IGNORED

Homebrew Leader Board Competition 2020-Game 9: The Cowlitz Gamers' Lost Adventure

Scrobins

Moderator · Posted

Homebrew Leader Board Competition 2020 - Game 9: The Cowlitz Gamers' Lost Adventure

Play Period: Friday, September 4 - Sunday, September 20, 2020

Download the rom here.

What once was lost, now is found, and damn is it fun! With the release of the rom for Action 53, Volume 4 and in anticipation of its upcoming cartridge release, we are swapping out our final regular season game with The Cowlitz Gamers' Lost Adventure! This standalone collection of new levels modeled on The Cowlitz Gamers' 2nd Adventure is loosely based on programmer Łukasz Kur's unreleased ZX predecessor game. The goal is to climb from one level to the next, avoiding enemies and finding treasure, hidden secrets, and the means to open the door to the next stage in the limited time the clock affords you.

Fans will recognize the colorful and challenging levels designed by Łukasz Kur and @M-Tee, accompanied by the fun chiptune stylings of Robi. The first two Cowlitz Gamers' Adventures (released in 2016 and 2017 respectively) were developed for the now-concluded Cowlitz Gamers for Kids Expo, an event that raised money for The Arc of Cowlitz County in partnership with Lifeworks Washington, serving people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families. The expo was overseen by John Hancock, Chelsea Beck, and Jonathan Rose.

In honor of this being the last game before the finals of this NES homebrew competition, this month's winner will receive a CIB of 30 Years of Nintendont, a Sega Genesis homebrew by @Dr. Ludos and available through Côté Gamers.

How to submit your score:

1. Scores shall be submitted by posting a picture to that month’s game thread.  Screenshots of a computer screen (print screen) are not acceptable.

2. The picture must include the entire screen and have your VGS user name within the picture on a piece of paper.   Username can not be added digitally to the picture.

3. Type out your score in bold on your thread post.

4. Scores must be submitted within the posted time frame.

5. Do not submit scores from previous runs.

6. Use one post for your score.  You can submit as many as you like by editing your original post.  You can bump the thread to announce your new score.

Rules:

1. NTSC only, no PAL.  This will create a level playing field and not create differences based on timing.

2. OEM, FPGA, and clone consoles are OKAY.

3. Emulators are OKAY.  Play game at 100% speed.

4. No save states allowed.

5. Flashcarts (i.e. Everdrive / Power Pak) are OKAY.

6. No turbo or slow motion controllers are allowed.

7. No game genie codes.

8. Do not use glitches in the game to boost your score.

UPDATED RULES:

9. You may not use passwords or continues

10. You may play on any difficulty, but be aware of the impact on points and extra lives as per the chart below:

14800996_CowlitzLostChart.jpg.189b8cb8b5f3dbdacb8265417f1a6d19.jpg

1822899639_CowlitzGamersLost.jpg.b3c7c96298048283ee9cd807e2fe9631.jpg 1847484611_CowlitzGamersLost2.jpg.05075c08de73e0a268dd3b65311764a6.jpg

Moderator · Posted

The Cowlitz Gamers' Lost Adventure Leaderboard

Username               Score                Date

Red                     245,350       9/20/2020

bertsampson      203,250      9/20/2020

Jeevan                179,350       9/20/2020

ecmyers              132,600       9/18/2020

Deadeye             103,400       9/20/2020

JamesRobot         66,750       9/16/2020

Ausden                20,660       9/16/2020

Jicsan                    8,720        9/19/2020

Scrobins                2,740        9/20/2020

• The topic was pinned
Moderator · Posted
8 hours ago, bertsampson said:

Are we to play this on a specific difficulty?  Are there higher points awarded for harder difficulties?  I seem to remember that being a thing on the 2nd Adventure.

We've decided that you may play on any difficulty, and posted a chart that displays how points/extra lives are affected by difficulty. However passwords and continues will not be allowed.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's on like Donkey Kong! (Though this game is more like Mario Bros. than DK.)

I just started learning Lost Adventure last night, and I'm having a blast with it. Just want to get myself on the scoreboard, though I sure expect to improve my score by the weekend.

IMG_20200918_025527143_HDR.jpg

Edited by ecmyers
  • Like 1

Events Helper · Posted

Updated as well lol.

Also, since ur on, what is the way to get the diamond to appear every time first level......seems like it is so random.  I know there are super secret teleports and stuff, but man, seems like some of this stuff is impossible to get!?  IDK......anyway, fun little game, not sure I will get much better at it tho.

• Like 1

There's an invisible switch, about 8x8 pixels in size in every stage, that's triggered by contact. There's a "secret revealed" sound effect that plays when you hit it. Depending on the stage, the switch will either:

* spawn a diamond

* grant access to a diamond

-or-

* grant safe passage back from getting the diamond

Collect 8 diamonds to get access to a hidden chamber (bonus stage) that opens up quite a lot of extra points.

Happy hunting!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, ecmyers said:

If anyone is curious, I streamed a full playthrough of the game on Normal Mode the other night, and I found most of the diamonds at some point. I've since located some of the ones I missed. Don't mind my terrible game play—I seem to have a blindspot for chandeliers. 😄 But I'm getting better!

Ya, those chandeliers seem to hide really, really well, i didn't even see them the first time i got to the tower stage 🤣.

Events Helper · Posted
2 hours ago, M-Tee said:

There's an invisible switch, about 8x8 pixels in size in every stage, that's triggered by contact. There's a "secret revealed" sound effect that plays when you hit it. Depending on the stage, the switch will either:

* spawn a diamond

* grant access to a diamond

-or-

* grant safe passage back from getting the diamond

Collect 8 diamonds to get access to a hidden chamber (bonus stage) that opens up quite a lot of extra points.

Happy hunting!

This helped out a lot thanks, now if only i can git gud and do it without dieing to play on ace mode lol.

Also, do u have more games that you have helped/made to promote?

mteegfx.com

That should lead to my itch page.

You can play the predecessor to this game, The Cowlitz Gamers' 2nd Adventure. It has a manual included that's applicable to Lost as well (it explains the hidden switches for instance).

Gruniożerca 2 and 3 were both from the same development team as these games (myself and Łukasz Kur). They're different genres though, a puzzle platformer and a puzzle game.

• Like 4

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, M-Tee said:

mteegfx.com

That should lead to my itch page.

You can play the predecessor to this game, The Cowlitz Gamers' 2nd Adventure. It has a manual included that's applicable to Lost as well (it explains the hidden switches for instance).

Gruniożerca 2 and 3 were both from the same development team as these games (myself and Łukasz Kur). They're different genres though, a puzzle platformer and a puzzle game.

Thanks, I will check them out 🙂 Sorry if it was such a noob question 😉 Im a little new to the homebrew thing.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, Scrobins said:

Let us know if you’re interested in any recommendations!

Feel free to suggest away.  I would like to own actual copies tbh, any and all are welcome tho.  I like supporting people and I like good games 🙂.  This just honestly hasn't been anything I have explored until @Gloves had us do bingo.  I have done very little lurking in the dev section but that was it.  Also, keep in mind that I just really got into the scene last year, so I am definitely late to the party lol.  I did however purchase family picross because of @Vectrex28 making it and all.  Anyway, I have rambled on enough.......but yes, feel free to send anything my way, I really like rpg's as well, are there any good homebrew rpg's out there?

• Thanks 1