IGNORED

Werewolf 6 signup thread! TURTLE POWER! **18 reached, anymore will be backups**

Jeevan

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, Makar said:

Oh I must’ve skimmed over that. I’m good with that start date (or even earlier lol. I’m ready now). 

Let me get the survivor prizes and stuff shipped out!  Gives me a little bit of time to get all of that all hashed out and done and over with!

• The title was changed to Werewolf 6 signup thread! TURTLE POWER! **18 reached, anymore will be backups**

@Hammerfestus I would highly recommend brushing up and checking out the Mafia Scum wiki as it's easily one of the best resources out there for the game of Mafia/Werewolf (both the same thing as well as other names as @Makarpointed out)

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Main_Page

"How to Play" Mafia/WW https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Quick_Guide_to_Mafia

Brief history of Mafia/WW https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Game_of_Mafia

Abbrevations/Terminology you'll want to familiarize yourself with https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Commonly_Used_Abbreviations

As @Jeevansaid the commitment is as much as you want make it. I'll save the various game theory in posting activity and just say the minimum you'll at least want to try and maintain at least check in once a day to the game thread. You'll get a better idea by just diving in head first, but don't be afraid to ask questions or just go for it if you get a gut instinct about someone being scum! 😛

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ZeldaFan042 said:

@Jeevan is it alright if both me and @BattySalem join this game? Or would you prefer if only one of us join since we live together? It is alright with us either way. If you'd prefer for only one of us to join, @BattySalem will take the slot.

Same rules as everyone else.  Do not discuss the game (online or offline) outside of the game thread.

Jeevan will not pay for your couples therapy due to any trust issues that may result.  XD

3 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

Is it a lot of time commitment?

The game should last a couple weeks (you will likely be eliminated before the end though.)  You should be following the thread and posting daily if possible.  If you aren't active, you are likely going to be letting your team down.

@Hammerfestus@BattySalem

Here is a quick and dirty primer.  We are playing with a bigger group so the numbers will be different and there might be more expanded roles.  If you have any questions, please ask and others can help you.

@Jeevan
I'm ready whenever.  Are there any other new players?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
3 hours ago, Jeevan said:

but it is a LOT less time consuming than survivor for sure.

^^^ This is the important part. It's significantly less time consuming than Survivor, and unlike Survivor which involves actively playing games and whatnot, with Werewolf basically all you're doing is reading and trying to analyze things, which is inherently a bit less exhausting and a bit less stressful than Survivor (although it can certainly still be stressful, haha)

3 hours ago, Jeevan said:

werewolf is like a who done it type game kinda......basically a group of folks are the wolves and it is up to town to decide who to eliminate that night through a vote, or not, and then night time happens where possible night actions occur if anyone has it, i.e. wolves kill someone, a bodyguard or doctor protects someone, a person tracks or investigates someone.  But if the town eliminates all the wolves, then they win, or if the wolves eliminate enough that they can't be voted out, then they win.  Since you are in the club now, you can look over the old games and see what you think.  Feel free to ask questions if need be.  Most of the folks here are vets and can be very helpful in answering questions.

I'll add on to this with my own explanation to hopefully give any new players like @Hammerfestus a decent grasp on what it's all about. Essentially, Werewolf, like Jeevan said, is a who done it game. Wikipedia calls it a "social deduction game." In Werewolf, there are two main parties: First, there are the Townies/Villagers, who make up the majority of the player base. These are the good guys, and their goal is to deduce who all of the Wolves are, and eliminate them all, at which point they win the game. If the townies win, then all townies win, even the ones who were eliminated. Then there are the Wolves, who make up a much smaller portion of the player base. Probably around 3 in a game like this with 18 players, maybe 4 at most. These are the baddies, and their goal is to secretly eliminate townies up to the point that there are an equal number of townies and wolves left in the game, at which point, they win. So, if there's 2 wolves left, they need to eliminate townies until there are only 2 townies left, at which point they win. Sometimes there are also Independents/Indies. These guys are on neither the wolf nor townie sides, they have their own unique win conditions which vary from game to game, and they usually number even fewer than the wolves, normally only one or two. Indies are bad for both the townies and the wolves most of the time, and they're usually pretty hard to catch due to how few of them there are.

