IGNORED

Whats your job?

Nes Freak

Graphics Team · Posted
5 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

As a HUGE Looney Tunes fan I'm so excited to see the look of this reboot.  But if I don't see a Duck Dodgers episode you may or may not receive some unwanted ranting and raving.  

tumblr_phm6cl5iMR1wks6iyo1_540.gifv

Haha sorry dude, but this reboot is based on the pre-Chuck Jones Looney Tunes era. It's all Goofball proto-Daffy.

-CasualCart

• Eyeroll 1

Social Team · Posted
On 3/22/2021 at 6:02 PM, CasualCart said:

Haha sorry dude, but this reboot is based on the pre-Chuck Jones Looney Tunes era. It's all Goofball proto-Daffy.

-CasualCart

I remember cartoons like that with Elmer Fud.  I still am partial to the cocky/arrogant Daffy Duck.  But there is a thin line where he can come off as an ass which I'm not a fan of.  Either way this reboot looks like a legit good Looney Toons. 

Edited by FireHazard51
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 5:35 PM, RH said:

The oddest professional language I've had to use was PERL. Not my choice, but it was a fun experience.

And old-guy-programmer I know professionally has a 90's (maybe 80's) era poster in his cube with a left panel showing a pig in lipstick labeled as "C" and a right panel showing a model in makeup labeled as "PERL".

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

And old-guy-programmer I know professionally has a 90's (maybe 80's) era poster in his cube with a left panel showing a pig in lipstick labeled as "C" and a right panel showing a model in makeup labeled as "PERL".

I wouldn't mind owning that poster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

What kind of training if you don't mind me asking. 

dyslexia literacy instruction, assistive technology, co-teaching, inclusive practices... I also help with things like the state's technology plan, and revising the alternative assessments for special education.

• Like 2

Social Team · Posted
7 hours ago, Link said:

911 operator

Great, I need an extra large cheese pizza delivered ASAP.

I've seen the statistics and heard the recordings of crazy phone calls.  I'd love to hear some of your stories where you remind the caller that they called 911.  I've personally only done it a small handful of times and it was always "just want make sure you got a call about the burning car on the interstate."  In college we studied the effect where if you know multiple people know about an emergency, they all believe someone else will do something about it so no one does anything.  

2 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

Great, I need an extra large cheese pizza delivered ASAP.

I've seen the statistics and heard the recordings of crazy phone calls.  I'd love to hear some of your stories where you remind the caller that they called 911.  I've personally only done it a small handful of times and it was always "just want make sure you got a call about the burning car on the interstate."  In college we studied the effect where if you know multiple people know about an emergency, they all believe someone else will do something about it so no one does anything.  

This has been my experience.  I've only called 911 for incidences on the road that I had observed and it's always been for the reason you mentioned--you assume someone else will call.

On 3/26/2021 at 7:53 AM, FireHazard51 said:

In college we studied the effect where if you know multiple people know about an emergency, they all believe someone else will do something about it so no one does anything.  

I think the lesson of the Kitty Genovese story has been pretty well learned now. As with the modern slogan “If you see something, say something.” 

On 3/26/2021 at 7:53 AM, FireHazard51 said:

I'd love to hear some of your stories where you remind the caller that they called 911.

Aside from people in offices, schools, or hospitals who have dialed incorrectly, no one seems to need reminding. Rather, lots of people lead with stories of “I did this first and ‘they’ told me...” “It’s not an emergency, but...”

I've worked as a Dishwasher since 2011, been yelled at, looked down upon, been everyone's slave, cut my hands/fingers (no matter how careful I am), and put up with literally nobody appreciating my hard work. Luckily I'm only 160 lbs, eat lots of fruit, drink water, and am fairly strong, so I've been able to handle the stress of this job for the last ten years or so.

I've also recorded, edited, and uploaded videos onto YouTube since 2006, which is a hobby and not an actual paying job. But it is still very stressful and time-consuming like a job.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

I've worked as a Dishwasher since 2011, been yelled at, looked down upon, been everyone's slave, cut my hands/fingers (no matter how careful I am), and put up with literally nobody appreciating my hard work. Luckily I'm only 160 lbs, eat lots of fruit, drink water, and am fairly strong, so I've been able to handle the stress of this job for the last ten years or so.

