3. 3. Choose one

• Boyz II Men - "Motownphilly"
    • 2pac - "California Love"
  4. 4. Choose one

• Imagine Dragons - "Radioactive"
    • Daft Punk - "One More Time"

This poll is closed to new votes

Editorials Team · Posted

This will be 64 of the artists from the weekly debate series.  It will not feature any artists whose works are a prominent part of the 1960s or 1970s as they will have their own separate bracket.

I have omitted songs such as Billie Jean, so that they don't pull a "Take on Me" on the competition.

Editorials Team · Posted

I knew a guy in college who was an aspiring rapper, and his style was very similar to Eminem. Nobody thought he was any good, and after laughing at his tracks with my friends for so long, I realized that Eminem is actually just as bad. (Not all his stuff, but if you told me that that other guy was the actual author of Real Slim Shady, I would believe it)

This was a weird one for me.

1) November Rain is "okay" but not something I ever feel the urge to listen to unprompted. Smooth Criminal may not be one of Michael's best but it is catchy and has a fun music video to go with it, so it got my vote. Plus...Moonwalker. Just sayin'.

2) There are two Green Day songs that I like and pretty much everything else I've heard of theirs is garbage. Boulevard is not one of the good ones. That said, I've been searching for the real Slim Shady for a long time and found only posers thus far...so I guess Boulevard wins by the competition being disqualified? Now I feel sick to my stomach.🤢

3) I love my BoyzIIMen more than I probably should...but Motownphilly is not what I would call one of their "worthier" tracks. In fact, I find it kind of painful to listen to. California Love is merely "decent"...but at least it isn't Motownphilly, so it gets another "lesser of two evils" vote.

4) I don't really like either Radioactive or One More Time but the latter's music video has animated, dancing Martians, so we'll give that one a half-hearted vote.

You can feel my enthusiasm, can't you? 😉

Edited by Webhead123

Editorials Team · Posted
17 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

should...but Motownphilly is not what I would call one of their "worthier" tracks

I figure this crowd would be more into "New Jack Swing" and less into "R&B ballads"

I say that because "I Swear" and "Sex You Up" both got absolutely crushed last bracket 😅

18 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

I love my BoyzIIMen more than I probably should...but Motownphilly is not what I would call one of their "worthier" tracks. In fact, I find it kind of painful to listen to.

The big issue for me is that song isn't what I think of when I think of Boyz II Men. It seems like it's from an earlier era, like something Bobby Brown would sing. Boys II Men were always a ballad group to me.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I figure this crowd would be more into "New Jack Swing" and less into "R&B ballads"

I say that because "I Swear" and "Sex You Up" both got absolutely crushed last bracket 😅

Guilty, I guess. Ballad or not, any song whose lyrics are basically "hnnggggg I wanna do sex so bad" just comes off as cringey horny-teenager garbage to me, and nostalgia is the only thing holding up Sex You Up or Butterfly etc.

Like, imagine a song about needing to pee really bad, how all I wanna do is find a toilet and just fill that thing with so much piss. Nobody would want to hear that garbage any more than we want to hear how horny some dude is. Gross.

I Swear, now that one should have done a little better against All Star, lol.

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

The big issue for me is that song isn't what I think of when I think of Boyz II Men. It seems like it's from an earlier era, like something Bobby Brown would sing. Boys II Men were always a ballad group to me.

Exactly right. Nothing wrong with Bobby Brown (I mean...with his music, anyway) but I don't think that's where Boyz II Men lives. Their ballads are pretty damn great. Everything else..."No thanks. I'm good."

Edited by Webhead123