upgrade is too situational
  • Too much REQUIRED backtracking for 100%
  • Ride Armor not that great (good, not great)

Mega Man X2

• Waiting for the moving platform in Counter Hunter 2 is boring

Mega Man X3

• Most of the weapons... exist
  • 3 out of 4 Ride Armors suck, remaining 1 is worse then previous game
  • Pointless Armor Chip Upgrades (the individual ones)
  • Sigma 2nd Phase
  • Zero's inclusion as a playable character is pretty pointless

I should note, if it were the entire classic series vs the entire X series, Classic would win (I don't care for the PS1 X games outside of music)

Hmm.. sounds like you don’t like Megaman 🤔

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, phart010 said:

Maybe I’m an old geezer but I prefer when they keeps story telling optional in these action games.

Maverick Hunter X wasn’t too bad because they had beautiful animations. But X5 and X6 were absolutely unplayable in my opinion. These were perfect examples of games that were ruined by forced narration and would have otherwise been decent games.

Definitely on the same page here.

I honestly do really enjoy the story in the first Mega Man X. It's very basic and derivative, but it meshes really well with the game. It's exactly what the game needs, no more and no less. It's not a good story by any means, but it doesn't need to be either. We just need to know enough about why we are fighting to become invested in the fight.

What they did in Mega Man X5 and X6 was just really bad. They took the story to the forefront, and added a bunch of pointless twists a narrative of this caliber can't possibly carry without coming across really dumb. It gives you no reason to care about any of it, but also doesn't really give you the option to ignore it.

3 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

the x series has the fancy graphics and less difficult.

Do you find the first Mega Man X easier than all of the NES games? o_O

2 hours ago, AverageOliver98 said:

Try sliding 😄 

Edited by Sumez

10 hours ago, phart010 said:

Hmm.. sounds like you don’t like Megaman 🤔

I'm not 100% sure on how you got that conclusion. 

8 hours ago, Sumez said:

Try sliding 😄 

It seems the joke I was going for wasn't as funny as I thought (and yes I know how to slide). Honestly, I should use Search Snake instead of Gemini Laser. 

I guess I'm the weirdo that really likes Mega Man 1, and didn't like Mega Man 2 quite as much. There were too many frustrating parts like the disappearing blocks in Heat Man stage, the falling sections in Quick Man stage, falling through spiked corridors in one of the Wily stages, and that Wily Stage boss that's just gun turrets and you need to do it perfect or else run out of ammo with whatever weapon you need (Crash Man's I think, I can't remember). Those parts require memorization rather than actual video game skills, and just pissed me off, to be honest.

I've actually never played Mega Man 3.

I've never played Mega Man X3 either, but Mega Man X 1&2 are two of my favorite video games of all time, so I definitely voted the X series.

• Like 1

MM4 > MM3 > MMX > MM2 > MMX4 > MMX2 > MM6 > MM5 > MM1

But every game in this list is fucking great, so don't take it too heavily. MM1 is still a billion times better than X5 or X6, and I didn't even bother with X7 or X8.
I didn't put X3 in there, because judging by people's comments in this thread I probably have to replay it. It's probably been longer for me than any other game in the series, and maybe I remember it being better than it is?