IGNORED

Remove plastic wrap on opened game?

RalliArtEvo

I searched through the forum and didn't see anything about this question, so thought I'd ask. 

I have a bunch of SNES game boxes that have the original plastic, but are "opened". I'm sure most of you understand what I'm referring to, typically someone cuts an opening on one end of the plastic so they can remove the game/inserts. I have some very valuable games that are in this condition. I do not plan on grading them, but I do have acrylic cases that I display them in. I've been thinking of removing the plastic wrap as imo it makes the box art not stand out as well. These are MINT boxes and are in acrylic cases, so they are very well protected. Is there any reason I should/should not remove the plastic wrap? 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

There is only 1 reason not to remove it: If you plan to sell them.

Otherwise, if they're yours and yours forever (as far as anyone can plan anyway) then I'd say it's up to you. If you, like me, are collecting the boxes etc. for aesthetics in your home, then it's YOUR games in YOUR collection, so fuck the opinions of others.

As far as protection, it WOULD protect against dust etc., but that's not such an issue w/ the acrylic cases, so I'd say you're good.

13 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I used to take it off because it’s ugly and inconsistent on my shelves, but with prices on near mint stuff on the rise I leave it now (and open my boxes like this too). People put a premium on games with OCD cello even if I don’t really, and I’m mostly a victim of peer pressure.

You can say you're essentially...reserving your investments.

Also, a box aint 100%+ cib without the Cello.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ahhhhh, the eternal question. When I first got into collecting, I always removed the plastic wrap. However, I've come to appreciate it as its own little box protector. I don't plan to resell anything I own, but having the plastic on does provide a huge bump in value since it protects the box and signifies the game was probably well taken care of.

But as others have said, just do whatever makes you happy.

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I used to take it off because it’s ugly and inconsistent on my shelves, but with prices on near mint stuff on the rise I leave it now (and open my boxes like this too). People put a premium on games with OCD cello even if I don’t really, and I’m mostly a victim of peer pressure.

Literally me.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Ahhhhh, the eternal question. When I first got into collecting, I always removed the plastic wrap. However, I've come to appreciate it as its own little box protector. I don't plan to resell anything I own, but having the plastic on does provide a huge bump in value since it protects the box and signifies the game was probably well taken care of.

But as others have said, just do whatever makes you happy.

The problem is I don't know which will make me "happier"! LoL I tend to way overthink things and end up stuck on making a decision.

On one hand, the chances of me selling any of my collection is probably close to zero. I already struggle to get motivated to move my doubles, triples etc! haha

On the other hand, the games I'm considering removing the plastic from are high end showpieces. Protection isn't a concern since they are in acrylic cases and I think they'd definitely display better without the wrap. 

The stupid stuff that us collectors stress about! 😄

• Like 2

It's been a while since I removed the cello from a game, but IIRC, original Nintendo shrinkwrap slides off (and back on) easily as it does not seem to be as affected by shrinking (which aftermarket/third party shrinkwrap tends to be).

In other words, removing the cello and storing it separately (possibly over other, non-displayed game boxes) would allow you to display those SNES games without cello while retaining the option to put the cello back on if you were to sell in the future.

5 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

When I first got into collecting, I always removed the plastic wrap. However, I've come to appreciate it as its own little box protector. I don't plan to resell anything I own, but having the plastic on does provide a huge bump in value since it protects the box and signifies the game was probably well taken care of.

Glad to see you've finally seen the light.😁

5 hours ago, RalliArtEvo said:

The problem is I don't know which will make me "happier"! LoL I tend to way overthink things and end up stuck on making a decision.

On one hand, the chances of me selling any of my collection is probably close to zero. I already struggle to get motivated to move my doubles, triples etc! haha

On the other hand, the games I'm considering removing the plastic from are high end showpieces. Protection isn't a concern since they are in acrylic cases and I think they'd definitely display better without the wrap. 

The stupid stuff that us collectors stress about! 😄

Well you can always take it off later if you leave it for now. If you take it off now, it will be a huge pain in the ass to get it back on later.

I think of it like the inside bag. Do you keep the inner baggies for you games? I sure do but what purpose do they serve really? Protect the cart from dust if anything sneaks in an already closed box?

Cello is same way for me. It does protect but if you're in an acrylic case then that doesn't matter. The cello and the original baggie came from factory and you may as well leave it there. If your remove one then I can't see how you'd justify the other.

While yes someone could be very careful and transplant it, odds are it would also be a give away if the soon to be re-wrapped yet open game had even the slightest mark under the wrap.  Personally when I've had a game come that way I left it, it's a free shield against dust and rubs, anything that would scuff it up because it is a barrier after all so why not?

I used to think it was stupid to keep it on but my recent submission to Wata has made me think otherwise. I had some boxes that I thought would grade a 9.8 and they came back a 7.5. I couldn't explain it but someone more knowledgeable with grading told me it's likely due to little scuff marks on the box that can only be seen with a magnifying glass.

I questioned why my one sealed game I submitted got a 9.4 when it arguably wasn't in better condition but the explanation is that game was protected from scuffs by the cellophane and my non-sealed game was scuffed up from not having cellophane.

I would recommend always leaving it on so that the game may grade higher should you or any future owner choose to grade it.

• Like 1