IGNORED

Beat Super Mario 2 challenge

G-type

I'm currently having a competition with @North to see who can beat Super Mario 2 first. I've never beaten it before and am hoping to scratch it off my list this year. Level 4-2 has forever been the bane of my existence! I have never gotten past this level!!! I don't know why either. The whale section doesn't seem THAT hard. I just burn through my lives here every time.

spacer.png 

Edited by G-type
  • Like 2

I'm Toad all the way.  

As a kid I loved that whale level just because it was so strange to see such a thing in a Mario game.  

SMB2 is still my favorite game to this day.  

As a tip, use Toad in the early levels to grab as many coins as you can to get as many lives in the bonus stages as possible.  If you do well, you should have enough lives to get you through the rest of the game without having to worry about any more bonus stages and using whatever character you are most comfortable with.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TDIRunner said:

I'm Toad all the way.  

As a kid I loved that whale level just because it was so strange to see such a thing in a Mario game.  

SMB2 is still my favorite game to this day.  

As a tip, use Toad in the early levels to grab as many coins as you can to get as many lives in the bonus stages as possible.  If you do well, you should have enough lives to get you through the rest of the game without having to worry about any more bonus stages and using whatever character you are most comfortable with.  

I have the worst luck on the the bonus chance slot machine... 

15 minutes ago, G-type said:

I have the worst luck on the the bonus chance slot machine... 

If you are playing on an original NES, just mash the button as fast as you can and you will most likely get at least a hand full of single cherries which are worth an extra life each.  In the first two levels, if you are using Toad, you should be able to get a few dozen coins in each of the early levels so that should give you lots of chances in the bonus round.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, cj_robot said:

I love how in this Mario game, nobody ever uses Mario.

Mario is my go to for most levels, Toad if there are a bunch of coins to pull, and Princess in level 5-1 and occasionally in world 4 for fun.  Luigi sucks, he's weak and too floaty when he jumps. 

I beat the game again a few days ago, for the first time in a few years. Did some fun things to spice it up. First, I used a random number generator to pick my character for each level. It really doesn't make too much of a difference overall, though (maybe 5-2 and 6-2 are exceptions). I also used some maps to get every mushroom in the game - there were a few that I didn't even know about. Interestingly enough, there's two stages with only one instead of two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Count said:

I suppose if Mario is the worst character to use, than I shall endeavor to beat the game using only him.

He's not the worst, he just doesn't have any standout qualities.

Toad can't jump as high, but is fast and digs coins like a MOFO.

Luigi has the highest jump, but it takes practice to control. I think he's also slightly weaker than Mario.

Peach has the most forgiving floating jump, but is the weakest in terms of lifting.

Mario sits in the middle of them all. It actually set the standard for Mario being the middle of the road character in other games (like Mario Kart.)

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

He's not the worst, he just doesn't have any standout qualities.

Toad can't jump as high, but is fast and digs coins like a MOFO.

Luigi has the highest jump, but it takes practice to control. I think he's also slightly weaker than Mario.

Peach has the most forgiving floating jump, but is the weakest in terms of lifting.

Mario sits in the middle of them all. It actually set the standard for Mario being the middle of the road character in other games (like Mario Kart.)

Which character is the worst then? No way is it Luigi.

Edited by The Count

8 minutes ago, The Count said:

Which character is the worst then? No way is it Luigi.

I think it depends on your perspective. Once you get past her advantage in floating, Peach doesn't have much going for her.

Luigi and Toad take more getting used to, but as stated, speedrunners use them.