IGNORED

Best console ports of old PC/DOS games?

AstralSoul

I'm talking about Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Diablo, Warcraft, etc. Is the Diablo port on PS1 any good? Is there any console version of Wolfenstein and Doom that match how good they play on PC? Aside from modern digital releases, I've played Doom on Switch and Wolf3D on ps3 and they play almost perfectly. But I'm talking like 5th gen consoles and backwards. I've only played Doom and Wolf on SNES and as predicted they do not play all that well, at least not as good as the PC versions. Duke Nukem 64 is a good port of DN3D but cuts out the music which is unfortunate.

So with that said, what are some good PC/DOS to console ports from the 90s and earlier that actually play as well as the PC versions? 

2 hours ago, OptOut said:

Yeah, Duke Nukem, Quake and Hexen all play well on the N64. Obviously Doom 64 is it's own game, but it is a great Doom game in its own right. Anyone who complains about the controller can bite my entire ass.

It's too bad Doom 64 wasn't just a port of Doom. But yeah it was really good in it's own right. Andi think we are the only ones here who agree that N64 has the best controllers. Three armed aliens ftw!

And yes Hexen, Duke Nukem, Quake and Doom 64 are all fantastic.

• Love 1

Switch Doom is a remake of Doom in Unity. I think there was some internet gamer outrage about it when it released.

Most console ports are pretty grungy without making a bunch of "Well, considering the limitations..." arguments. The best ones will have features the PC game doesn't like Doom 64 is its own thing or Diablo PS1 has local co-op.

SimCity on SNES is a great port, although I don't know if it beats playing with a mouse. You get a Mario statue though!

Star Control II is pretty notably improved from DOS to 3DO, mostly with voice acting that really brings out the personality of the game.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Switch Doom is a remake of Doom in Unity. I think there was some internet gamer outrage about it when it released.

Most console ports are pretty grungy without making a bunch of "Well, considering the limitations..." arguments. The best ones will have features the PC game doesn't like Doom 64 is its own thing or Diablo PS1 has local co-op.

SimCity on SNES is a great port, although I don't know if it beats playing with a mouse. You get a Mario statue though!

Star Control II is pretty notably improved from DOS to 3DO, mostly with voice acting that really brings out the personality of the game.

SNES SimCity is my favorite version of the game just based on the soundtrack alone. And yes Doom 1&2 (and 3?) Were remade in unity but I think they're good, and close enough to the originals for me. But I'm asking about older consoles for collection purposes as well. Duke Nukem Advance on GBA is a really good game for the portable but it's its own game, not a port iirc. Ill have to check out Diablo on PS1.

SNES Wolfenstein DOES at least have a map, which I think improves the game by a surprising amount.

I actually really like that game, it's a unique feeling to play an FPS on a Super Nintendo lol! I KNOW that if I had had it as a kid it would have been one of my favourite games ever, perhaps I should also check out Doom... I have the 32X version and I like that too, lol! 😅

• Like 2

I really like the PS1 port of Diablo.  You can play it co-op local, use double speed, and use the buttons to hack and slash.  It gives the game a more Gauntlet vibe.  It also has over an hour of voice work for the lore, which is something cool to hear.  Spellcasting is a bit tricky and saves take up a absurd 10 blocks (it came with a memory card back in the day.)

• Like 2

Wolfenstein 3D is great on the Jaguar and the 3DO, and I feel even better than the DOS original. Higher quality textures, map screen, extra weapons and (imho) a better, more condensed level set. The 3DO port also has the entire DOS level set as well, and a new soundtrack.

Doom on PS1 was amazing as well. As far as how it compares with the original DOS game probably is a matter of opinion, but I always liked the new, creepy soundtrack and the added lighting and graphical effects.

• Like 1

EA put out some good ones for the Genesis back then.  

Starflight (awesome game)

Might and Magic II

And, of course, Pirates Gold!

EDIT: Oh, and the definitive way of playing Star Control II is the 3DO rom of the game.  You can download it for free at SourceForge under its subtitle, "The Ur-Quan Masters."

Edited by Sumer
  • Like 2

Homebrew Team · Posted

Doom for PS1 was great.  There were compromises, but minor in the grand scheme to play it on a console in the 90's.  I still play it to this day, my original long box copy.  

I was going to chime in with a DOS title I wish made it way to console, Carmageddon, but it turns out it did on N64.    

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

34 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

I was going to chime in with a DOS title I wish made it way to console, Carmageddon, but it turns out it did on N64.    

Ooooof, yeah... Now technically it's not even a port it's its own game... But one HORRIBLY mangled at the hands of Titus... Yes, THAT Titus, who also published Superman 64 and a BUNCH of other shit!

Now, I would never actually recommend anyone play Carmageddon 64, LEAST of all people who like the original PC version... 

HOWEVER, if you happen to be a complete sicko, like yours truly, you will definitely be able to get a BUNCH of sick kicks out of this game! It is absolutely in the "so bad it's good" territory, but only if you know what you're letting yourself in for. It's a broken mess, but boy, WHAT a mess! 😉

1 hour ago, cj_robot said:

Wolfenstein 3D is great on the Jaguar and the 3DO, and I feel even better than the DOS original. Higher quality textures, map screen, extra weapons and (imho) a better, more condensed level set. The 3DO port also has the entire DOS level set as well, and a new soundtrack.

Doom on PS1 was amazing as well. As far as how it compares with the original DOS game probably is a matter of opinion, but I always liked the new, creepy soundtrack and the added lighting and graphical effects.

Have you played the 3DO port of Doom by any chance? I tried it out myself, but for some reason I experienced HORRENDOUS input lag on the controls... I booted up Wolfenstein on my 3DO to compare straight after, and it played fine...

