IGNORED

What Is Your Favorite Line / Bit Of Dialogue From A Video Game

PII

7 hours ago, RH said:

Let's not forget "You have died of dysentery" and the one joke that millions of kids simultaneously made with this game:

tumblr_m89mdaFbgi1qahm69o1_1280.png.0268520926b0cadbf1405771d59ed6ba.png

Here lies Beavis -- He never scored 😄 

(you can use this one if you hit one too many rocks on that river part):

Here lies Rosco -- Enos, you dipstick!  Ya done scuffed my vehicle! 😄 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PII said:

Seeing as no one has yet, I'll go ahead and post these classics:

This room.png

As my generation would say, it's the most infamous example of the NES saying, "Sike!" 😄 

Or for another thing my generation (early millennial) would say, congratulations AVGN!  You just beat Ghosts N' Goblins...NOT!!! 😄 

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

"I feel asleep." - Metal Gear [NES]

Not sure if it was meant to be "I feel sleepy" or "I fell asleep", but the latter would be even funnier since the character is verbally announcing that he's unconscious. Video game gold right there.

-CasualCart

1509264093_IFeelAsleep.jpg.a00f4e507b48f022ae8b40a50a852ec6.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4

"It's all ice cream and lollipops. That's what the nice man on TV said."

-woman in the clinic in the original Deus Ex

"The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee."

-Thief: The Dark Project

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Estil said:

I don't think I'll ever see moments in a video game quite like this one! 😄   I kid you not my jaw really did drop upon seeing the line at 40:50 in the first video!

Do fan translations really count? 😛 That one was really notorious for stuff like that.

"Buy somethin' will ya!" - Merchant, The Legend of Zelda

"Eat my Shorts!" Bart Simpson, Bart Vs. the Space Mutants

"Let's get mad, bad and crazy, 'toads!" Professor T. Bird, Battletoads

"Do a barrel roll!" - Peppy, Star Fox 64

"GET OUT!" - Kroc, Donkey Kong 64

"A wise dragon once told me 'Aim high in life, but watch out for flying boxes'." - Revilo, Spyro the Dragon

"Huh?" Spyro, Spyro the Dragon

"Where's everyone going? Bingo?" Leon, Resident Evil 4

"Don't tell me, three alarms and the mission is over?" Sam Fisher, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

"Of course not. This is no video game, Fisher." Lambert, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 4

One of my personal favorite exchanges has to be from The Curse of Monkey Island:

spacer.png

Guybrush: "Can I call you Bob?"

Murray: "You may call me MURRAY! I am a powerful, demonic force! I am the harbinger of your doom! And the forces of darkness will applaud me as I stride through the gates of Hell carrying your head on a pike!"

Guybrush: "Stride?"

Murray: "Alright then, ROLL! Roll through the gates of Hell! Must you take the fun out of everything?"

-----

Also, if anyone remembers some of the fan-made characters that could be found on the interwebs for Baldur's Gate, my personal favorite was the "Lewd Hobbit". He had over a dozen fully-voice dialog interactions and they were all great but my favorites were:

(Wilderness Interaction) - "What do you mean, "what are we gonna do"? You know! Eat berries, hump a rabbit, piss in a bush. Forest stuff!"

(Nighttime Interaction) - "It must be nighttime because it's getting hard to see exactly how much ass I am kicking."

(Death Interaction) - "Reload, reload, reload! Reload!" (meaning reload your last save 😉)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 5/26/2021 at 4:30 PM, DoctorEncore said:

How Symphony of the Night's “Miserable Pile of Secrets” Scene Works in  Japanese « Legends of Localization

One of my favorite lines from one of my all-time favorite games, this is actually a quote from French novelist, André Malraux.

I love that it is silly, melodramatic, and over the top in the way that videogames love to be. Yet it is also meaningful in the game world (Dracula's disdain for humans, Richter's initial presentation as the enemy, the abundance of secrets within the game, etc). I have no idea how this quote was chosen, but considering the obscurity of the reference and the relative infancy of the internet at the time, the person responsible for localization probably put quite a bit of thought into it. I also think the line reading by Michael Guinn is perfect.

My brother and I both memorized this dialogue back in the day. Every now and then we would role play as Dracula and Richter using this script, it never got old. Too funny 😂 

• Like 4