I've also recorded, edited, and uploaded videos onto YouTube since 2006, which is a hobby and not an actual paying job. But it is still very stressful and time-consuming like a job.

As a chef, I super appreciate a ball busting, hard nosed dishwasher. You ever tried moving into cooking?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

As a chef, I super appreciate a ball busting, hard nosed dishwasher. You ever tried moving into cooking?

No. I don't talk much in real life (though I always communicate with my coworkers when they need something from me, since that's part of the job), so other restaurant jobs aren't for me. I'm not even offended by the lack of appreciation, since I'm used to it and staying healthy allows me to handle the stress. Still, it's nice to know that there are Chefs out there that appreciate the Dishwashers.

2 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

No. I don't talk much in real life (though I always communicate with my coworkers when they need something from me, since that's part of the job), so other restaurant jobs aren't for me. I'm not even offended by the lack of appreciation, since I'm used to it and staying healthy allows me to handle the stress. Still, it's nice to know that there are Chefs out there that appreciate the Dishwashers.

Just remember that restaurant jobs are literally a dime a dozen right now, dishwashers included. If you aren't feeling appreciated, you would find a new job in a matter of hours. You can look into healthcare/corporate catering also to find a spot that locks you into actual benefits like retirement, healthcare, paid time off, etc. that many restaurants are simply unable, or simply don't want to do. 

Keep up the good work, and don't take shit from anybody. This industry loves to give people shit, as a 10 year restaurant veteran like yourself knows!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Just remember that restaurant jobs are literally a dime a dozen right now, dishwashers included. If you aren't feeling appreciated, you would find a new job in a matter of hours. You can look into healthcare/corporate catering also to find a spot that locks you into actual benefits like retirement, healthcare, paid time off, etc. that many restaurants are simply unable, or simply don't want to do. 

Keep up the good work, and don't take shit from anybody. This industry loves to give people shit, as a 10 year restaurant veteran like yourself knows!

I thought restaurants were still having demand issues. And I thought a bunch of smaller places permanently closed. Are there really a lot of restaurant service jobs like that available?

1 hour ago, Californication said:

I thought restaurants were still having demand issues. And I thought a bunch of smaller places permanently closed. Are there really a lot of restaurant service jobs like that available?

Walk into a restaurant and find out. I've worked 3 or 4 jobs most of my 20s and 1 was always at a restaurant. If you're a hard worker and reliable a good chef or owner will give you hours and be thankful for work you put in. 

Mostly bc the restaurant industry is plagued with unreliable addicts of some sort. I became good friends with a chef / owner of the last one I worked at and I know now much of a nightmare is always was for him to find reliable, stable help 

23 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Walk into a restaurant and find out. I've worked 3 or 4 jobs most of my 20s and 1 was always at a restaurant. If you're a hard worker and reliable a good chef or owner will give you hours and be thankful for work you put in. 

Mostly bc the restaurant industry is plagued with unreliable addicts of some sort. I became good friends with a chef / owner of the last one I worked at and I know now much of a nightmare is always was for him to find reliable, stable help 

I'm not in the restaurant industry -just curious. I have two friends that were chefs who said alcohal and drugs were common as well. I am just wondering if what kguillete said is true in the current economy. I have no knowledge on the subject I just assumed there wouldn't be enough service jobs availabe for people right now.

2 hours ago, Californication said:

Way more of a demand for help than sales. Sub shops, take out, breakfast diners, upscale casual, ethnic foods, everything looking for help. It may be different in california if local laws have kept businesses closed, but around here, there are more restaurants closing or reducing their hours because of lack of workers. The rise of door dash and grubhub changed the game.

29 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Way more of a demand for help than sales. Sub shops, take out, breakfast diners, upscale casual, ethnic foods, everything looking for help. It may be different in california if local laws have kept businesses closed, but around here, there are more restaurants closing or reducing their hours because of lack of workers. The rise of door dash and grubhub changed the game.

Good to hear there are jobs available. I'd be surprised if the gig jobs can compete with a regular full time job.

I think they opened San Diego indoor dining recently, but at 25% capacity.

Hopefully, the workers will return as more younger people are able to get the vaccine.