IGNORED

Does anyone like me predict PlayStation 3 will be high demand for collecting I have been collecting PS3 since PS4 came out?

Joyomofrobro

I am so happy with my line-up of games in picture collected so far for the PlayStation 3 system I included an attached photo. Still looking for more PS3 searching for certain titles. Wondering if anyone would say PS3 will have more value someday. I found it was not that expensive to collect after the PS4 released and now got all these games, that's about the time I started my collecting of PS3 titles. I one day hope to find a PS2 'VGA' hook-up with audio my T.V. that's older has PC setting and I know it would work. I like my T.V. can still display 480p. PS2 games and PS1 have high prices in most cases compared to PS3 I noticed but I figure the times will change for that system in the future price wise. Maybe someone would disagree?

PS3-JOSEPH.jpg

• Like 2

Social Team · Posted
On 2/15/2021 at 10:45 PM, Nintegageo said:

I actually think the PS3 is the cutoff generation to collecting, just because it started the whole 'download 1/2 a game' trend we see in games now. As per usual, Nintendo doesn't count as they are always collectible as a company.

This is a good reason to collect the "complete editions"/"all DLC included".  Those late releases will be playable with no PSN to download patches.  I still think the system will be collectable but like @Glovessaid, it'll be for only certain games.  You're not going to find many who collect the whole system so many games will not be as sought after and remain dirt cheap.  Any game with a good/great story that wasn't mass produced to hell should retain value.  Any "online" game will be worthless though.  Also if the game was released on PS4 as a physical copy I think that will tank the price of the PS3 version.  So some of your games will suffer because of this.  Other games you have there look to be good ones to keep a hold of.

I'd say 5-10 more years and PS3 games will start to peak in value.  I also think PS3 games will be worth more than Xbox 360 games too, but that could be my bias for PS over Xbox.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, croagunk said:

Nice collection! I think as time passes, PS3 games will gain value. PS3 and Xbox 360 games are kind of in the same boat right now in terms of value. I do believe that will change in the future, just not sure how much.

6 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

This is a good reason to collect the "complete editions"/"all DLC included".  Those late releases will be playable with no PSN to download patches.  I still think the system will be collectable but like @Glovessaid, it'll be for only certain games.  You're not going to find many who collect the whole system so many games will not be as sought after and remain dirt cheap.  Any game with a good/great story that wasn't mass produced to hell should retain value.  Any "online" game will be worthless though.  Also if the game was released on PS4 as a physical copy I think that will tank the price of the PS3 version.  So some of your games will suffer because of this.  Other games you have there look to be good ones to keep a hold of.

I'd say 5-10 more years and PS3 games will start to peak in value.  I also think PS3 games will be worth more than Xbox 360 games too, but that could be my bias for PS over Xbox.

I think you're both right for two reasons:

1. Playstation brand is more valuable than Xbox right now
  2. Regarding NA, 3rd party games generally sold worse on PS3, so there are fewer copies available

Which is hilarious because almost every multiplatform game runs better on 360, so people would be shelling out more money for the worst version of a game. But them's the breaks.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I will have to side with Nintegageo there.  I think the PS3 is kind of a hard cut off where people just won't bother.  Sure there are some really desirable games, but face it, there are things, many, working against it.

Quite a few of the games got released in beta format in all fairness, just broken, buggy, unfinished.  Depending how bad, quite a few had 0day patches, others had the 'oh crap' moment where you had fix or fixes within the first few days to a week.  That stuff will be collection fodder exclusively for those who run hacked systems or just want stuff to stare at a shelf saying I own it.

The other large point against it, PC, that era was the realm in which almost all third parties started finally treating the PC like another console, so through Steam(sometimes GoG too) the games got dual releases on the computer too.  They looked, played, ran far better, and you don't have a walled garden effect either.  Sony is slightly less effected by it because the PS3 and the PS4 too had some exclusives, generally those first/second party titles were far nicer on PS3 anyway so that's a point.  But MS since the 360 has basically dual-released their exclusives on PC since they own Windows anyway, so why not?  Sony said this generation they may do the same, looking into it, to get more profit.

So really, I think outside of Nintendo due to their strange unique formats and multiple unique releases that won't touch another format, ever, if they're not forced into it, have a unique place where they can remain collectible.  The others, the PS2/GC/XB era is really strongly it for collecting purposes as the games work out of the box.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted

One thing I think makes PS3 collecting around the time where at least full-set collectors might not care so hard is that there are at least a few "coasters" - games that literally do not function AT ALL anymore. OP ( @Joyomofrobro )has one in their photo:

image.png

Square no longer supports FFXIV on PS3 - you literally cannot play it at all.

