IGNORED

Alert: GameValueNow is Manipulating their Pricing On CIB Games

jonebone

2 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

Clearly the issue is perhaps just obvious to me. Carry on.

No I think I'm pretty clear on the issue. Your upset that some big company came and took over your little mom and pop site and ruined it. We all hated that. It's no different than Applebee's rolling into town and taking over your favorite bar and destroying it. But for some reason the waitress that now works at Applebee's needs to be given a hard time because the place she works for tore down your hometown hangout. Even though she had nothing to do with the sale/purchase of the place or held a sledge hammer that went through the window with the old name on it, nothing. 

If there is more to the issue that is only obvious to you than please I implore you to explain.

• Like 6

Administrator · Posted

Let's try to remember that Magus has been an NA member for years, and a good friend to many from there. Further, he was helping Hogie w/ GVN since long before GC came along, so @LeatherRebel5150's analogy is quite apt - he's just the cashier working at the place that got bought out. They let him keep his job and keep doing what he's passionate about (the site). 

If you're the type of person to tell the cashier to quit her only means of income because the guy that bought the place is an asshole then I dunno what to tell ya, you're being a jerk.

And tbh cashier isn't even really the MOST apt thing here. We're talking about a person doing something they're passionate about. How many chances do you think the average Joe gets to say "I work on something related to video games, and those are my passion". I myself was quite happy to work with GoCollect early on; I split from them for a difference in perspective and because I put the NA community absolute top first, but make no mistake I did so only because I had another (far higher paying) job secured. I don't claim to know Magus' financial situation but I know (as he's mentioned before) that he's on the payroll. Look at the economic climate today and tell me you're comfortable telling someone who may have no other options to quit because "Comic company bad". Come on.

At any rate, this is derailing. This isn't, and shouldn't be, a discussion about Magus - he really doesn't deserve any flak. This conversation is about what people perceive to be price manipulation. 

I can tell you from working on the code on GVN that it wasn't being manipulated while I was working on it at the least. I can tell you also that there's literally one guy working on the code today, similar to how Hogie did it - he's working in code that he didn't himself build, likely having to change it so it even works. It was all heavily bootstrapped and no disrespect to Hogie, love the guy, but DB architecture wasn't his strongest suit all those years ago when he built it. Odds are GC dude is having enough trouble keeping the site alive to be bothered manipulating prices; my honest take is that it's probably buggy as hell and he's working through it.

It'd be nice to hear something of an overall status from them on their blog or something, maybe a list of goals or what have you, current issues being worked on etc.. Some manner of statement regarding this price manip accusation. We all here know that communication has not been their strong suit with interacting with the gaming community, we're pretty used to that. They tend to just sorta stay silent until there's something you might call "PR ready". Very different from say Hogie or myself. But again, they're a company, maybe they have a strict process. I can fuck up VGS and then come back and go "Hah sorry guys I'm an idiot" and we all laugh and have a go cuz we're buds. They're a company and under heavy scrutiny from this community so if they say something on here at the least they'd DEFINITELY get shit on (especially if our own user Magus does) so why would they?

Anyway this has become a novel and I've had to stop playing Runescape to type it up, and exp waste is unacceptable, so I'm gonna chop it off here.

Suffice it to say - if you think there's price manip happening, report it to Magus, or on the contact form on GVN. Either they fix it, or you tell everyone here "hey all, yeah they're definitely doing shady shit" and we all appreciate your hard work either way cuz you're helping this community to not get scammed.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

It’s not just you that has been flat out rude to @Magus There’s a whole bunch of you who make this place unbearable at times. 

A fucking men brother.

@Magus I think you have done an excellent job taking community feedback to make GVN better. I’m not much of a fan of GoCollect, but I appreciate the work you have done and the attention you have given us. For those who are bitching I sincerely hope you are at least a paying member of GVN. 

This level of customer service just does not exist anymore. 

• Like 5

I can see a pattern of discrepancies when comparing the prices from Pricecharting to the prices of Gamevaluenow.  When it comes to more valuable games, GVN's prices are often higher, sometimes by a significant margin.

One significant discrepancy involves NBA Jam: Tournament Edition, SEALED/NEW;  Pricecharting has it at $63.07 while Gamevaluenow has it at over $248!

The discrepancy isn't usually as severe, but it's a glaring example.

9 minutes ago, SandbagX said:

I can see a pattern of discrepancies when comparing the prices from Pricecharting to the prices of Gamevaluenow.  When it comes to more valuable games, GVN's prices are often higher, sometimes by a significant margin.

One significant discrepancy involves NBA Jam: Tournament Edition, SEALED/NEW;  Pricecharting has it at $63.07 while Gamevaluenow has it at over $248!

The discrepancy isn't usually as severe, but it's a glaring example.

If you look closer, GVN has 2 most recent sales of $345 and $450. Pricecharting is missing those sales for whatever reason, which is killing their average for that game. $248 is far more accurate than $63.07.

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 10.50.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 10.50.45 PM.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, B.A. said:

Does anyone else find it absurd how we of all places have somehow become the unofficial place for GoCollect news and updates? At least their GVN wing. 

