IGNORED

I have been Switched!

Tabonga

Switch consoles (with the docking mount) have been showing up sporadically on Target's and Walmart's inventories locally for the last couple of weeks - most have either been pretty far away and the close stores when I went they did not have them.

Yesterday morning the Target closest to me showed "limited availablilty" (which means one) and I got there about 20 minutes after they opened.  You guessed it - no switch.

Last night right before I went to bed I checked the inventory again and the nearest that had them was in Great Falls Montana - miserable place to drive to in any event.

I got up at 3:15 this morning to let the woofer out and feed him.  Afterwards I went online and checked the Target inventory and now the second closest store to me showed them having at least 2 (since the limited availabiilty didn't pop up) in stock. I got there about 5 minutes before they opened (at 7:00) and there was one  guy waiting in line and he was there to get one too.  We both agreed that scalpers are pretty much the scum of the earth (once we established that neither of us was there for that).  

The store opened and he sprinted ahead of me - when I got to the electronics department  we saw there were two in the case - while waiting for someone to open the case a woman walks up and also wants one.  I suggested that there might be some in stock in back - I also explained about the inventory checker online so she could look elsewhere if needs be.  The clerk came up and said that was all they had so the woman left and we each got our console.  

While checking us out the clerk got three phone calls from people wanting to know if they were in stock.  As I left the store two guys were walking in talking about how they were glad Target had the consoles in stock again.

I am not sure what my next quest will be.   Probably be too busy playing games to engage in one.

• Like 4

I'm well aware about production of these units and, generally, how it works.  But after nearly 40 years of producing gaming hardware, you think Nintendo would solve the scaling issues.  I know, COVID, COVID and everyone is getting into gaming but, regardless, Nintendo seems to always have issues scaling production when people, "surprise!" actually want to buy their equipment and goods.

Come on Nintendo, get your stuff together.*

*But to be fair, I have no clue of there are PS4 or Xbox availability issues.  If not, it proves that fact that production can scale up when demand spikes and meet that demand after a little bit of adjustment time.

I suspect that issues in China regarding the virus disrupted not only production but along the supply chain*. And a lot of demand has built up since they vanished pretty much at the start of the virus lockdown so there has been a large demand built up - with the result that only a few consoles can go to any one store (which would be Target's allocation decisions. And I suspect scalpers will continue to play a larger role in things until the stores (both brick/mortar and online) can actually lay in inventories that will stay there for awhile.

*I had several packages that I had ordered from Russia shortly before the virus kerfluffle and the Russian postal system was pretty much nuked - I only recently started getting those sporadically.  I have some things from other parts of Europe that have taken much longer then usual to get to me,  I still have two switch games hung up in Japan since the Japanese postal system has stopped shipping to the US.

Edited by Tabonga

I also, finally, just got one. The kicker is I bought one a few years ago, but returned it as I didn’t feel right spending the money while I needed a big home repair. That work started in February when I had saved up the funds, and I was wanting a Switch when it was done. 

Sold out everywhere etc. I did see one Lite at Target a few months ago but that’s not for me. In hindsight I should have bought it to flip, oh well.

The way it worked for me was a service that sends text messages when something is in stock. Most of the time I would click the link right away, and it was already gone. I hate playing this game. But apparently everybody else is too, so I had to to beat the bots. Eventually, Best Buy came up, and I swept into the app and bought one. I paid on July 22 and it was to be ready for pickup on the 30th. My vacation was July19-Aug1; would have been nice to get it sooner. But at least I got it. (And at least I am working and had a vacation. That’s a lot better off than a lot of people)

• Like 1

Well good on all of you beating the scalper dogs and getting a very uniquely fun handheld hybrid that is the switch.  I've not put this much time into a new Nintendo system since the Wii, Gamecube before that (of if speaking handhelds the Ds, GBA.)  So much to do, lots of options, and that not being stuck on a TV opens many doors.

5 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Well good on all of you beating the scalper dogs and getting a very uniquely fun handheld hybrid that is the switch.  I've not put this much time into a new Nintendo system since the Wii, Gamecube before that (of if speaking handhelds the Ds, GBA.)  So much to do, lots of options, and that not being stuck on a TV opens many doors.

I have about 50 games already so I am all set to go. Think I will  start with Wargroove.  Mrs.Tabonga is showing some interest so we may wind up getting another down the road.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, drxandy said:

Wargroove is super cool! Love the art, I need to get back into it since there was a free dlc that looks neat. So many fun games backlogged.

I am really impressed with how many SRPGs and strategy games there are on the switch.  Both genres were woefully under represented on all of the earlier gaming consoles,   I hope that they make physical releases for Fell Seal and Banner of the Maiden.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sumez said:

..Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just order one online?

If anyplace had them (other than scalpers) it would be* - Gamestop sometimes have  them but they bundle them with stuff I don't want.  Best Buy has them once in awhile but you pretty much need to be online when they open up orders since they vanish instantly. 

*Nintendo doesn't sell them directly on line.

Edited by Tabonga

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

One thing about games with no air power is that they tend to be harder - most games you establish air superiority and it becomes a matter of mopping up.

Yeah this is super true. Even Advance Wars is like that, you just bide your time till you got a fleet of bombers and it's pretty much game.

On 8/4/2020 at 6:00 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

It's also hard as shit.  Harder than any Advance Wars

Yeah - I don't think I have ever had my ass kicked so much by a game.  Which is ok - I enjoy having a serious challenge   On some of the longer scenarios you don't know you are snookered until you are well into it. 

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1