IGNORED

Console Debate #27 Atari Jaguar

fox

How do you rate Atari Jaguar?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Atari Jaguar?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/21/2021 at 06:00 AM

5 minutes ago, Strange said:

It’s a console I want but I don’t know if I am willing to spend the money required to own one. Seems popular with the guys at Atari Age though and I believe its got an okay homebrew scene.

Unfortunately, the prices have gotten crazy lately as they have with most consoles.  But you are correct that the homebrew scene is huge over at Atari Age.  There are lots of guys over there that truly love the console and can help out with questions about the system.

The good news is that an SD card based flash cart was released recently that will allow you to play just about any cart based game for the console.  It's not cheap, but if you can get one along with a console itself, it can help save a lot of money over getting a library of the best games.  Just something to think about.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DefaultGen said:

Lol that site is regularly updated. It just has some big boomer energy.

Understood.  I was specifically referring to the design and style, not the fact that it hasn't updated in years.  Upon fist click, I think most would assume it was an abandoned site from the 90s.  

4 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Wait.  Best Electronics ISN'T like looking into a time machine?  

I can’t get the actual site to load on my phone at the moment so I can’t verify that it’s still up, but here’s the AtariAge thread documenting the Jaguar fan site:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/293599-atari-jaguar-fan-site-frozen-in-time-since-2000/

Doom is actually pretty solid and there is an overlay for the keypad that lets you quickly swap to any other weapon.  Several other fun games for the system like Rayman and Theme Park and a decent homebrew scene.  Only a few must have exclusives like Alien vs Predator and Tempest 2000 though.  Not over the moon, but not too shabby either.

Yuck. I can't think of a console that I have experience that I enjoyed less than the Jaguar. Tiny library of games, only a handful of which are worth playing and every single one has a better version on some other platform.

I'm calling bullshit on Alien vs Predator. I've tried like hell to see what people enjoy about that game, and I never could get it. It's slow and boring. The framerate is God awful, the level design is uninspired, and the gameplay is just not fun. I often wonder if people who talk about it as a reason to own a Jaguar have ever actually played it. Maybe there's something redeeming quality there that I'm missing, but I doubt it.

Tempest is admittedly great fun, but to me, that is not a system seller. Not back then, and not now.

Probably 85% of the games are bad, and I mean really bad. I spent more time with and had more fun with my 32X then this mess. No thanks.

2/10

I never played one or found one in the wild for cheap as I have no motivation to track one like I did for a tg16/pc engine. I think the only game I would be interested in is Tempest 2000 but I got other 16 and 32 consoles that I rather play. I would at least rank it higher than the 5200 for having working controllers. 

A nine. One of my favorite consoles of all time. I have a complete retail collection (unless you consider Battlesphere as part of the original retail set) and quite a few post-retail releases.

Oddly enough I am not a huge fan of Tempest 2000. I like it well enough, but it would not make my top 10. I am also a fan of the controllers. Though not perfect, I always liked the number pad and thought the controllers had a good feel.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

3 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

4/10

Its got two good exclusives, Tempest and Cannon Fodder. They’re good but not worth plugging in for just those two games though.

Raiden is good but not exclusive.

Everyone seems to be forgetting Tempest isn't even an exclusive. It was ported to PS1 and Saturn.

1 hour ago, ThePhleo said:

Then it’s got Cannon Fodder going for it I guess....downgrade me to 3/10

That's available on numerous other consoles 😛

19 hours ago, JeremiahJT said:

Oddly enough I am not a huge fan of Tempest 2000. I like it well enough, but it would not make my top 10. I am also a fan of the controllers. Though not perfect, I always liked the number pad and thought the controllers had a good feel.

I'm also not a fan of Tempest because it's not the same playing it with a D-pad instead of a spinner, and I also like the controller a lot as well.  Normally a keypad of that size would be cumbersome and unwanted on any controller you could think of, but for whatever reason the jag controller grips well in my hand and I find myself using the keypad buttons quickly and efficiently while playing the small handfull of games I own.

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1