IGNORED

Your city's/hometown's promo video

FireHazard51

14 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

Damn, my video left out Kings Island too.  But  you bring up a good point.  I feel like you visit Cleveland for Cedar Point, Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, and Burning River Brewery.

Don't forget Jungle Jim's! Based on posts I've seen on the r/hotsauce subreddit, people really do come from out of state to go there. 

• Like 1

Here's mine:

I'm honestly shocked though, I have no idea where the huge crowds of people went, and similarly, where are the bright colours and clear skies coming from? And the stars? I recognise most if not all the places in this video, yet the colours are more vivid, and it looks genuinely beautiful and appealing.

As my mother once said: "Taiwan really does look beautiful, but only when the sun goes down, to mask the city filth and heavily pollution."

• Love 1

Social Team · Posted
6 hours ago, Sumez said:

Lol no, why the heck would they ever do that 😆
I live in a town called Ølstykke if you want to know, good luck on your research 😛 

image.png.a232ac03b6de1b99a5479df1d20f53fa.png

You live in a suburb of Copenhagen....don't try and act like there isn't a tourist video for Copenhagen.  I would totally expect a video from on you on Copenhagen but you know what......I did find a video on your little burb, a shitty one, but I found one.

I think you should dub over the video and explain what the hell is being shown in the video above.  But for a real video there is this official one below.

This one is specially for you @Sumer

To me all I hear is..... 

Spoiler

tenor.gif

Edited by FireHazard51

5 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

I think you should dub over the video and explain what the hell is being shown in the video above.  But for a real video there is this official one below.

Oh he doesn't need to bother. I didn't even watch the video, but Denmark? Easy peasy.

On the left you'll see some Vikings. Coming up next is the Little Mermaid, followed by the butter cookie factory 😄

edit: I loved Denmark when I visited in 2007, though my wallet hated it.

Edited by fcgamer

21 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

You live in a suburb of Copenhagen

I don't, though, not even close. 😆 The Copenhagen suburbs start 30km from here, and there are several other notable cities between here and that. That would be like if I told you that you lived in *looks at map* Indianapolis. 😛 

I used to live in Copenhagen 6+ years ago though, so I'll give it a pass. I'm way more familiar with Copenhagen than this town.

Edited by Sumez

21 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

Haha, that's funny. Nice find on the video, I have no idea how you managed.

I tried watching it, and I was like, I have no idea what these places are. Which is fair, because I know absolutely nothing about this place, and I definitely don't know sports stadiums. But then I noticed most of the pictures it was showing are from completely different places, hahaha! 😄
I think it's algorithmically generated, and not very well. 😛 

There's one picture of a modern church that's like right on the corner from the street I live on, though.

Edited by Sumez

Social Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Sumez said:

I don't, though, not even close. 😆 The Copenhagen suburbs start 30km from here, and there are several other notable cities between here and that. That would be like if I told you that you lived in *looks at map* Indianapolis. 😛 

I used to live in Copenhagen 6+ years ago though, so I'll give it a pass. I'm way more familiar with Copenhagen than this town.

image.png.80aa8a1636eaf07c3590a31901ba3555.png

Indianapolis is a 1 hour and 40 mins drive (180 km!).  No, a comparison would be Lebanon, OH to Cincinnati, OH which is 36 mins (50 km!!!), when there is no traffic.  Otherwise that's going to be an hour drive during rush hour for sure.  In case you forgot you live roughly 40 km from Copenhagen.   And yes, I could consider Lebanon a suburb to Cincinnati.  Because if you talk to someone from Lebanon and ask there where they are from.  95% of the time they'll just say Cincinnati.  It's a pet peeve of mine because they don't even mention SUBURB so when I ask them what part of Cincinnati they'll say Lebanon....which is ~30 miles/50 km away from Cincinnati.  BUT for this thread purpose I'd totally expect suburb people to share a video on the city that they can do fun stuff at.  Or another example would be Springfield, OH and Dayton, OH.  I think you Europeans don't have a sense for scale when it comes to America.  And by that I mean I live in Cincinnati yet my work is just outside of Lebanon.  I'm an odd one where I live in the City yet work in the suburbs.  I don't think Europeans have work commutes like that and I'm not even close a number of people I know.  I have a co-worker to who lives in Kentucky and drives into work.  

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

There's one picture of a modern church that's like right on the corner from the street I live on, though.

target-locked-foolish.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Social Team · Posted
3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Here's mine:

I'm honestly shocked though, I have no idea where the huge crowds of people went, and similarly, where are the bright colours and clear skies coming from? And the stars? I recognise most if not all the places in this video, yet the colours are more vivid, and it looks genuinely beautiful and appealing.

As my mother once said: "Taiwan really does look beautiful, but only when the sun goes down, to mask the city filth and heavily pollution."

