IGNORED

Whats your job?

Nes Freak

9 hours ago, Californication said:

Good to hear there are jobs available. I'd be surprised if the gig jobs can compete with a regular full time job.

I think they opened San Diego indoor dining recently, but at 25% capacity.

Hopefully, the workers will return as more younger people are able to get the vaccine.

Honestly I think the workers aren't coming back. The weak and badly run restaurants won't survive. Honestly, this was a purge that was a long time coming. But this has become such a volitile industry, so who knows?

One thing is for certain though, we had a near record weekend at my job. And we haven't even added outside seating yet. This summer is going to be gangbusters and out of control. My back hurts thinking about it!

2 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Honestly I think the workers aren't coming back. The weak and badly run restaurants won't survive. Honestly, this was a purge that was a long time coming. But this has become such a volitile industry, so who knows?

One thing is for certain though, we had a near record weekend at my job. And we haven't even added outside seating yet. This summer is going to be gangbusters and out of control. My back hurts thinking about it!

I feel like once most of the population is vaccinated alot of industries are going to be seeing record numbers. I for one cannot wait to take a vacation lol

3 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I feel like once most of the population is vaccinated alot of industries are going to be seeing record numbers. I for one cannot wait to take a vacation lol

6 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

My wife and I actually just went out to a restaurant for the first time in a year after getting vaccinated. The surge of customers is definitely coming!

5 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

My wife and I actually just went out to a restaurant for the first time in a year after getting vaccinated. The surge of customers is definitely coming!

I think there will br a surge, but I do not think it will create lasting growth. I keep hearing comparisons to the surge after WWII and that is not going to happen.

48 minutes ago, Californication said:

I think there will br a surge, but I do not think it will create lasting growth. I keep hearing comparisons to the surge after WWII and that is not going to happen.

The Foodservice/hospitality industry typically doesn't replace lost revenue from inclement weather or natural disasters. If you close for a day or a month, those sales are gone. The coming surge, regardless of whether it's lasting, is greatly needed to pump some desperately needed revenue to replace all the sales that were lost this year from covid. Another consideration is that many restaurants, albeit typically ones that are poorly run, closed this year permanently creating less competition for dine in service. Others, like previously mentioned, will be unequipped to manage the coming surge due to a lack of staffing, although that's often an issue of mismanagement also. As an industry professional, I'm highly curious how this summer plays out and we return to normalcy.

I have Easter off as a paid holiday. I have never had a paid holiday in my 20 year career! The owner here is aggressively investing in the goodwill of his core staff so they feel appreciated and will unlikely be poached from other restaurants. I've had two former employers out of the blue try and throw money at me to get me to leave my current job(not happening). These are unprecedented times for restaurant employees right now. A year ago, many of my peers in the industry were out of work. Now they are in better career positions than ever. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

I honestly expected salad bars and buffets to be gone for a long time.

The buffets (at least the ones I go to) in Colorado have been open for awhile.  They have reduced capacity and you just have to wear your mask and put on some disposable gloves when you go to dish up your food.

2 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

I honestly expected salad bars and buffets to be gone for a long time.

Yeah, I wasn't sure how I felt about that.  I mean, if people are smart and not leaving the house if they are sick, washing their hands, and even sanitizing their hands again before going to the buffet, I really don't think it's a problem.  But all of these things should be happening regardless of COVID.  It bothers me that many people consider that type of stuff to be "the new norm" when it should have been the norm all along.

In fact, outside of wearing masks, nearly everything that the CDC has recommended for the purposes of social distancing is stuff I've been doing most of my life.  That only recommendation that I didn't really care for was the 6 foot distance because I really don't like to stand that close to other people.  

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot where the discussion on restaurant work was. I read this artilce and apparently there are some restaurants paying out a bonus for staying with them after 3 months around here.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/entertainment/restaurants-and-bars/fl-et-south-florida-restaurants-desperate-workers-signing-bonus-20210412-wda32xorgnbmzddxsngrsqqv3u-story.html

On 3/27/2021 at 8:59 AM, Link said:

Aside from people in offices, schools, or hospitals who have dialed incorrectly

I always set 8 to dial out for my clients' VOIP systems specifically for this reason. It's a mistake to use 9.

On 3/27/2021 at 2:02 PM, MegaMan52 said:

I've worked as a Dishwasher since 2011, been yelled at, looked down upon, been everyone's slave, cut my hands/fingers (no matter how careful I am), and put up with literally nobody appreciating my hard work. Luckily I'm only 160 lbs, eat lots of fruit, drink water, and am fairly strong, so I've been able to handle the stress of this job for the last ten years or so.

I've also recorded, edited, and uploaded videos onto YouTube since 2006, which is a hobby and not an actual paying job. But it is still very stressful and time-consuming like a job.

Which kind of restaurant uses people to wash dishes?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Which kind of restaurant uses people to wash dishes?

