IGNORED

Please Post All Your NES Date Codes

Here are the date codes for my boxed games.

• Adventure Island - no dates (tabs were ripped off)
  • Bandai Golf - 81217 (manual), no box date
  • Battle Tank - 20703 (manual), no box date
  • Blades of Steel - no manual, 00305 (box)
  • Captain Skyhawk - 00710 (manual), 00717 (box)
  • Dr. Mario - 00806 (manual), 00815, (box)
  • Hogan's Alley - no dates (no manual)
  • Kings of the Beach - no manual, 00320 (box)
  • Milon's Secret Castle - 90118 (manual), 90117 (box)
  • Mission: Impossible - no manual, 00718 (box)
  • Pac-Man (Tengen) - no dates
  • Rollergames - 00821 (manual), 00820 (box)
  • Sky Shark - no manual date, 90728 (box)
  • Star Soldier - no manual date, 81206 (box)
  • Tetris - 90824 (manual), 90905 (box)
  • Tetris 2 - 30823 (manual), 30823 (box)
  • Top Gun: Second Mission - 00306 (manual), 00308 (box)
  • Top Players' Tennis - 00409 (manual), no box date
  • Wizards and Warriors - no dates
  • Like 1

Here's a crap ton of Zelda 1&2 datecodes. The boxes don't have them, so they are mostly carts (most of which were from ebay), as well as a couple manuals. Let me know if you need help deciphering my naming scheme for variants.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9o5ynly31p19fa/NESZeldaDatecodes.zip?dl=0

• Love 1

On 2/13/2021 at 1:22 PM, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Here's a crap ton of Zelda 1&2 datecodes. The boxes don't have them, so they are mostly carts (most of which were from ebay), as well as a couple manuals. Let me know if you need help deciphering my naming scheme for variants.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9o5ynly31p19fa/NESZeldaDatecodes.zip?dl=0

Awesome! I see you have multiple of the same name but different numbers after them. Are they the same or are they variants of the same name?

1 minute ago, Code Monkey said:

No trading, they will all be posted publicly for free. If you post them here, I will be putting them all onto one website.

I’m fine with the list going public but just saying, if I give you my list how long are you going to hold onto all the info before posting publically?

21 hours ago, Divingninja said:

I’m fine with the list going public but just saying, if I give you my list how long are you going to hold onto all the info before posting publically?

I'm currently posting everything onto a live website you can visit, I just haven't given out the URL yet. As long as it takes me to enter all of the insert codes and date codes, maybe a month.

• Love 1

Just a note - many GB/GBC/GBA games have these codes too. Most (though not all) y-fold boxes have them; no double-ended boxes seem to. Many printed-in-Japan manuals have them too (I think y-fold boxes were also made in Japan, FWIW). I'm not sure about SNES or N64. Are you interested in tracking those too? I've been tracking the Pokemon numbers I can find (my own, and ones visible in eBay listing photos or that eBay sellers are willing to send me) for my Pokemon variant DB.

At some point they switched to YYMMDD format; all Pokemon dates I've seen are in that format.

OK IC wizards. I have these date codes from Famicom Box Donkey Kong and am trying to determine the format. Maybe YWW and the last digit is something else like a lot number?

img%5D

Other random Famicom Box PRG and CHR date codes (unsure what games): 7101 and 7301, 7401 and 7101. Also there’s a Golf with 8614 and 8704 which is easier to parse.

Edited by DefaultGen

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

OK IC wizards. I have these date codes from Famicom Box Donkey Kong and am trying to determine the format. Maybe YWW and the last digit is something else like a lot number?

img%5D

Other random Famicom Box PRG and CHR date codes (unsure what games): 7101 and 7301, 7401 and 7101. Also there’s a Golf with 8614 and 8704 which is easier to parse.

According to bootgod, the format is YM__ where M is 1-9 then X, Y, and Z (so 7401 would be April 1987 and 4Y13 would be November 1984).

