IGNORED

Bill Cosby released from prison

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Gotta love this board sometimes. People giving a serial rapist the benefit of the doubt. Jesus christ. 

Man if 60 women isn't enough to sway someones opinion than what happens when it's just one woman. 

The thing is conservatives are primed for this stuff. I remember at one point Fox news viewers were more aware of who AOC was than democrats because Fox has made an industry out of attacking women. Little things like this are the side line repercussions. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Californication said:

Man if 60 women isn't enough to sway someones opinion than what happens when it's just one woman. 

The thing is conservatives are primed for this stuff. I remember at one point Fox news viewers were more aware of who AOC was than democrats because Fox has made an industry out of attacking women. Little things like this are the side line repercussions. 

This isn’t an issue about trusting women. It’s an issue of trusting a personal account versus a substantiated account. 

All the thousands of people that have claimed to have been abducted by aliens have personal accounts of being abducted. And there’s a large quantity of people that have described the same thing… did it really happen?

Where is the evidence to substantiate that it happened? Do they have other witnesses that can corroborate their personal account. Usually the answer is no, all they have is their personal account of what happened. And it doesn’t matter how many people have a personal account of being abducted by aliens, we usually still say sorry that’s not enough.

Now if it was just one woman and she was saying “no” to unwanted advances and there was someone else there saying “hey back off, she said no” and then later on we found out that something happened, that second person’s testimony would add a lot of strength to what the woman was claiming.

Edited by phart010
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, phart010 said:

This isn’t an issue about trusting women. It’s an issue of trusting a personal account versus a substantiated account. 

All the thousands of people that have claimed to have been abducted by aliens have personal accounts of being abducted. And there’s a large quantity of people that have described the same thing… did it really happen?

Where is the evidence to substantiate that it happened? Do they have other witnesses that can corroborate their personal account. Usually the answer is no, all they have is their personal account of what happened. And it doesn’t matter how many people have a personal account of being abducted by aliens, we usually still say sorry that’s not enough.

Except rapists exist. It's proven. There's no proof of aliens. So this comparison is trash. Try a different one. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Except rapists exist. It's proven. There's no proof of aliens. So this comparison is trash. Try a different one. 

The point wasn’t about the existence of rapists. That’s a given. 

We are talking about the credibility of a personal account versus one corroborated by a second/multiple persons

Edited by phart010

12 minutes ago, phart010 said:

The point wasn’t about the existence of rapists. That’s a given. 

We are talking about the credibility of a personal account versus one corroborated by a second person 

You keep saying a personal account. There are sixty individual experiences that spanned decades. Multiple independent accusations matched with one another. And Cosby's statements have shown important parts of the accusations to be truthful. The only reason Cosby isn't facing more rape charges is because there is a statute of limitations.

This is an issue about trusting women. It is easier for you to suspend disbelief and assume that sixty women would independantly lie rather come to the conclusion that they are telling the truth. And you clearly have no feeling for what it took these people to come forward, relive the experience, and have their accounts be gone through.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Californication said:

Why is that the key point? There are like 60 women that say he raped them. You think all of them are lying?

Don't put words in my mouth 🙂  I'm wondering because it makes a difference (to me) if his detailed account(s) involved 0% consent or not.  It's way more damning (to me) if his confession stated that the women were completely blindsided than if his confession implied that the women were initially consentual to whatever he was giving them and stuck around of their own volition...

EDIT - And for the record, I obviously believe he is 100% guilty; my question is whether or not he made an actual capital-C Confession or one of those, "yeah, I guess I got carried away and accidentally took advantage of the situation since she stuck around anyway," sort of confessions.

Edited by Dr. Morbis

The supreme court made the right decision, but good God, I'm continually amazed at the incompetence of prosecutors. This seems like something they should have known would happen. How do they not understand the basic principle at play here? And why didn't the judge catch this during the trial? They based an entire case on protected speech from a civil case and no one batted an eye. Ugh.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 2

I don't have the time or disposition to go through it at the moment, but below is a link to the 2005 deposition that Bill Cosby gave testimony in, if folks want to dig through it.

The fact that some folks in this discussion (you know who you are) are implying that 60 women who have publicly declared their accusations against Cosby (in addition to who knows how many who haven't come forward--multiple celebrities commenting on this have said they know several who haven't come forward who tell the same story of coercion, drugging, then rape) are all lying, and basically because they weren't into having a third party watch and/or electronically document the festivities tells me all I need to know about further discussion on this issue.  I'm out for my own state of mind and blood pressure unless something truly new/damning/etc. happens to crop up in the thread.

https://documents.latimes.com/bill-cosby-deposition/

Edited by darkchylde28
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

The supreme court made the right decision, but good God, I'm continually amazed at the incompetence of prosecutors. This seems like something they should have known would happen. How do they not understand the basic principle at play here? And why didn't the judge catch this during the trial? They based an entire case on protected speech from a civil case and no one batted an eye. Ugh.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/politics/20151104_Steele_tops_Castor_in_contentious_Montco_DA_race.html

It seems the DA had based a substantial part of their election campaign on promising to prosecute Cosby, so they probably weren't inclined to let a little thing like Constitutional rights get in their way.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

22 hours ago, phart010 said:

Now if it was just one woman and she was saying “no” to unwanted advances and there was someone else there saying “hey back off, she said no” and then later on we found out that something happened, that second person’s testimony would add a lot of strength to what the woman was claiming.

Luckily for women, the rapist code mandates that a rapist operate under the scrutiny of at least one witness.

• Like 2