IGNORED

Best console ports of old PC/DOS games?

AstralSoul

On 3/12/2021 at 8:17 PM, Tanooki said:

3DO got like the definintively awesome release of Star Control II that the homebrew release these days often uses assets from to enhance the experience. (The Ur Quan Masters.)

Actually, the "homebrew" release is really just the 3DO source code and assets tweaked/adapted enough to run properly on modern PCs.  It's the only way to play the original game on a modern platform outside of emulation (DOSBox, etc.) due to the fact that Toys For Bob lost the original source code at some point, leaving only the 3DO code as remaining existing code for the game in any form.  I suppose it's a good thing that they did such a fantastic job porting the original code from x86 PC to the 3DO, otherwise we'd have probably seen yet another not-quite-right fan attempt at a "port" (remake).

On 3/12/2021 at 11:19 PM, AstralSoul said:

For some reason I never thought of Blackthorne or Lost Vikings aw PC titles because I've only played them on SNES and they feel like console games, so I guess that definitely reinstates how well they were done. And yea seems like every version of Doom is missing something. I'm genuinely curious though what IS the best console version of Doom? I've heard the PS1 version is but isn't it missing some levels? I never played it on SNES but I've heard nothing but bad things, I didn't even realize there was no save option, that's annoying.

I never had either on SNES In the day, they started on PC and just translated that smoothly.  I only later ended up with Nintendo versions on a second hand basis (well SNES, GBA I did get those new.)

As far as DOOM goes, if we stick to pre simulated/pre emulated stuff, totally made from scratch things in the 32 and 16bit era systems the answer is kind of easy but a split.  If you're after accurate and most included stage design the SNES wins. If you want best presentation values closest to original if not perhaps maybe a little exceeding then PS1 takes it.  It's just weird but went that way.  SNES gets crapped on, and in some respects fairly so.  You can get hung up on walls, 1/8 monster view angles, NO SAVING (grr), and no ceiling/floor textures are its major issues.

Events Team · Posted

KHan's NES port of Leisure Suit Larry is my favorite iteration after the original. 

The PC "remasters" of the 90s and all subsequent releases translated the first three games into point and click adventures.  And while I enjoy the genre, I prefer the original command style.

KHan's version throws out the point and click for a more standard adventure game with direct control.  Still not a command game, but it translates very well to the Nintendo. 

14 hours ago, Sumer said:

Wasn't StarDock going to put out a new Star Control at some point?  Or did they and I totally missed it?

Maybe?  They did release Star Control Origins though and some add-on packs after the fact.  It's kind of a remaster/re-imagining of the original game taking some liberties, updating other parts (like scout ship DOS overhead now a 3d terrain.)  I think if you ignore the crappy scores based on people hating them for the crap they pulled and find some that genuinely played it the game was fairly well received.

• Like 1