IGNORED

Game Debate #20: Minecraft

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

36 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but I'm interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

I voted 9, as I think it's a great game and everybody should give it a shot at some point, although it's never just GRABBED me the way some of my GOAT choices have.

I think the folks voting "never played it, never will" must have had issues or trauma in their childhood, as it's nearly literally like playing with Lego's, just in a video game world.  No real judgement intended with that statement, just have never met anyone who didn't like playing with blocks as a kid and, subsequently, who didn't enjoy the experience of the game puttering around a bit, even if they didn't find it compelling enough to keep coming back to.  Even my curmudgeonly brother enjoys the game from time to time, and he criticizes and hates everything, hence pondering a deeper, underlying issue for the Haterade©.  Who knows, maybe I'm reading too much into that statement.

Some people are cranky curmudgeons.  Not just about Minecraft, but in general 😅

Administrator · Posted

I gave this a 10 also.  I've put a ton of hours into the game, and had tons of good times.   I remember the early days of not knowing anything, walking around trying to figure out what to do, punching at some trees for a bit and learning as you go, and then it becomes night and a bunch of enemies come out and you learn to build yourself a shelter.  Then the next day, you know a bit more and build better protections.  And you expand, and explore, and just go from there.  

There's a lot of versatility with the game, and the multiplayer can be super fun, whether that is co-op with some friends, or something different.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

But what’s the game?  Is there some sort of narrative?  Do you fight people?

It's roughly a steampunk setting, as there's a lot of medieval stuff going on, but also mad-scientist type stuff possible (look up "redstone" on YouTube, scratch your head, then accept that you will likely never understand most of that unholy sorcery).  There are normal/neutral/"good" people in the game (villagers), non-neutral/"bad" people (pillagers), tons of monsters (some classic fantasy like zombies & skeletons, some not like creepers and phantoms), "people"/monsters from other dimensions (piglins, endermen), ways to visit those other dimensions, and ultimately a boss of the whole game that's a dragon (that will get you end credits if you kill, but after which you can keep playing) as well as a secret boss that you can encounter anywhere you choose once you know how.  The end "credits" give you kind of a story to it, but there's not really any big narrative linking it all together.

It's almost completely open world, with only the loosest of lore stringing the stuff together.  Unless you're playing somebody's mod, you'll generally never run into anyone/anything else in the game that looks like a person unless you're specifically playing it with other people.  You can play it in survival mode (standard, collect resources, build stuff, survive, thrive), adventure mode (someone built a world but turned off the ability for people to destroy stuff unless they specifically allow for it), hardcore mode (same as survival, but once you're dead, that's it, game over, or creative (full access to all blocks, mobs, etc., full control over the world, basically like dumping out a huge tub of Lego bricks and doing whatever your heart desires.  A lot of fun to be had, however you choose to play.

• Thanks 1

It's not really my type of game. But I do think it's an excellent game. I hate the graphics, I know they're intentionally blocky and simple but the game is ugly as all sin. But once you get past that, the game has virtually limitless creativity. I actually hated the concept for a very long time. I thought it was stupid and hated the trend of all children playing it. Once I actually gave it a try I had a fantastic week of playing it. Then I got bored.

I can definitely see the appeal. I think everyone should at least try it even if,like me, it's ultimately not for you. Incredibly influential and successful game. 9/10

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, AstralSoul said:

It's not really my type of game. But I do think it's an excellent game. I hate the graphics, I know they're intentionally blocky and simple but the game is ugly as all sin. But once you get past that, the game has virtually limitless creativity. I actually hated the concept for a very long time. I thought it was stupid and hated the trend of all children playing it. Once I actually gave it a try I had a fantastic week of playing it. Then I got bored.

I can definitely see the appeal. I think everyone should at least try it even if,like me, it's ultimately not for you. Incredibly influential and successful game. 9/10

you can get resource packs that change the look of it

12 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

I don’t think I understand what you do.  
i played some of dragon quest builders.  I’ve heard it’s similar concept?

Like others have said, not so much of a concept like DQB. I, like you, played more Dragon Quest builders first. I still prefer it to Minecraft, though I've played a lot of Minecraft lately. @SuperJimtendo I think it would be awesome if you come play with us some time, when and if you can. 🙂

• Like 3

Events Helper · Posted
7 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

Like others have said, not so much of a concept like DQB. I, like you, played more Dragon Quest builders first. I still prefer it to Minecraft, though I've played a lot of Minecraft lately. @SuperJimtendo I think it would be awesome if you come play with us some time, when and if you can. 🙂

I second this!  The join us if you can part 😉 

This goes for anybody!!!!

18 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

I think the folks voting "never played it, never will" must have had issues or trauma in their childhood, as it's nearly literally like playing with Lego's, just in a video game world. 

i loved dumping out my bin of Lego blocks and building spaceships, or pirate ships, or castles, or..... well the list goes on.

But i think the lack of appeal for me is exactly what you mentioned. i don't want to virtually play with Lego. if i want to build something, i'll do it in real life. if i want to play video games, i'll play something with a good story or good action.

not hating, it just doesn't seem like the kind of game i would enjoy. my nephew loves the hell out of the game. cool concept, seemingly good execution, just not for me.

22 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i loved dumping out my bin of Lego blocks and building spaceships, or pirate ships, or castles, or..... well the list goes on.

But i think the lack of appeal for me is exactly what you mentioned. i don't want to virtually play with Lego. if i want to build something, i'll do it in real life. if i want to play video games, i'll play something with a good story or good action.

not hating, it just doesn't seem like the kind of game i would enjoy. my nephew loves the hell out of the game. cool concept, seemingly good execution, just not for me.

