IGNORED

Vacuum Cleaners + Other Fun Everyday Appliances & Stuff

So, the time has come to purchase a new vacuum cleaner! I did some research and ended up with the Miele Compact C2 canister...

Quite expensive, but (hopefully) should be worth the cost. I consider a good vacuum an absolute necessity. This one here is made in Germany, so certainly good quality... well, again, hopefully. Anyone else recently splurge on an appliance? I admit, shopping for appliances is quite enjoyable. Also, unlike say a Switch, it's not 100% sold out and scalped. Although, perhaps not surprisingly, appliance sales are up https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/25/lowes-ceo-marvin-ellison-says-sales-have-been-up-during-coronavirus-pandemic.html

Screenshot from 2020-08-06 19-43-41.png

I bought a Dyson V8 and never looked back. I need something light because of my back issues. This thing is light, lasts long on a charge, easy to maneuver, and destroys 3 cats worth of cat hair. The only flaw is i have to empty it almost every time i use it to vacuum the house. But they do make a bigger version. 

https://www.amazon.com/Dyson-Animal-Cordless-Vacuum-Cleaner/dp/B06XG7WKKL/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=dyson+v8&qid=1596758580&s=home-garden&sr=1-2

1 hour ago, Magus said:

I bought a Dyson V8 and never looked back. I need something light because of my back issues. This thing is light, lasts long on a charge, easy to maneuver, and destroys 3 cats worth of cat hair. The only flaw is i have to empty it almost every time i use it to vacuum the house. But they do make a bigger version. 

https://www.amazon.com/Dyson-Animal-Cordless-Vacuum-Cleaner/dp/B06XG7WKKL/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=dyson+v8&qid=1596758580&s=home-garden&sr=1-2

We have one of the updated version of this and they are great.  No regrets so far.

We need a shop vac but I want something old and built like a tank that won't break in 5 years or less.

The junk they make today is often designed to work for 5-10 years. I have no clue what to get because I don't know if they make anything built to my preferred level of quality, but I:LL probably look for an old Hoover on Craigslist.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
11 minutes ago, RH said:

We need a shop vac but I want something old and built like a tank that won't break in 5 years or less.

The junk they make today is often designed to work for 5-10 years. I have no clue what to get because I don't know if they make anything built to my preferred level of quality, but I:LL probably look for an old Hoover on Craigslist.

That brings back the sound of my Dad's shopvac from childhood, WHICH IS STILL WORKING!  

It's brown and looks like a mini barrel.   Might be a Craftsman of some sort?   Next time I head over there I'll see if I can find the brand.

• Thanks 1

I’m a strong believer in paying a good price for well built appliances and tools. 
We have a Miele vacuum we got around 4 years ago and it still is going as strong as the day we got it. We also got a Miele washing machine and it’s the best wash we’ve ever had.

Our dishwasher is getting a bit old and isn’t washing as well, I definitely will be buying a Miele dishwasher.

Same applies for tools. A lot of the well made famous tool brands are mostly junk now and are riding on the old name. I mostly only buy Festool, blue Bosch or DeWalt.

I've been meaning to get a new vacuum, but I haven't a clue what to get, as the models here don't always match up 1:1 with the models abroad, even if the brands do match.

Does anyone have some recommendations of a vacuum brand that works quite well for picking up cat litter? That's the most important aspect for me.

One thing I can't stand is lugging a vacuum around and plugging it in and trying to vacuum around the cord, which is why we eventually went with the Dyson cordless vac.  I don't remember which model specifically, but it's been working great for us.  The battery lasts long enough to go over the entire house, but we rarely need to do that because it's so easy to pickup and vacuum for just a few minutes, that we usually just clean up any small mess as needed and hang it back up on the charger.  The charger is built into the wall mount, so simply hanging it backup will charge it for next time.