IGNORED

Game Debate #20: Minecraft

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

36 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but I'm interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

Yes, I gave it an 8, but to be honest, I've not played this game in 6 to 7 years.  Even with it's super-simplistic graphics the, execution of this concept was amazing.  I loved the procedurally generated, vast and open world that you could explore and build within.  Notch was an amazing developer and visionary.

I hate what the game has become. I could have possibly given it a 10 back when it was in beta.  In fact, I bought it a week after it went from alpha to beta, so that's when I was into this game.  This was a tough one to score due to what it's become, but so long as the core of the gameplay is still the same for single player, I think it deserves at least a 10.

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, Gloves said:

I can't fucking stand this stupid fucking trend:

image.png

Thanks a lot, Markiplier.

not sure what u mean......i don't watch Minecraft on YouTube's anymore.....but.....its a good game.  If you are talking modded minecraft then it's a 10, base game haven't decided yet.....love Minecraft and I play in spurts.

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Jeevan said:

not sure what u mean......i don't watch Minecraft on YouTube's anymore.....but.....its a good game.  If you are talking modded minecraft then it's a 10, base game haven't decided yet.....love Minecraft and I play in spurts.

Not really a minecraft thing specifically, just people making their YT thumbnails with their stupid 😮 face.

Youtube thumbs like this are aimed at kids cuz they get a kick out of it; call me old but it's super cringe. I referenced Markiplier because he's easily the most prolific use case:

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png  

It goes oooon and ooooon. Others emulate him because he's incredibly successful:

image.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, SuperJimtendo said:

Dunno about how all that works. We play on the switch and don't currently have home internet but sounds awesome.

stupid switch 🤣.  it's for pc Minecraft.  wish it was cross platform...... I guess i should ask before I invite.  sorry......wish u and ur kid could come.  they have a trick or treat game they are thinking up.  building town and streets right now.  doing all the Redstone etc.

• Wow! 1

I put 10, I've probably put 100s of hours into it since it was released over a number of spurts, mostly going hard around beta. I never got super deep into actually understanding the game, I just like digging holes and building boxy buildings. Super relaxing.

Jeevan's server is on Java so I can't play with my controller from bed 😭

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

stupid switch 🤣.  it's for pc Minecraft.  wish it was cross platform...... I guess i should ask before I invite.  sorry......wish u and ur kid could come.  they have a trick or treat game they are thinking up.  building town and streets right now.  doing all the Redstone etc.

If ONLY there was a version that supported cross-platform PC, Android, iOS, Switch, Xbox One, PS4, Gear VR, and Fire TV sticks. I guess it will remain locked to Windows forever 😞 

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Actually, it is cross platform.  There are currently two versions of Minecraft in development (previously four), both available for PC.  The one you're referring to as "PC Minecraft" is Java Edition, which, unfortunately, is still currently restricted to personal computers (of whatever flavor OS).  The other is called "Bedrock Edition" and is cross platform on everything from phones to XBONE/PS4.  Java is vastly superior to Bedrock, hence it's the one that I play, although I did start out on console (formerly "Console Edition," seriously), then tinkered with the iOS version when it was on deep discount (formerly "Pocket Edition") before plunking down cash for a second copy of Java (so I could get my original one back from my wife).

49 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Jeevan's server is on Java so I can't play with my controller from bed 😭

Actually you can, it's just not supported locally.  I can't remember what the name of the mod/add-on is called, but you have to install Forge (a mod framework) locally, then install the bit that inserts a controller interface.  Once that's done and configured to your liking, you just need to make sure to pull down the tab at the "Play" screen in the launcher to select the Forge instance of the game you've created and log onto your server of choice.  Or you could be like me and invest in a decent wireless keyboard, mouse, and headset, and play wherever.  😉

• Wow! 1

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, DefaultGen said:

Only your unmodded hours count though you heathen. Creative mode doesn't count either. Work for your Minecraft!

bully!  Also, it is versatile, u can mod or play normal, I don't mind normal tho.  but I must say playing with folks is more enjoyable

I voted 9, as I think it's a great game and everybody should give it a shot at some point, although it's never just GRABBED me the way some of my GOAT choices have.

I think the folks voting "never played it, never will" must have had issues or trauma in their childhood, as it's nearly literally like playing with Lego's, just in a video game world.  No real judgement intended with that statement, just have never met anyone who didn't like playing with blocks as a kid and, subsequently, who didn't enjoy the experience of the game puttering around a bit, even if they didn't find it compelling enough to keep coming back to.  Even my curmudgeonly brother enjoys the game from time to time, and he criticizes and hates everything, hence pondering a deeper, underlying issue for the Haterade©.  Who knows, maybe I'm reading too much into that statement.

• Like 1