Anyone else notice anything like that on 3DO doom?

The low-numbered Might and Magic and Wizardry games get a much better graphical treatment on home consoles than they ever did on the PC.

The only downside of the console releases is an inability to port your characters from one game to the next -- but as I understand it that feature may not have worked as intended in the first place.

Prince of Persia "feels better" on the console IMO -- though I'm sure you could make the argument that the control is more precise with a keyboard.

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

Have you played the 3DO port of Doom by any chance? I tried it out myself, but for some reason I experienced HORRENDOUS input lag on the controls... I booted up Wolfenstein on my 3DO to compare straight after, and it played fine...

Anyone else notice anything like that on 3DO doom?

Yes, 3DO Doom is awful. It was actually ported by the same studio (Logicware) as the 3DO Wolfenstein, but apparently the publisher of Doom just wanted it out as fast as possible, regardless if it was ready or not. Interplay seemed to be more helpful with the production of Wolf3D

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, OptOut said:

SNES Wolfenstein DOES at least have a map, which I think improves the game by a surprising amount.

I actually really like that game, it's a unique feeling to play an FPS on a Super Nintendo lol! I KNOW that if I had had it as a kid it would have been one of my favourite games ever, perhaps I should also check out Doom... I have the 32X version and I like that too, lol! 😅

Oh god a map would've helped so much! So Wolf 3D on SNES is good? And Doom on SNES is bad right? So I've heard. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fox said:

I really like the PS1 port of Diablo.  You can play it co-op local, use double speed, and use the buttons to hack and slash.  It gives the game a more Gauntlet vibe.  It also has over an hour of voice work for the lore, which is something cool to hear.  Spellcasting is a bit tricky and saves take up a absurd 10 blocks (it came with a memory card back in the day.)

Since I'm not overly fond of point and click style dungeon crawlers, the direct control would probably enhance my enjoyment of the game even more. Not to mention with console ports I don't have to wonder whether or not they'll be able to play, unlike most old PC and DOS games. That's kind of awesome that Diablo came with a memory card. 

• Thanks 1

Best console ports of PC games.  Fun....

I'm just doing this as a memory exercise for myself, so if I miss something or get it wrong, oh well...  😄

Emulated/simulated releaese like Doom since BFG package or the Wii Indiana Jones title that had Fate of Atlantis emulated as an extra I won't include.  Also excluding handheld games like the GBA that had some good copies.

The Lost VIkings and Blackthorne had fantastic releases of those PC titles on SNES.
PS1 got amazing conversions of Diablo(I prefer it with controller) and Warcraft II.
Wing Commander had a mostly excellent port to the SNES, as did its addon-pack too which also hit SNES on a 2nd cart.

Command & Conquer and Starcraft 64 on N64 were utterly amazing in how well they were done.
3DO got like the definintively awesome release of Star Control II that the homebrew release these days often uses assets from to enhance the experience. (The Ur Quan Masters.)
Nintendo/Maxis took a few liberties, but wow was SimCity(Classic) done fantastic on there.
More obscure sure, but Spectre was a PC DOS game, the SNES game looks and plays quite well.
Hexen, Quake/Quake II are shockingly good on N64 and more or less faithful.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but what about the Ultima DOS titles, aren't they same that hit the NES and/or SNES?

I know it's uncool, but just because it stood for years as sadly the most accurate to stage design and total stages included, but bizarrely SNES Doom was the most complete copy of the game, despite the asinine NO saving and 1 of 8 monster views, until they started simulating/emulating the entire original WAD package which is just weird.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Best console ports of PC games.  Fun....

I'm just doing this as a memory exercise for myself, so if I miss something or get it wrong, oh well...  😄

Emulated/simulated releaese like Doom since BFG package or the Wii Indiana Jones title that had Fate of Atlantis emulated as an extra I won't include.  Also excluding handheld games like the GBA that had some good copies.

The Lost VIkings and Blackthorne had fantastic releases of those PC titles on SNES.
PS1 got amazing conversions of Diablo(I prefer it with controller) and Warcraft II.
Wing Commander had a mostly excellent port to the SNES, as did its addon-pack too which also hit SNES on a 2nd cart.

Command & Conquer and Starcraft 64 on N64 were utterly amazing in how well they were done.
3DO got like the definintively awesome release of Star Control II that the homebrew release these days often uses assets from to enhance the experience. (The Ur Quan Masters.)
Nintendo/Maxis took a few liberties, but wow was SimCity(Classic) done fantastic on there.
More obscure sure, but Spectre was a PC DOS game, the SNES game looks and plays quite well.
Hexen, Quake/Quake II are shockingly good on N64 and more or less faithful.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but what about the Ultima DOS titles, aren't they same that hit the NES and/or SNES?

I know it's uncool, but just because it stood for years as sadly the most accurate to stage design and total stages included, but bizarrely SNES Doom was the most complete copy of the game, despite the asinine NO saving and 1 of 8 monster views, until they started simulating/emulating the entire original WAD package which is just weird.

For some reason I never thought of Blackthorne or Lost Vikings aw PC titles because I've only played them on SNES and they feel like console games, so I guess that definitely reinstates how well they were done. And yea seems like every version of Doom is missing something. I'm genuinely curious though what IS the best console version of Doom? I've heard the PS1 version is but isn't it missing some levels? I never played it on SNES but I've heard nothing but bad things, I didn't even realize there was no save option, that's annoying.

Jaguar port of Doom is solid despite missing some levels.  There is no music but in a way that makes things more creepy.  It came with an overlay for the keypad that allowed you to switch to any weapon with a button press.  It even had Lan support.

Edited by fox