IGNORED

Spectrum Internet Lies

phart010

I just signed up for a promotional deal for Spectrum  internet: $44.99 per month for 24 months.

When I was with a previous service provider, they used to tell you the date when your promotional price would expire right on the bill. Well my first Spectrum bill came in and it doesn’t say anything about how long the promo pricing is good for, so I decided to call them just to verify.

The lady I spoke with got very defensive when I asked about the term of my promotion. She said the promotional price is $44.99 for the first 12 months and then the discount decreases after that... so I asked what the second year pricing is and she said they will not know until 4 month before the new rate takes effect.

I became a bit more assertive to get answers and she said she thinks it will probably go to something around $59.99 which Im assuming is just normal non-promotional pricing levels. They don’t do contracts, you can cancel at any time... so why not just advertise the promotion as 12 month pricing?

Why do companies find it necessary to lie to us? I would have been perfectly fine signing up for 12 months at that rate, but the fact they tried bait me in with 24 months and then come to find out it’s actually only 12 months just leaves me feeling disgusted with Spectrum. 

I am disappointed with Spectrum for being a dishonest company.

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Yeah, we switched to AT&T about a year or two ago after being a Charter/Spectrum costumer for many years. Spectrum would regularly try to up the prices on us, so we'd have to routinely call them and bitch at them so they would keep the prices the same.

had the same problem with a local company under the Comcast umbrella. 

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted

Sometimes you get a shitty rep too. They're short with you and often provide confusing and inaccurate info. When I get into those situations I'll often call back, being extra polite, and ask them to clarify what the last person said. Often the first person is incorrect, or in some cases I ask for special consideration as I believe I was mislead/misinformed. You'd be surprised how often they try to do something extra for you when you approach them like that. 

Cool off and call them back, the worst they can say is no...

• Like 1

I've had my issues for some years, and in the end, I got one over on AT&T quite nicely. 😉

I had InsightBB when I lived here the first time, and for a bit after I came back, but then they were bought out by the cancer known as time warner.  They let the already aging lines/boxes rot despite promises on merger to correct that.  Eventually they decided it would be in their interest to try and screw with me and my job since I work from home.  I had outages that would increase and eventually fed up I called for repair when it just outright died, they told me since I wasn't paying for a business line officially and that they were busy, that they'd get back to me in a couple of days.  I argued, they stood their ground, and I hung up on them, called AT&T(uverse) and 2 days turned into 2 hours.  Another 2 hours after that when I was off, one trash bag, and my snappy attitude demanding a receipt shocked the counter rep manager at their store.  They tried to talk me out of it, already said I switched to their surprise.  I said you told me two days, I was back up in two hours, now can I have my receipt. 😄

ATT didn't last persay.  A couple years later they bought out direct TV, and wanted to move everyone to that shaky dish that dies with so much as a spark in the sky miles out or a fart in the wind.  I had the choice of a $225 bill or to remain at 1/2 that locked in for 2 years...I took the dish (ugh.)  2 years after I was ready for it looking 6mo before hand researching a lot. They refused to try and do retention, it was going to be 225 anyway for a landline I loathed(99.9% spam/scam calls so I muted the phone) and a lot of TV I didn't want to keep it at that rate.

I found out in town from the att repair tech as I had an issue, that iglou in town, he was their tech too, att permanently leased out ownership to them of the same lines, therefore same tech.  They gave uncapped internet for $60/mo.  I used that info against att.  I canceled all my service but net, threatened to cut them off entirely if they didn't match iglou using their own lines.  At first they weren't cooperative, but I asked them to verify my story, waited a bit on hold, and I've been paying $60/flat with taxes rolled in since. 😄

Spectrum in is my area now, they're a-holes here too, see nothing but hate stories about how they suck from people who put up with their bs, so it's not just your local stuff.  They used to be the scum known as comcast, but their rep was so awful, instead of improving, they renamed.

• Like 1

I know someone that had a similar issue with Spectrum like six months ago. They called spectrum for internet, they got upsold to include cable. After two months I believe the price went from $40ish to $100ish. They spent hours on the phone, talked to multiple people before a manager removed telhe cable, gave them just the internet with the previous months payments reducing future months balances.

Hated Time Warner Cable.  Hate em now as Spectrum. 

When we first moved into our house I kicked a Time Warner tech out after they showed up late with a bad attitude and without the tools she needed.  Just waltzed right in and without even asking plugged laptop in with out even asking just to charge it. Kindly get the fuck out of my house.

At least around here, with Spectrum, not only is the rate after the first 12 months in the fine print, but also language to the effect of you owing them the difference between the normal rate (year 2+) and the discounted rate if you cancel after the promo pricing expires.  So, in essence, your actual pricing per month is halfway between the discounted and normal pricing, since you're agreeing to be on the hook for the whole term even if they can't stop you from switching providers.  The fact that they "can't" tell you what their normal pricing is/will be at the end of your discounted term sets off all sorts of alarm bells in my mind since they can do exactly that in VA and TN and publish their promotions that way.

Gosh yes, Efff Spectrum!! Same boat as well. I remember after the 12 months was up and seeing a jump up in $25 a month. Unfortunately, it is still cheaper than Verizon, so I am stuck with them for now as there is only Spectrum and Verizon in my area. Right now paying $107 including all fees a month for internet and cable TV with them as well as unlimited Wifi and hotspot.