Everyone is dealt a role in secret at the very start of the game so you know which faction you're on, townie, wolf, or indie. Wolves (and sometimes Indies, if there are multiple in play at once) have their own secret chat in addition to the public thread, which is usually in the form of a PM thread. This allows them to freely conspire behind the scenes free from the view of any other players. Townies (and usually Indies if they are alone) are normally dropped right in to the game with no secret PM threads however, meaning their only source of information and communication with other players is via the public thread.

As such, wolves know who the other wolves are and can communicate freely with them, however the townies know nothing.

The game is split up in to two different phases, a Day phase and a Night phase. During the day phase, every player has a set amount of time to communicate in the public thread and any private threads they're a part of. For a townie, your objective is to try and suss out who the wolves and indie(s) are. Again, your only source of information as a townie is what people say in the public thread, so you oftentimes have to pay very close attention to what people say and wait for any kind of a slip up from one of the wolves. As a wolf or indie, your objective during the Day phase is to try to communicate in the public thread so as not to draw suspicion to yourself, but not give the townies any reason for them to believe you are a wolf. Your objective is to blend in, more or less, not give any of the other players any reason to suspect you. Obviously there are different play styles ranging from very quiet and subtle to explosively bombastic, but that's the basic gist of it.

Before the Day phase ends, everyone can vote on someone who they want to Eliminate (however you're not required to if you don't want to.) Usually, this comes in the form of, somewhere in your post, saying something like VOTE: Jeevan. This will lock in your vote for that player unless you say UNVOTE: Jeevan, at which point your vote will be retracted. Usually it's also best to explain why you're voting for that person in your post unless you want people drawing suspicions on you for voting for someone with no prior explanation, haha. Once any given player reaches a certain number of votes, the Day phase instantly ends and that person is eliminated, at which point their role, and which party they were a part of is publicly revealed. If nobody reaches that criteria for the amount of votes needed for an elimination, or if enough people vote to not eliminate anyone (which is usually an option) then the Day phase will simply end without an elimination.

After the Day phase comes the Night phase. During the Night phase, nobody is allowed to communicate whatsoever in the public thread. So, if you're a townie with no PM threads of any kind, you have no idea what's going on behind the scenes other than what your gut is telling you, and other than what was said in the public thread. Wolves can still communicate privately during the Night phase. The Night phase is both when the wolves nightkill anyone of their choosing, and when any power townies or wolves can decide to use any powers of their choosing.

What I mean by "powers" is, in addition to regular "Vanilla Townies/VTs" who are just normal townies with no powers, there are also so called Power Townies, who generally have some sort of a power in addition to being a Townie. A few examples of this would be a Doctor, who can choose someone to protect and, in the event that the wolves attempt to night kill that person, that person won't die. Another example could be an Investigator, who can choose someone to follow, and in the event that the person they're following does something during the night, such as attempt a night kill, the Investigator is informed that something happened. It's up to each individual Power Townie if and when they want to reveal what their role is, and any information they've gathered, as Power Townies are the wolves' number 1 targets, so if they reveal what their role is, it paints an incredibly massive target on their back.

In addition, Wolves oftentimes have powers of their own, such as a Roleblocker, who can block any townie's attempt at a night action. A basic example of a Night phase could be this:

The wolves know who the Doctor is, as they revealed themselves the previous day phase. They could simply kill the Doctor, however the wolves have a roleblocker, so rather than do that, they can simply Roleblock the Doctor for this Night phase and not have to worry about it. So, the Wolf Roleblocker roleblocks the Doctor so the Doctor cannot use their ability to save anyone for that Night phase. After that, the Wolves choose a target to go after and nightkill that person. Generally, the wolves have to choose a specific wolf to execute the nightkill. Well, unlucky for them, the Investigator just so happens to follow the wolf who executes the kill, and is informed that that person did something during the night. The next Day phase, the person who was night killed is made public, and their role and party is revealed. They were a Vanilla Townie. Immediately the Investigator reveals themselves, and explains that the person they followed the previous night did something, and that they believe that person is the one who executed the night kill, and as such, is a wolf. After some discussion ensues (since wolves are perfectly capable of lying about having a role like this) the town agrees to vote off the person the Investigator followed, and they turn out to be a Wolf. The Investigator knows that this will make them Target #1 for the wolves, however they know that even if they die this Night phase, it was for the greater good as that reveal outed a wolf, and as such benefited the townies massively.