Don’t forget WATA and heritage auctions. 
Gotta run em’ all outta town. Only them will we become what we once were.....

Administrator · Posted
8 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Don’t forget WATA and heritage auctions. 
Gotta run em’ all outta town. Only them will we become what we once were.....

I prefer what we've become to what we were, if I'm being honest. Do recall that prior to GC there was much talk of how NA was becoming quite stale and quiet. I feel we've reinvigorated the community a decent bit, especially considering how many forum are dwindling right now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I prefer what we've become to what we were, if I'm being honest. Do recall that prior to GC there was much talk of how NA was becoming quite stale and quiet. I feel we've reinvigorated the community a decent bit, especially considering how many forum are dwindling right now.

I have to agree with this.  They might have "NA" as a name, but the people here are NA.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

Clearly the issue is perhaps just obvious to me. Carry on.

You misspelled "oblivious" in this statement. 😉

In all cases if @Magus is guilty for doing his job, then we are all guilty of any ill-conceived accusation that some intolerable poster can make up. 🙃

Now if you don't mind... I need to be blamed for something I did not do but somehow am at fault because the annoyed poster did not like something I said/did/etc.

I know a lot has already been said on this topic, but I want to voice my quick opinion and mention that I'm 100% behind @Magus and I'm also very certain there is no manipulation is going on.  As Gloves has stated, Magus has been around for a long time and was even helping Hoagie run the site.  I know we are all quite jaded with what the parent company did to NintendoAge.  I mean, how could we not be?  However, in working with Hoagie and Magus at different times I can definitely see how this very unfortunate bug could have been a possibility.  But think about it, this being a bug is the only thing that makes sense.  If GVN only posted numbers for each value and no history, we could make this claim.  But it also doesn't make sense to post your data which you aggregate below the numbers if you are going to monkey with the prices.  Just as you guys did, you can take the numbers on their site, do the math an show it's wrong.  In fact, to me this only proves it was a bug.

But I digress on that topic.  Over the past year I've even noticed other bugs, I've messaged Magus and by-proxy, I've worked with the dev to double-check fixes and pinpoint potential causes of bugs.  Why?  Because I still like GVN.  In fact  the reason I still prefer it, in spite of the flaws, is because it's management (Magus) is so accessible.  Maybe the people running PriceCharting are just as accessible on some other digital watering hole, but I've known for a long time that if I had a question or I saw a bug Hoagie/Magus would hear my concerns, talk to me and they'd even take my suggestions on ways to fix or improve the issues. I can be a "squeaky wheel" some times.  I can admit that.  Regardless, Magus has done a good job keeping the spirit of Hoagie's work alive.

I will 100% admit that I am no fan of GoCollect.  Regardless, from my small interactions with the inside, they seem to let the two resources they've dedicated to this tool do their work to do the best they can. I can acknowledge that and appreciate it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I just wanted to say thank you guys for the support. I really appreciate it. 

As always if you ever have any questions or see anything that doesn't look right, like the averages mentioned here, please just shoot me a message either in the main thread or even by PM. I will try my best to take care of it. Or try to get an explanation of what is going on. There is still a lot of tweaking to do to get things finetuned, and the hope is no more bugs or errors pop up weeks to months later that set us back. 

My main focus right now is 

1-Getting the remaining games with missing data filled in(RH had a great idea of addressing this)
2-Removing bad data/sales that may be throwing off averages, especially for high profile games(Reporting these when you see them, allows me to address them much faster, because i can't audit 25k games)
3-Adding the rest of the switch library

36 minutes ago, Magus said:

I just wanted to say thank you guys for the support. I really appreciate it. 

As always if you ever have any questions or see anything that doesn't look right, like the averages mentioned here, please just shoot me a message either in the main thread or even by PM. I will try my best to take care of it. Or try to get an explanation of what is going on. There is still a lot of tweaking to do to get things finetuned, and the hope is no more bugs or errors pop up weeks to months later that set us back. 

My main focus right now is 

1-Getting the remaining games with missing data filled in(RH had a great idea of addressing this)
2-Removing bad data/sales that may be throwing off averages, especially for high profile games(Reporting these when you see them, allows me to address them much faster, because i can't audit 25k games)
3-Adding the rest of the switch library

It looks like the algorithm is still screwed up. I checked out the value of a loose Xbox360 disc of Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge. It says $27.15, but out of the last 15 sales only one sale (around the middle of the timeline of the last 15) was above this amount at $29.99. Everything else was lower, and the most recent sale was only for $9.99. The average of the last 15 is $18.16. I'm guessing this is happening across the board, but I just happened to notice it with this game.

Last 15 loose sales and average price:

$9.50
$24.99
$20.00
$26.99
$19.95
$21.50
$9.95
$29.95
$25.00
$12.99
$12.99
$20.22
$14.93
$16.49
$7.00
Average: $18.16

Pic of the value according to GVN:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/9ZHuioa.png[/img]

Edit: Not sure why imgur pic isn't displaying, but feel free to use the url: https://imgur.com/9ZHuioa

Edited by BreaKBeatZ