IGNORED

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Reed Rothchild

Wow this looks so good.  You get to actually play the story of the Calamity in the fun Hyrule Warriors style.  What I liked about this game before was being characters other than Link and the neat styles that came with them.  This looks like all that and then some, a more focused (and perhaps canonical) narrative is exactly what this series needed to be truly great.

It wasn't mentioned in the video, but the four champion amiibo are being re-released for this game.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I like the look of this. It looks amazing, and fun, and I look forward to it.

BUT. I hate the setup. I always hate prequels like this (or flashbacks whatever it is they're doing to tell this story), as the climactic failure of the heroes is never a surprise.

Let's take a step back in time real quick, and create an alternate dimension. I'll set it up for ya:

It's 2016, and a new Hyrule Warriors game has been announced; it's this game. The presentation is a bit different, they don't say anything like "100 years ago" etc.. It's just "here's a game, here's the characters, here's their story". We get the game that's being advertised here, but the story is all told as "this is the present", no "this is what happened all those years ago", to be clear.

You play this cool new Hyrule Warriors game with all these great characters, you fall in love with them, you want to see them succeed. You KNOW they will succeed, they're fuckin' Link and Zelda and their pals, obviously they will prevail.

But then they don't. The 4 heroes are killed, the champion Link is lethally injured, and Zelda enters into an eternal battle with Calamity Ganon. You've failed. The game closes into the credits and plays some sad Zelda song. It fades into a cave, shows Link's face, and Zelda whispers "Link, wake up".

Queue the announcement, post-credits, for Breath of the Wild, coming next year.  A new Zelda main line title with a sprawling adventure across a ravaged Hyrule. You will get to travel the lands 100 years post the game you just played, see the damage wrought from the battles you just went through, see how the world has been changed by YOUR actions. You get the chance to right your wrongs, but still have to live with the deaths of your friends whom you yourself fought beside.

Fuck yeah.

But instead we get a "here's what happened, even though you already know". Sure we'll get the intricate details, but what SURPRISE will there be? I just can't stand this setup and it's so typical. People will tell a story and give it a BACKstory, and then later go "you know what, yeah, damn, that might have been cool to flesh out".

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted

Definitely getting this on launch day, 100%. I mean, Breath of the Wild is my favorite game of all time, so it'd be silly of me to not eat this up. I'll probably get this along with Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition. I never did play the original Hyrule Warriors even though I always meant to, and now seems like the best time to finally try the series out. Really looking forward to this, and I love the premise.

Edited by ZeldaFreak
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted
13 minutes ago, Jicsan said:

This is annoying, a pre-order bonus only for the digital version.  At least it's a stupid bonus I won't miss, probably.

hyrulewarriors2.thumb.jpg.77528c30131759acd9e231b81d3e6171.jpg

Yeah, pre-order bonuses like that are whatever, but it's incredibly silly to lock it behind specifically the digital version, dunno why they'd do that. But oh well, like you said, I don't think it's a bonus many people are going to particularly lament missing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gloves said:

I like the look of this. It looks amazing, and fun, and I look forward to it.

BUT. I hate the setup. I always hate prequels like this (or flashbacks whatever it is they're doing to tell this story), as the climactic failure of the heroes is never a surprise.

Let's take a step back in time real quick, and create an alternate dimension. I'll set it up for ya:

It's 2016, and a new Hyrule Warriors game has been announced; it's this game. The presentation is a bit different, they don't say anything like "100 years ago" etc.. It's just "here's a game, here's the characters, here's their story". We get the game that's being advertised here, but the story is all told as "this is the present", no "this is what happened all those years ago", to be clear.

You play this cool new Hyrule Warriors game with all these great characters, you fall in love with them, you want to see them succeed. You KNOW they will succeed, they're fuckin' Link and Zelda and their pals, obviously they will prevail.

But then they don't. The 4 heroes are killed, the champion Link is lethally injured, and Zelda enters into an eternal battle with Calamity Ganon. You've failed. The game closes into the credits and plays some sad Zelda song. It fades into a cave, shows Link's face, and Zelda whispers "Link, wake up".

Queue the announcement, post-credits, for Breath of the Wild, coming next year.  A new Zelda main line title with a sprawling adventure across a ravaged Hyrule. You will get to travel the lands 100 years post the game you just played, see the damage wrought from the battles you just went through, see how the world has been changed by YOUR actions. You get the chance to right your wrongs, but still have to live with the deaths of your friends whom you yourself fought beside.

Fuck yeah.

But instead we get a "here's what happened, even though you already know". Sure we'll get the intricate details, but what SURPRISE will there be? I just can't stand this setup and it's so typical. People will tell a story and give it a BACKstory, and then later go "you know what, yeah, damn, that might have been cool to flesh out".

That assumes that Nintendo would've put that much thought or consideration into telling a story, which the plot of their games is definitely the bottom of the list of priorities for Nintendo.

Also while I haven't played it I've heard nothing but good things about original Hyrule Warriors so I think this should be great as well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 3:49 PM, B.A. said:

I skipped Hyrule Warriors because I didn't care for Fire Emblem Warriors.  So I'm on the fence on this one.  I already know what happens in the end. 

Same here.  I tried to like the series when that launch game for 3DS appeared.  It was good for a time, but once you get into the middling stars and up stuff, the AI tended to get really dumb making you have to all too often babysit the other generals and jump to them whether you wanted to or not to make sure they kept the cat wrangled so you didn't fail (or they didn't suicide out.)  I got fed up and sold it over that, and all I ever see for negative comments or mixed comments on 'Warriors' games it is a common problem not exclusive to that.

I just don't see Nintendo getting those developers to make that poor design setup any better so I'm like split on wanting to play the calamity story or just avoiding it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...