IGNORED

Got a call from WATA about my Sealed game/ 2% surcharge/ (new to forum!)

usmsci

Hey all, 

Just a quick question, to make sure I am not being scammed here. I sent in a Sealed Super Mario to Wata almost 2 months ago. Its the 7th production run variant (Sept - Dec 1987) - First Party H-Seam/No Rev-A and came in at a 9.4/B+. 

My initial declared value was way too low and so it turns out my game has been in the 'verification' bin. So they called me and said that my declared value was way too low and that they called 3 different dealers to get a feel for the value. He said that that was customary for them to do this to try to come up with a declared value. For those more in the know - is this true? 

I know that the NES Sealed games, especially the Super Mario sealed has gone up through the stratosphere but he said of the 3 dealers that he called - the minimum value was $75k and the maximum was $95k. Thats the buy price - not what they would sell it for. He said he would just make the 2% surcharge $1,000 with no extra cost to fed ex it overnight. (I already got the tracking number.). I havent paid the $1k yet via paypal, he said he would go ahead and send it to me anyway because its been so long waiting. 

Any thoughts? 

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

I have no doubt that its probably worth as much as they say: 

check out this e-bay listing that sold. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NES-Sealed-Super-Mario-Bros-H-Seam-Original-Shrink-Wrap-Nintendo-Case-Included-/393222846631?hash=item5b8de878a7%3Ag%3AkyYAAOSwTMxgXoIs&nma=true&si=uH5ThZn3Dzj2qExjKMXyXsZfuFA%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

the box is a little creased at the top(definitely not as good as mine), 2 runs past mine(variation 9 i think) and is not even graded and it sold for $25k. 

A deal is a deal - they say on their website 2% of the declared value over $2,500. So its not like he called me and made something up. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, usmsci said:

A deal is a deal - they say on their website 2% of the declared value over $2,500. So its not like he called me and made something up. 

They charge a percentage of the supposed value of the game to grade it? Uncapped?

What is their justification?

• Like 1

1) What a good problem to have, congrats on the grade. 😁

2) while I don’t personally like the high up charge, I can see the point of view. Whether or not it’s completely justified I don’t know but as others have stated it is mentioned on site.

Unfortunately if you do choose to sell your jacuzzi full of money will be just slightly emptier. 

solid score, though.

It sucks but Mario is legit worth a ton of money now. An oval seal 9.4 A sold for 150k this week. I've never crossed mine because I was worried about the declared value nonsense... and that was when the game was in 20k range.  At this point I'd pay more in grading than I originally did to buy it as a VGA copy. Mario market is crazy right now.

5 minutes ago, jonebone said:

It sucks but Mario is legit worth a ton of money now. An oval seal 9.4 A sold for 150k this week. I've never crossed mine because I was worried about the declared value nonsense... and that was when the game was in 20k range.  At this point I'd pay more in grading than I originally did to buy it as a VGA copy. Mario market is crazy right now.

do you have a link to that one that sold for $150k? 

I just sent my SMB in, won't be a high grade, so I'll see if I get a call. Good to hear that they are at least doing some due diligence before assigning values.

And I am paying more to get games graded than I paid for them.  Again, good problem to have.

6 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

Wait a second... let me process this. The company that is brought onto the show Pawn Stars to value an item they graded has to call 3 different dealers to get a feel for the value of an item you sent in? What world am I living in?

Listen bud I know a guy who would pay 2 million for this game without even thinking. 

7 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

What happens when they've had your games for an entire year and then in that time some of those games are now worth $10,000?

If that happens I'll gladly pay the increased fee... which is probably the way most of us feel with the current market conditions.

I'm not a huge fan of WATA's approach regarding the surge charge, or the long lead times for that matter, but there doesn't seem to be a better option to maximize value. 

23 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

Wait a second... let me process this. The company that is brought onto the show Pawn Stars to value an item they graded has to call 3 different dealers to get a feel for the value of an item you sent in? What world am I living in?

Actually that episode on pawn stars - he didnt give him a value. I believe for that game there was "no ceiling". Based on the SMB that sold for $660K which was a later run that the one on pawn stars (I think), the $1 Million that guy was asking probably isnt too far off considering its the only one sealed with that variant at near perfect condition. 

Also, Pawn Stars is scripted for the most part so all the people that are on there are for the show to make money and the sellers to get visibility. So take that for what it's worth. 

12 minutes ago, kell said:

If that happens I'll gladly pay the increased fee... which is probably the way most of us feel with the current market conditions.

I'm not a huge fan of WATA's approach regarding the surge charge, or the long lead times for that matter, but there doesn't seem to be a better option to maximize value. 

Even if it's a good problem to have, I already paid for these games to be graded a year ago at the values they were back then. This sudden surge in prices, and the massive delay in grading my order, should not mean that I have to suddenly pay Wata thousands of more dollars on top of the money I already paid them. This has me concerned.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, avoin said:

For you, add a punch out and make it 1.57 milli. 😁

haha I dont have a sealed Punchout but I have more games to grade including: 

Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3 (yellow stripe with no text, not sure how much rarer those are?)
Mega Man 4
Mega Man 5
Mega Man 6
Super Mario 3 (x2)
Rad Racer
Blades of Steel (Earlier version, Black Seal)
Pacman Namco
Karate Champ
Star Wars (JVC)
TMNT
TMNT 2
Superman
Life Force
Gradius

Theres more but thats some of the main ones I have. 

• Wow! 1

16 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

Even if it's a good problem to have, I already paid for these games to be graded a year ago at the values they were back then. 

Agreed, that's a good point. I guess I would argue if that scenario arose, at least to a value close to the original estimated date. 

Maybe I'll send them a request for lost stock market gains (18.6%) on the my money they've had for over five months. 

Edited by kell
  • Like 2

Just now, usmsci said:

haha I dont have a sealed Punchout but I have more games to grade including: 

Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3 (yellow stripe with no text, not sure how much rarer those are?)
Mega Man 4
Mega Man 5
Mega Man 6
Super Mario 3 (x2)
Rad Racer
Blades of Steel (Earlier version, Black Seal)
Pacman Namco
Karate Champ
Star Wars (JVC)
TMNT
TMNT 2
Superman
Life Force
Gradius

Theres more but thats some of the main ones I have. 

Just to clarify I was making a joke from the most recent wata appearance on pawn stars ha, with the way the Mario markets shaking up I could probably afford a 1.5 cib last production. Wild stuff. 

pretty solid list though been recently going through my stuff and sending it off.