Here's the thing. Lego are great for building objects and, maybe, small towns (assuming you have enough pieces for it.) Minecraft is great for exploring and building worlds.  I really have no idea just how much MS has expanded the core of the game, but back in the day, you were dropped into an open world, you had the option to turn on/off enemies and you could run around, find caves, explore, build and create.

Lego are fun, but comparing the too isn't 100% the same.  I wouldn't say it's "apples to oranges".  They are more similar than that, but with Lego, you make small things.  With Minecraft, you explore and potentially make BIG things.

I gave it a "5." I played it on my Mac about two years ago, and the first day or so I played, I enjoyed it.  But then it just got boring to me, as I was not willing to commit that much time to the little world that was generated for me.

However, I assume it can be very fun with friends on a private server.  Having others to play with and pass the time and work together may take some of the "bore" off of MineCraft for me.

And, real Legos>>>>>>>>Virtual MineCraft "Legos" always and forever!

I have more fun just building quality of life things or things I "need" than building big Lego buildings though. I need ore, so I'll build a little planned out underground mining base so I don't have to run back to my house. I need to organize my crap, so I'll build a storage chest area. I need more leather, so I'll build a cow farm, etc. I spend dozens of hours not being an architect before I ever really do some major project.

Honestly I gave it a 6 and it's pretty easy to qualify.  I never really took interest in it as it was working it's way along in earlier development, but I did in time make a mojang account and got their win/java release of it well before MS bought out the entire company/game for a heap of money.  The game itself it deserves some credit, to a point.  i don't get the addiction, and I think it is grossly lacking in resources depending on your luck of the draw in the worlds it renders making an attempt a bitch or fun, and it's random to such a point it's easily a good reason why not to rate it highly.

As a sandbox to build in, without being zombie chow, it's nice, you can waste years of your life on there and have fun with basically digital lego.  But as an actual game, it's a chore, a real slog, and a nightmare if you can't find resources.  Also, and no shock why so many books exist, if you didn't just cheat and look online, trying to make most stuff in the game is irrational and obnoxious to a fault.  The game introduced largely the whole crafting to make stuff element that has overly cursed some games since.  I'll fire up the game for some hours every year or couple years apart, get it out of my system, and that's that, as it's just clunky.  Personally, I think it was far far more fun and better well done in the 2D realm with Terraria, that one I'd put (and did) far more hours into as it's just better made and balanced.

17 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Never played it.  I have no desire to at my age.  It's one of those games where I can tell I probably would have loved it when I was younger, but at this point, I don't see myself ever playing it.  

I'm in the same group. I can see the appeal and if I still sink 100s of hours a month into video games, I'm sure this would be one of those. 

I think the franchise of Minecraft is going to be interesting going forward considering the latest release was a Diablo 2 clone. I'm interested in seeing how they can expand their brand while keeping the core mechanics and atheistics

9/10 for me. Wasn't something I was super into at the start, but as it went along and content was added, I tried it again and loved it. I still dig playing it from time to time. usually get on kicks for a while, then stop for months before picking it back up again. I'm personally the biggest fan of just exploration and adventuring.

On 10/22/2020 at 1:46 PM, Nintegageo said:

I chose the last one but honestly who knows may play it, it just doesn't interest me.

It's one of those things that's hard to get until you experience it yourself... which might sound weird, but it really is true. Also it was recommended by Notch to just pirate it to try it, so depending on where you stand with him in your opinion now, it's a win win lol

On 10/22/2020 at 2:36 PM, Hammerfestus said:

I don’t think I understand what you do.  
i played some of dragon quest builders.  I’ve heard it’s similar concept?

On 10/22/2020 at 6:06 PM, Hammerfestus said:

But what’s the game?  Is there some sort of narrative?  Do you fight people?

As i said above, it's a hard thing to explain... it's a game that is best tried out for yourself. It primary biggest OOTB features are open world and basically unlimited space and ample opportunity to just create. When you dig a bit deeper you get a pretty solid RPG lite adventure & survival sim of sorts. It's got chill vibes in the vein of Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing and/or Stardew Valley. It's got some deep mechanics and unique spaces for exploration and plenty of options for the hardcore & rogue like enthusiasts out there. The only reason I would recommend to stay away from it is if Open World games just aren't you jam, but even then, there's still some fun to be had out of it depending on what sort of stuff you liek to play otherwise. Also props to the deep, deep mod community. Second to none.

On 10/22/2020 at 3:02 PM, B.A. said:

Both my kids play it constantly on the Switch.  It is the one and only game I've told them that I won't play with them.  NO THANKS! 

I'd say youre missing out, but I can already imagine it won't help lol

On 10/22/2020 at 3:33 PM, JamesRobot said:

Plenty of better alternatives.  Specifically one alternative I guess.  Physical Legos.  Just build some Legos.

Except Legos are expensive bro. Like restrictively so tbh.

On 10/22/2020 at 4:15 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

I don't know what it is and I don't care to know.

An unfortunate stance to have, really.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

Except Legos are expensive bro. Like restrictively so tbh.

I'm with you there.  I do have a boatload of Legos but not even close to having enough to build some of the excellent sculptures you see online.

Still if I'm playing video games, Minecraft just doesn't speak to me.  Th kid enjoys it though but he's currently stuck on Fortnite. 

On 10/22/2020 at 6:31 PM, Gloves said:

Not really a minecraft thing specifically, just people making their YT thumbnails with their stupid 😮 face.

Youtube thumbs like this are aimed at kids cuz they get a kick out of it; call me old but it's super cringe. I referenced Markiplier because he's easily the most prolific use case:

image.png

It goes oooon and ooooon. Others emulate him because he's incredibly successful:

image.png

Never heard of him. Seen thumbnails like this a lot. Along with half naked click bait ones.