Dude, that is a great video.  A lot was shown but I think that is the point, there is a lot to do or see in Taichung.  Also do you not know about the "remove pollution and pop the colors" filter on cameras 😏  I'm sure they picked very good days to do their filming.  But yeah, that video looks amazing.  @OptOutThe bar has been set.  If fcgamer is at the heart of Taiwan where does that mean you live?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FireHazard51 said:

Dude, that is a great video.  A lot was shown but I think that is the point, there is a lot to do or see in Taichung.  Also do you not know about the "remove pollution and pop the colors" filter on cameras 😏  I'm sure they picked very good days to do their filming.  But yeah, that video looks amazing.  @OptOutThe bar has been set.  If fcgamer is at the heart of Taiwan where does that mean you live?

The cock.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

I think you Europeans don't have a sense for scale when it comes to America.  And by that I mean I live in Cincinnati yet my work is just outside of Lebanon. 

Oh, you work around Lebanon? My Dad and his family are from Lebanon, well Lebanon, Pennsylvania 😄

Regarding the size thing, I get that a lot in Taiwan. For years I commuted about 45 minutes away to do a side gig, it was easy money and it was a nice area, so it gave me an excuse to head down that way once a week. 

My friends and even my students couldn't really under it though, they couldn't be assed to commute for twenty minutes just to one town over from where they lived! The idea that when going home to the States, I'd disembark at Dulles and then have my folks puck me up and drive back another two hours was something incomprehensible! But that's how it is when living somewhere where you can cross the island in five hours.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

In case you forgot you live roughly 40 km from Copenhagen.

That's really far, though. You can't compare the distances to distances where you live. No one wants to travel 40km for anything here. Like you're alluding to, Denmark is a much smaller country, and locations are much more dense. By American standards, all of Denmark is a suburb to eachother. 😛

It's not really a question whether we "consider" it a suburb anyway, when it technically isn't. Copenhagen county ends 30km from here, and I live in one called Egedal, which is like a congregation of multiple mid-sized towns.
Maybe someone made a video for Egedal, but I'm not able to see one on their website or the official YouTube channel which is apparently something that exists.

This is the best I could find, and honestly it's not too bad, so maybe it fits your conditions 😄

More The_Swedish_Chef.jpg for you

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sumez said:

That's really far, though. You can't compare the distances to distances where you live. No one wants to travel 40km for anything here. Like you're alluding to, Denmark is a much smaller country, and locations are much more dense. By American standards, all of Denmark is a suburb to eachother. 😛

It's not really a question whether we "consider" it a suburb anyway, when it technically isn't. Copenhagen county ends 30km from here, and I live in one called Egedal, which is like a congregation of multiple mid-sized towns.
Maybe someone made a video for Egedal, but I'm not able to see one on their website or the official YouTube channel which is apparently something that exists.

This is the best I could find, and honestly it's not too bad, so maybe it fits your conditions 😄

More The_Swedish_Chef.jpg for you

We should use dialects and languages to define regions, that is the true way of marking it.

• Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

Oh I was joking a bit in my earlier comments, I'm sure they just used filters and what not too. Actually I consider Taichung to be the best region of Taiwan for living; in the north the weather gets rainy in the winter, and the south suffers from typhoons and hellish heat. The east is beautiful but also suffers from typhoons. So in Taichung and Changhua (where @OptOut lives), you get much nicer temperatures, and weather. Taichung is much more cosmopolitan than Changhua though, in some ways I like it and in other ways I don't. I'm ultimately hoping to move back down towards coastal Taichung in the next few years, that's where'd I'd ultimately like to settle down.

• Like 1

This is a huge landmark where @OptOut lives, in Changhua:

This is in Changhua City. Changhua county is mostly rice fields, though there's also a few regions like Dacun, which are known for grapes and wineries. 

I like cycling down there, as well as in the rural areas of Taichung.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

image.png.80aa8a1636eaf07c3590a31901ba3555.png

Indianapolis is a 1 hour and 40 mins drive (180 km!).  No, a comparison would be Lebanon, OH to Cincinnati, OH which is 36 mins (50 km!!!), when there is no traffic.  Otherwise that's going to be an hour drive during rush hour for sure.  In case you forgot you live roughly 40 km from Copenhagen.   And yes, I could consider Lebanon a suburb to Cincinnati.  Because if you talk to someone from Lebanon and ask there where they are from.  95% of the time they'll just say Cincinnati.  It's a pet peeve of mine because they don't even mention SUBURB so when I ask them what part of Cincinnati they'll say Lebanon....which is ~30 miles/50 km away from Cincinnati.  BUT for this thread purpose I'd totally expect suburb people to share a video on the city that they can do fun stuff at.  Or another example would be Springfield, OH and Dayton, OH.  I think you Europeans don't have a sense for scale when it comes to America.  And by that I mean I live in Cincinnati yet my work is just outside of Lebanon.  I'm an odd one where I live in the City yet work in the suburbs.  I don't think Europeans have work commutes like that and I'm not even close a number of people I know.  I have a co-worker to who lives in Kentucky and drives into work.  

target-locked-foolish.jpg

So you must appreciate that my avatar says "Cincy Metro Area."  😄  I live in Union, KY, by the way!

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Sumer said:

So you must appreciate that my avatar says "Cincy Metro Area."  😄  I live in Union, KY, by the way!