My method is to lookup the chip's part number (in the case of the PRG chip above it would be "M38128A") in bootgod by selecting "Part#, Chip Type" in the quick search. That will pull up some examples that show which date code digits are relevant and what the Std date code is (given in YYWW). After looking at a couple, most times you can figure out the pattern (unless it's that stupid bar pattern which took forever to figure out).

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

According to bootgod, the format is YM__ where M is 1-9 then X, Y, and Z (so 7401 would be April 1987 and 4Y13 would be November 1984).

My method is to lookup the chip's part number (in the case of the PRG chip above it would be "M38128A") in bootgod by selecting "Part#, Chip Type" in the quick search. That will pull up some examples that show which date code digits are relevant and what the Std date code is (given in YYWW). After looking at a couple, most times you can figure out the pattern (unless it's that stupid bar pattern which took forever to figure out).

I was doing exactly this but I was using a Google and site:bootgod. I trusted Google more than Bootgod. Shame on me.

• Like 2

Here are some PCB date codes from 5-screw Zeldas for science. The top two are mine and came with TM boxes and cassette manuals for the record. although I can't really say if they're correctly paired.

It's interesting my initial instinct was to look at the PRG ROM dates, but DEAFC0DE looks at the most recent date on any chip, which makes more sense in determining the oldest time the production could possibly be. The third PCB also has both the oldest and newest dates of any of the four. I wonder if anyone is going to care about any of this stuff.

IkPGnl7.png

dIxMCrO.png

a2owLr0.jpg

kQKCt4l.png

MP02d4b.png

Edited by DefaultGen

7 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Here are some PCB date codes from 5-screw Zeldas for science. The top two are mine and came with TM boxes and cassette manuals for the record. although I can't really say if they're correctly paired.

It's interesting my initial instinct was to look at the PRG ROM dates, but DEAFC0DE looks at the most recent date on any chip, which makes more sense in determining the oldest time the production could possibly be. The third PCB also has both the oldest and newest dates of any of the four. I wonder if anyone is going to care about any of this stuff.

IkPGnl7.png

dIxMCrO.png

a2owLr0.jpg

kQKCt4l.png

MP02d4b.png

I see you've replaced two of those batteries... THOSE GAMES ARE NOT ORIGINAL ANYMORE!!!!  Scammer alert!  Gloves!?!   Where are you?  GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOVES!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Nesmaster said:

Mega Man 2: 90403
Mega Man 2 Stripeless: 20311
Mega Man 2 with star code manual: 00323

That last one is from ebay a bit ago, so I can't get the manual or cart dates. I'll check the first two as those are mine.

mm2.png

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Stripeless! Wow, that was a late release, thanks. The SNES was already out at that point.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 12:58 PM, Nesmaster said:

Mega Man 2: 90403
Mega Man 2 Stripeless: 20311
Mega Man 2 with star code manual: 00323

Mega Man 2 manual: 90404 
Mega Man 2 Stripeless manual (USA-1): 20306

The manual date was printed on the inside cover backwards for MM2. See pic. Boards below:

DSC_0239.JPG

DSC_0240.JPG

DSC_0238.JPG

I had an extra manual I also checked, XR-USA, same date and error/location. An extra box yielded 00119, so probably from the XR-USA* release.

Edited by Nesmaster
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 2:23 PM, Code Monkey said:

Stripeless! Wow, that was a late release, thanks. The SNES was already out at that point.

Capcom didn't get on board with the red stripe until very late in the game.  I know their last release, Chip & Dale 2, has the stripe, but I don't think I own another purple border Capcom game with one present.  Konami was really bad for that too, with Tournament Fighters (also their last release and also a '94 release) being the only one in my collection...

14 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Capcom didn't get on board with the red stripe until very late in the game.  I know their last release, Chip & Dale 2, has the stripe, but I don't think I own another purple border Capcom game with one present.  Konami was really bad for that too, with Tournament Fighters (also their last release and also a '94 release) being the only one in my collection...

Hey Morbis, we're referring to the rebate stripe:

IMG_3396_zps4r0f05mp.thumb.jpg.ba7f6488a39dbd80c62e86b3499506c4.jpg

You can find similar for DuckTales and Rescue Rangers, not aware of others.

• Like 1