Whose job do you think it is to get dishes washed in a commercial kitchen? 😛

I've done dishwasher-duty before in my church's kitchen (required to have commercial appliances), and I can assure you that even with a Hobart washing machine, it is a full time, full attention job to sort/arrange and pre-spray all of the dishes keep dish racks going through the machine, monitor the status of the machine (whether it needs more soap, etc), and then sort/stack the clean dishes.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 3

I'm currently an office smurf for local government, in a position that by its nature couldn't be remote so work life didn't change much at all last year...even if everything else did. 

Regarding the restaurant staffing, it's amazing how much demand there is right now, there's a ton of "Hiring now!" signs all over most restaurants, and there's a freeway billboard for the local McD's announcing $16hr crew pay. It's almost tempting to look for a second job, but I just don't have the energy for it 😂

Edited by anruiukimi

15 minutes ago, anruiukimi said:

Regarding the restaurant staffing, it's amazing how much demand there is right now, there's a ton of "Hiring now!" signs all over most restaurants, and there's a freeway billboard for the local McD's announcing $16hr crew pay. It's almost tempting to look for a second job, but I just don't have the energy for it 😂

Yeah -- I swung through my nearest Burger King the other day, and they had signs everywhere that they were hiring, and the owner was working the window and filling orders.

Chik Fil A has maintained solid staffing through this whole ordeal, though.

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

Yeah -- I swung through my nearest Burger King the other day, and they had signs everywhere that they were hiring, and the owner was working the window and filling orders.

Chik Fil A has maintained solid staffing through this whole ordeal, though.

Funny how that works! I haven't paid much attention to our local Chik Fil A, so I don't know if it's the same here, but that's interesting.

3 minutes ago, anruiukimi said:

Funny how that works! I haven't paid much attention to our local Chik Fil A, so I don't know if it's the same here, but that's interesting.

Well, they definitely pay better, out of the gate -- and arguably your employee meal perks are "better" than what you'd get at most of the alternatives.

But I think in terms of covid-era restaurant employment -- they also have the option of about half of their staff working outside.

2 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Whose job do you think it is to get dishes washed in a commercial kitchen? 😛

I've done dishwasher-duty before in my church's kitchen (required to have commercial appliances), and I can assure you that even with a Hobart washing machine, it is a full time, full attention job to sort/arrange and pre-spray all of the dishes keep dish racks going through the machine, monitor the status of the machine (whether it needs more soap, etc), and then sort/stack the clean dishes.

That's not a dishwasher, that's a dish manager if you're just funnelling them into a machine. I wouldn't say I'm a dish washer if I'm not washing dishes.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

That's not a dishwasher, that's a dish manager if you're just funnelling them into a machine. I wouldn't say I'm a dish washer if I'm not washing dishes.

Are you being serious?

And despite the Hobart doing the actual sanitization, there is still quite a bit of "manual" dishwashing that takes place prior to putting the dish racks into the machine.

Anyway, if you've never operated that equipment, or dealt with racks of dishes that go through one, I can assure you that it is hard work that doesn't just happen on its own 😛

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Are you being serious?

And despite the Hobart doing the actual sanitization, there is still quite a bit of "manual" dishwashing that takes place prior to putting the dish racks into the machine.

Anyway, if you've never operated that equipment, or dealt with racks of dishes that go through one, I can assure you that it is hard work that doesn't just happen on its own 😛

Not to mention a lot of stuff cant (or shouldnt?) go through a dishwasher like expensive chef knives, pots, etc. 

4 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Not to mention a lot of stuff cant (or shouldnt?) go through a dishwasher like expensive chef knives, pots, etc. 

Yeah, pots and pans are sink washed, because they just have to be "clean" rather than "sterile" -- though fundamentally, if they can tolerate being heated on the stove or in an oven, they should tolerate boiling water in the dishwasher.

No experience with handling expensive chef knives in a church kitchen, so all of our cutlery went through the machine out of convenience.

Plates, silverware, and cups (anything in contact with served food that isn't getting heated up on a cooking surface) are getting sterilzed in the Hobart, though.

EDIT: but that aside, the sorting-and-rinsing phase, where you are clearing plates into the trash and spraying everything off into the sink disposal is probably one of the most disgusting jobs that doesn't deal directly with feces or vomit.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Well, they definitely pay better, out of the gate -- and arguably your employee meal perks are "better" than what you'd get at most of the alternatives.

But I think in terms of covid-era restaurant employment -- they also have the option of about half of their staff working outside.

Hilariously, I don't eat chicken, so I haven't been there in an age even if I was so inclined, but that's a good point too. I haven't noticed the Portillos losing people either, and they have a small fleet of people who take your order/money and give you your food without actually taking to anyone inside (they started doing this during covid,) it's rather fascinating to watch. 😁

• Like 1