Those from Kentucky always describe it right.  Because I'm sure if you say "I'm from Cincinnati" and they know you live in Kentucky that you'd get some looks.  Hard to claim a city as yours if you don't even technically live the same state.  "Cincinnati area", "Cincinnati Metro Area", "Greater Cincinnati" are all acceptable and mean the same thing as far as I'm concern.  If one wanted to be technical I think "Greater Cincinnati" is the most accepted answer but "Cincinnati Metropolitan Area" is probably the most legally correct since if you look at the US Census Data you'll be captured by that classification as they ignore state boundaries.

US Census boundary map for "Cincinnati Metropolitan Area"  Data on Cincinnati Metropolitan Area  @Sumez our federal government assumes the Cincinnati metro area covers 11,775 sq. km,  Demark is 42,943 sq. km.  And what is nuts is how this data includes some REAL rural farm areas. I don't how they make that boundary but it's laughable honestly.  I prefer to use the "Cincinnati Urbanized Area" as a better boundary but even that has noticeable issues too.  Here is a more interactive map.

@Sumer Part of Union, KY is not within the Cincinnati Urbanized Area, I may have to revoke your current location and demote you to "Kentucky Backwaters" 😛

Edited by FireHazard51

1 hour ago, FireHazard51 said:

@Sumer Part of Union, KY is not within the Cincinnati Urbanized Area, I may have to revoke your current location and demote you to "Kentucky Backwaters" 😛

That's fine...I'm from Iowa originally.  😄

What is really strange around here is that most Kentuckians are afraid to cross the river except for work...it really is...strange.  As an outsider who has lived in Greater Cincinnati for the past 10 years (and visited every summer since the late 80s, since my dad lived here), it just strikes me a bit odd.  Kentuckians act like they are going into Canada or Mexico when they cross into Ohio.

Edited by Sumer
  • Like 1

https://www.carringtonnd.com/vertical/sites/{F8F4850C-B10E-4A30-B392-3DC7191F9A69}/uploads/3_min.mp

Welcome to small town Carrington, ND, where our big attractions include our 5 bars, probably racist restaurant, American flag water tower and a "huge" roundabout. Make sure you stop and stay just long enough for all the locals to stare and talk about you to each other while giving you the North Dakota Nice™ experience. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, BattySalem said:

https://www.carringtonnd.com/vertical/sites/{F8F4850C-B10E-4A30-B392-3DC7191F9A69}/uploads/3_min.mp

Welcome to small town Carrington, ND, where our big attractions include our 5 bars, probably racist restaurant, American flag water tower and a "huge" roundabout. Make sure you stop and stay just long enough for all the locals to stare and talk about you to each other while giving you the North Dakota Nice™ experience. 

Thats actually racist for sure. 100% know its not trying to be, just accepting that “its the way things used to be”

As far as the video, small town tourism video level 3400

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Strange said:

I always say I’m from Nashville, but really I’m from the city Taylor Swift is from. I remember this video going around my senior year of high school.

https://youtu.be/sdYct2R89eM

Do people rep that super hard in Henderson? Or is it more of a joke? Genuinely curious, as  The only actual famous person from my actual home town is Suzanne sommers, and I would wager 95% of people living there have no idea

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
5 hours ago, Sumer said:

That's fine...I'm from Iowa originally.  😄

What is really strange around here is that most Kentuckians are afraid to cross the river except for work...it really is...strange.  As an outsider who has lived in Greater Cincinnati for the past 10 years (and visited every summer since the late 80s, since my dad lived here), it just strikes me a bit odd.  Kentuckians act like they are going into Canada or Mexico when they cross into Ohio.

I hardly ever went into Kentucky until college when during the Summer back home I'd often go to Newport on the Levee.  Now that the Banks are a real thing....FINALLY.....I just go there instead.  I think most Ohio people have no aversion to visit Kentucky.  How else where we going to get our cheap booze and cigs.  Party Source is an amazing ambassador for Kentucky 😉.  Now ask me to live in Kentucky and you can go straight to hell as that shit will NEVER happen.  I still have bad memories when I lived in Kentucky for 18 weeks while doing basic training in Fort Knox.  

2 hours ago, BattySalem said:

I was wondering if I could catch what restaurant was "racist" and HOLY HELL!  Yup, I'm not surprised that you guys haven't figured it was a time to acknowledge that is not acceptable and will eventually get ride of it.   But overall love the effort that went into the video.  This is what I was hoping to see from people.  Also your roundabout isn't THAT big.  160 foot is a standard state/us route roundabout outer diameter roundabout size.  You guys have a 200 foot one.  So yeah, a bit bigger but that just means it's easier to merge.  Not like you'll have that issue in such a "small town".  Man I bet everyone though the roundabout would be the death of everyone.  I deal with public involvement for some of Ohio's roundabout projects as part of my job so I can only imagine how that went down in  your town.

20 minutes ago, Strange said:

I always say I’m from Nashville, but really I’m from the city Taylor Swift is from. I remember this video going around my senior year of high school.

https://youtu.be/sdYct2R89eM

I know the video was made for humor but I'm sure the there was a lot of truth to that video.  And yeah, that is so close to Nashville I'd expect a tourist video for Nashville.  Got anything good from there actually?  Or do you just avoid the city all together so you wouldn't really know.