IGNORED

Got a call from WATA about my Sealed game/ 2% surcharge/ (new to forum!)

usmsci

It looks like that I cannot sell it on Ebay for the buy it now price that I have set because I have a monthly seller limit. Thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. It looks like you have to have a long long history of selling items before they will increase your limit. (my current limit is $25k). What if someone (that isn't a business) just has a high priced item to sell? Been looking for a way to contact an actual ebay 'agent' but haven't found it yet. 

Any suggestions? 

4 minutes ago, usmsci said:

It looks like that I cannot sell it on Ebay for the buy it now price that I have set because I have a monthly seller limit. Thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. It looks like you have to have a long long history of selling items before they will increase your limit. (my current limit is $25k). What if someone (that isn't a business) just has a high priced item to sell? Been looking for a way to contact an actual ebay 'agent' but haven't found it yet. 

Any suggestions? 

HA will sell it for you for the low, low price of 35% of the sale value.

• Wow! 1

13 minutes ago, usmsci said:

Any suggestions? 

I just found this out as well when I went to sell some higher end games on an old account. Now I'm looking into using certified link for my games when I'm ready to sell. HA fees seem excessive to me and eBay doesn't seem to get the higher end bidders like HA and CL.

Congrats on that grade!

• Like 1

"CertifedLink offers high-quality yet economical auction and brokerage services for certified (third-party graded) collectibles from all eras including coins, cards, posters, video games, action figures and other forms of historical and popular culture memorabilia."

https://www.certifiedlink.com

Seems like a good alternative to HA for high end stuff.

I did! Not sure what you were expecting, but I'd be happy with that grade.

@kell

I just realized after reading the ebay docs on seller limits - is that that only applies to LISTING amounts. In other words you can start an auction with a reserve amount and what the item ultimately goes for can be higher than your seller limit. 

So if your seller limit is $10,000 you can start the auction at $0.01 and have a reserve at $20,000. If the reserve is met (and even if you get more, than thats ok. )

2 hours ago, usmsci said:

Any suggestions? 

Absolutely do not sell something like that on eBay. They do not protect the seller. The best way to go for this is to hire an attorney and have them assist you with consigning it through Heritage. This forum hates Heritage, but they are real easy to work with, they have the buyers you're looking for, and they put the seller first. 

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

Absolutely do not sell something like that on eBay. They do not protect the seller. The best way to go for this is to hire an attorney and have them assist you with consigning it through Heritage. This forum hates Heritage, but they are real easy to work with, they have the buyers you're looking for, and they put the seller first. 

I dunno that I'd say the forum as a whole "hates" Heritage, per se. There's plenty of people on here who buy and sell on there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

are they really going to take 35% of the final price? Thats outrageous. for the $660K game that sold, the buyer payed HA $110k and you are saying the seller paid them $150k(ish)??

• Wow! 1

9 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I dunno that I'd say the forum as a whole "hates" Heritage, per se. There's plenty of people on here who buy and sell on there.

And to be more clear, a lot of the “haters” aren’t hating on HA per se. We’re more strongly disliking the scummy acts that’s happening in between sales of some of the auctions on there. These subsequently are skewing the market values to the point it has become a market for random guesses where most of us can no longer participate. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, usmsci said:

are they really going to take 35% of the final price? Thats outrageous. for the $660K game that sold, the buyer payed HA $110k and you are saying the seller paid them $150k(ish)??

I've never been charged the 35% fee on top of the buyers fee that they include, but that is something you will have to work out with HA which, in this case, your attorney could negotiate considering this will def be a high value item. I've worked with Valarie and she's been extremely helpful with everything I've sold. HA is def where you want to be.

Edited by Gulag Joe

Auctions fees for most large exposure houses and high value items are high, in the 20-35% range. I thought this was known. At least according to pawn stars!

You cant possibly think someone is going to deal with the hassle, marketing, processing fees associated with a 100k + item for a 10%? Maybe im wrong, but I wouldnt. 

Edited by MrWunderful

1 hour ago, Gulag Joe said:

Does the attorney charge a flat fee, or a percentage? 

18 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Does the attorney charge a flat fee, or a percentage? 

Set up a consultation like you would with anything you might need an attorney for (fees for that vary) and then they would be able to discuss a price from there. It shouldn't cost more than 3k max. They're basically your agent. Again, this is a process you might be able to do on your own, but when you're dealing with 6 figure items, I think having an attorney on your side is something to consider.

7 hours ago, usmsci said:

@kell

I just realized after reading the ebay docs on seller limits - is that that only applies to LISTING amounts. In other words you can start an auction with a reserve amount and what the item ultimately goes for can be higher than your seller limit. 

So if your seller limit is $10,000 you can start the auction at $0.01 and have a reserve at $20,000. If the reserve is met (and even if you get more, than thats ok. )

Yeah, but no one will ever bid on your auction with a reserve price. Not sure why they still have this outdated feature.

On 4/16/2021 at 7:28 AM, fcgamer said:

I'm wearing something like that around my neck as we speak, though mine has a dragon on it. I paid $15 for it at a night market near @OptOut , and likely overpaid 😄

Its as big as a Game Boy Advance SP and is Serpentine which has not been used in 300 years roughly for carvings. Because there are irregularities with its darker spots inconsistencies mean there was not much selection at that time. Now better pieces would have been available with our advancements in selection these days. I went to a rock store to find out. I was offered $11,500 US and never sold to the inquirer!

FiftyCents2.jpg

• Like 2

Declared value should be 100% up to the person submitting the game.  Your game was declared at $1k, but is worth $100k and gets damaged at Wata or in return shipping?  You only get up to $1k in compensation.  And if Wata says it cost $60 to grade my game, it doesn't matter if it's a $1k game or a $100k game, do the job and don't jerk people around.

If they want to inform the customer that they might want to add more insurance on the return shipment, fine.  But eliminate the appearance of scumminess by involving the shipping company directly, or at least pointing the customer to the shippers web page with an official statement on exactly what the cost of insurance is, based on value.

-ud

Edited by undamned
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, undamned said:

Declared value should be 100% up to the person submitting the game.  Your game was declared at $1k, but is worth $100k and gets damaged at Wata or in return shipping?  You only get up to $1k in compensation.  And if Wata says it cost $60 to grade my game, it doesn't matter if it's a $1k game or a $100k game, do the job and don't jerk people around.

If they want to inform the customer that they might want to add more insurance on the return shipment, fine.  But eliminate the appearance of scumminess by involving the shipping company directly, or at least pointing the customer to the shippers web page with an official statement on exactly what the cost of insurance is, based on value.

-ud

This is what they would do if they actually wanted to protect their customers, but it seems to me that they want to squeeze dollars out of their customers so your plan doesn't really work for that. Maybe they're self-insuring and keeping a mountain of money in case something happens with someone's game, but that shouldn't be the customer's responsibility to pay for, imho. The customer should pay whatever they want for their shipping insurance and it should be paid to the shipper. Involving WATA just allows them to skim off the top which is total BS.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 5:41 PM, Gulag Joe said:

Even if it's a good problem to have, I already paid for these games to be graded a year ago at the values they were back then. This sudden surge in prices, and the massive delay in grading my order, should not mean that I have to suddenly pay Wata thousands of more dollars on top of the money I already paid them. This has me concerned.

That's despicable, unethical, and possibly illegal.

• Like 1