Lot of stuff to keep track of there, but that sort of gives you a general idea of the web of actions that happen during a Night phase. It's fairly complex to explain, but you'll get the hang of it pretty quick.

So, in summary:

Factions: Townies (Vanilla Townies, Power Townies,) Wolves, Indies.

Townies' goal is to figure out who the wolves and indies are via public discourse and eliminate them, Wolves' goal is to eliminate townies to the point that there are an equal number of townies and wolves, Indies' goal varies, but generally their goal is to simply survive, among other things.

Day phase: Public communication, and private communication for the wolves.

Night phase: Public communication ceases, power townies can choose to use their abilities, wolves choose who to nightkill, and if they want to use any abilities they have as well.

If anyone has any further questions on how it works, feel free to ask me or any of the other more experienced players.

2 hours ago, Jeevan said:

Wooooooo, 18 baby!  Ok, so anyone else wants in then we will just add you as backup!

Shoot for Sunday the 6th?  Anyone have an issue with this at all?  I can start the game right after I get home from work around 7pmish EST

Ah for god's sake, it happened again, hahaha. The 6th is literally the day before I leave on a quick trip to Ohio to visit one of my friends who lives up there. I'll be there from the morning of the 7th 'til the evening of the 10th. God, first this happens with Werewolf, then Survivor, then Werewolf again?! What's the saying, two's a coincidence, three's a pattern? Haha. If possible I'd like it if it could be pushed back to the night of the 10th, but if everyone else just wants to get it started as quickly as possible that's fine, just very inconvenient for me.

Edited by ZeldaFreak

Events Helper · Posted
8 minutes ago, fox said:

Same rules as everyone else.  Do not discuss the game (online or offline) outside of the game thread.

Jeevan will not pay for your couples therapy due to any trust issues that may result.  XD

The game should last a couple weeks (you will likely be eliminated before the end though.)  You should be following the thread and posting daily if possible.  If you aren't active, you are likely going to be letting your team down.

@Hammerfestus@BattySalem

Here is a quick and dirty primer.  We are playing with a bigger group so the numbers will be different and there might be more expanded roles.  If you have any questions, please ask and others can help you.

@Jeevan
I'm ready whenever.  Are there any other new players?

Not sure how much, if any, @G-type has played

Events Helper · Posted

WEEEEEELLLLLLLLLL we can make it the 6th 😉  Unless anyone wants to let @ZeldaFreak have a reprieve.  I think starting on a Sunday at evening time will be a good starter, remember the first day will be mostly feeling out anyways.  So personally I think you will be ok 😉  

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

WEEEEEELLLLLLLLLL we can make it the 6th 😉  Unless anyone wants to let @ZeldaFreak have a reprieve.  I think starting on a Sunday at evening time will be a good starter, remember the first day will be mostly feeling out anyways.  So personally I think you will be ok 😉  

I don't normally say a whole lot during the first day phase anyway since I'm usually just observing and seeing what people do, so I guess it wouldn't be a big deal, I would just prefer it if that wasn't gonna be the case, wherein an event like this starts when I'm away for the third time in a row.

• Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, ZeldaFreak said:

I don't normally say a whole lot during the first day phase anyway since I'm usually just observing and seeing what people do, so I guess it wouldn't be a big deal, I would just prefer it if that wasn't gonna be the case, wherein an event like this starts when I'm away for the third time in a row.

Stop planning trips 😒

• Eyeroll 1

Social Team · Posted
5 hours ago, BattySalem said:

Sounds good! ZeldaFan explained to me what happened the last game of werewolf and that's really why we're both concerned, want to be transparent, and want to hear everyone's opinions on this.

No one is going to hurt our feelings if they have objections! Please air them out here so everyone can have clear expectations and good communication. ❤️ 

You can always try the two headed dragon where you combine your brain power into one player.  This way you can discuss things amongst your self as you are just one player.....with a split personality.  

But yeah, it's hard as a couple to play the game as things can get a little heated.  Suggest you DON'T eliminate your significant other.  Hopefully one of you will get butted from the game not to late in the game or things will get tough.

Edited by FireHazard51