Same goes with actually one of my favorite FPSes of the console - MAG. Both of these games were online-only, making the discs entirely useless.

Granted, they're not rare by any stretch, but when you start looking at, for instance, the expansion packs released for FFXIV prior to their stopping support for it, maybe those ARE a bit rare. There are CE's for them, too, with statues and the whole shebang. Good luck with those, and again - they're all COASTERS.

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's starting to become a real hassle to buy physical media. There are great games being released physically but in limited quantities directly from distributors and publishers. I have no idea what PS5-onwards is going to look like, but it is totally going to suck buying used games for PS4 and Switch in years to come. Before games even come out from LGR, 8bit, the company with the dog from the Disney cartoon as their logo, etc., their values are boosted.

The collector culture which has grown around games will most likely sustain prices longer. It used to be a game that was holding steady in the $25-50 area would be the expensive, hard-to-get games in twenty years. I find it hard to believe that these collector-oriented gamers are suddenly going to fire sale their bins of sealed LGRs or direct sales from Square, Inin, Natsume, or other pubs.

• Like 1

I guess I’m in the minority here, I don’t believe the PS3 (or the 360) will ever see an extreme price hike. Even the PS2, despite having a few $500+ games, still has tons of cheap ones. It’ll be the same or worse for PS3, a select few expensive games and the rest staying at rock bottom. 

PS3 prices have already grown quite a bit since I started collecting them back in 2019. I'm at a little over 300 games for the console and have pretty much everything I'm after, including I think every single JRPG and horror game. Only big game I'm missing is Syberia but I don't think that'll happen. Lots of these games you could get for $10-$20 and have doubled+ in the past 6 months. 

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
17 minutes ago, A_Feisty_Pickle said:

PS3 prices have already grown quite a bit since I started collecting them back in 2019. I'm at a little over 300 games for the console and have pretty much everything I'm after, including I think every single JRPG and horror game. Only big game I'm missing is Syberia but I don't think that'll happen. Lots of these games you could get for $10-$20 and have doubled+ in the past 6 months. 

Think there is a Covid bubble.  It's too early for PS3 prices to be doubling.  I do believe PS3 prices will have either finally bottomed out or will do so in 2021/2022.  Then it will have a slow climb.  Over all @MrWunderfulhas hit the nail on the head and that less than 1% of games will be valued over MSRP when CIB.  If they are still sealed then the rate will be higher but not much over 1%.  No one is going to get "rich" off of PS3 games like some have with NES games.  But if you buy games at $5-$10 bucks and they go for $20-$50 bucks a decade or two later then that isn't too bad of deal.  No so if you bought the games as MSRP when they were first released.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2021 at 8:35 PM, Joyomofrobro said:

I am so happy with my line-up of games in picture collected so far for the PlayStation 3 system I included an attached photo. Still looking for more PS3 searching for certain titles. Wondering if anyone would say PS3 will have more value someday. I found it was not that expensive to collect after the PS4 released and now got all these games, that's about the time I started my collecting of PS3 titles. I one day hope to find a PS2 'VGA' hook-up with audio my T.V. that's older has PC setting and I know it would work. I like my T.V. can still display 480p. PS2 games and PS1 have high prices in most cases compared to PS3 I noticed but I figure the times will change for that system in the future price wise. Maybe someone would disagree?

PS3-JOSEPH.jpg

I like how a lot of these titles have 3x in price since this was posted 2 months ago. 

• Wow! 1

PS3 will undoubtedly go up greatly in prices. It was a generation of some really bonkers titles and there some great IPs that started here like Uncharted.

I also don't believe it will be the last collectable era. We're speedily moving towards an all digital future with subscription streaming outside of niche physical releases. All media disks will have a quaint collectability one day, with premiums for rare or significant titles.

Whether this is within our lifetime is another issue entirely, but even with prices being where they are, speculators will begin to move into any cheap, fertile areas looking to strike first on the next big thing.

For the sake of full disclosure, I sold two graded PS3 games for 5K just two weeks ago, non CEs. When you have money and grow up with these games, that's all it takes.

Edited by Startyde
  • Wow! 1