IGNORED

Air Raid on ShopGoodwill

Social Team · Posted
39 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

I could be speaking out of turn here, but the plastic looks very 'clean' to me.  I would imagine it would have some scuffs, or something else on it.

That label is obviously legit though.  You can't fake that kind of aging.  The plastic is not very well fit so looks legit to me.

3 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

That label is obviously legit though.  You can't fake that kind of aging.  The plastic is not very well fit so looks legit to me.

Perhaps I should have looked harder.  At first glance the plastic just looked too clean and when I zoomed in thats all I concentrated on.

6 hours ago, BortLicensePlate said:

From what I understand there's like 1 or 2 known boxes to exist. So probably not, no. They would probably be at atari age

The same guy bought both copies. He paid $30,000 for the first, then another was found that had instructions. He paid $33,000 for that one.

The fake one from 6 years ago... you can clearly see the PVC T-fitting is superglued on and overhangs the cartridge and has an uncharacteristic sheen.spacer.png

This current one appears to be a single piece of molded plastic. But that doesn't mean that counterfeiters didn't simply get more sophisticated.. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G-type said:

The fake one from 6 years ago... you can clearly see the PVC T-fitting is superglued on and overhangs the cartridge and has an uncharacteristic sheen.spacer.png

This current one appears to be a single piece of molded plastic. But that doesn't mean that counterfeiters didn't simply get more sophisticated.. 

That is hilarious.  I must not have been around when that happened.  

I can just imagine some counterfeiter in the plumbing isle at Home Depot and an employee walks up and asks what he is working on today.  "Oh, I just need some PVC fittings to make fake Atari games."

I think it's authentic based off of the glue mottling (well, that's what WATA calls it, and I've never heard it called anything else) and there is plastic discoloration near the screw hole.  I don't think either of those can be faked, so if this is not authentic, it's an old fake.

3 hours ago, RH said:

Can we merge the two posts?

Oops, should have looked before I posted.

3 hours ago, G-type said:

The fake one from 6 years ago... you can clearly see the PVC T-fitting is superglued on and overhangs the cartridge and has an uncharacteristic sheen.

Is this the one where the couple selling it got super defensive and ranted about AtariAge in the description on ebay? If you guys haven’t read the AtariAge thread on that, it is quality content.

3 hours ago, Strange said:

Oops, should have looked before I posted.

Is this the one where the couple selling it got super defensive and ranted about AtariAge in the description on ebay? If you guys haven’t read the AtariAge thread on that, it is quality content.

Do you have the link by any chance?

On 6/12/2021 at 12:34 AM, Strange said:

Sure, here it is. The juicy part starts on the latter portion of page 2, but page 1 and the beginning of page 2 set up the backstory.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/245299-boxed-air-raid-sells-for-500/#comments

Thanks.  That is well worth the read.  I've never seen someone so committed to a scam.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 12:34 AM, Strange said:

Sure, here it is. The juicy part starts on the latter portion of page 2, but page 1 and the beginning of page 2 set up the backstory.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/245299-boxed-air-raid-sells-for-500/#comments

what a ride!

i thought the story was going to end when the seller got banned from the forum, but it didn't stop there! ridiculous!

• Like 1