IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

2 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Two relief packages in a row that are relying on massive funding through the IRS

https://reason.com/2021/06/24/new-1-2-trillion-bipartisan-infrastructure-plan-to-be-partially-funded-by-stepped-up-irs-enforcement/

Warner, the Times reports, also said that the package would include $40 billion in funding for the IRS, which would then be used to go after unpaid taxes. This, he claims, will bring in $100 billion in new revenue. (The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget estimates that $40 billion in new IRS funding would bring in only $60 billion in new revenue.)

Cant we all agree on fuck the IRS?

What's wrong with the IRS? 

I mean I don't like paying taxes as much as anyone else, but it's kind of necessary in a society.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Californication said:

What's wrong with the IRS? 

I mean I don't like paying taxes as much as anyone else, but it's kind of necessary in a society.

Its policies are bullshit? 15-30% for capital gains tax, 40% inheritance tax, taxing income for all workers under $20k per year, I mean the list goes on and on including the loop wholes written in to allow for tax evasion by the rich. 

What's right with the IRS? They completely bleed the common person and are side stepped by the wealthy. What's right with the IRS?

32 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Its policies are bullshit? 15-30% for capital gains tax, 40% inheritance tax, taxing income for all workers under $20k per year, I mean the list goes on and on including the loop wholes written in to allow for tax evasion by the rich. 

What's right with the IRS? They completely bleed the common person and are side stepped by the wealthy. What's right with the IRS?

I agree that the taxes aren't equal. But that is the job of congress and the president to implement tax law.The IRS basically functions to collect taxes. 

And part of the reason the IRS doesn't go after wealthy people is because they have been completly stripped of most of their experienced agents and the don't have any money to go after wealthy people. And again they don't have money to do their job because congress/previous presidents did not appropriate money for them to do their job.

Just like the post office the IRS is super efficient. If you give the IRS funding they literally bring back more money than they spend. 

And responding specifically to that article. It's a joke. That is not going to pass. By bipartisan they mean 5 dems and 5 republicans. To break a filibuster you need 10 republicans and all dems to hold which is not going to happen.

The reason the bill sucks is because the dems want to spend more and the republicans are refusing unless they pay for the infrastructure bill first. So they are suggesting to take the money from vaccine appropriations, tax collection, etc. This is all about those 5 republicans and 5 dems trying to get attention and they want negotiations to go through them when they can't even guarantee a bill gets passed.

It's really kind of irritating that the republicans didn't give a shit about paying for their 2 trillion dollar tax cut, but now that they talk about infrastructure they get hostile.

Screenshot-from-2021-06-28-22-42-43.png

https://apnews.com/article/california-florida-lifestyle-travel-business-048670c6461032de3cb67154d624ab13

Democratic Attorney General Rob Bonta added Florida, Arkansas, Montana, North Dakota and West Virginia to the list that now has 17 states where state employee travel is forbidden except under limited circumstances. “Make no mistake: We’re in the midst of an unprecedented wave of bigotry and discrimination in this country — and the State of California is not going to support it,” Bonta said. Lawmakers in 2016 banned non-essential travel to states with laws that discriminate against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. The 12 other states on the list are: Texas, Alabama, Idaho, Iowa, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, Mississippi, Tennessee.

Totally agree that bigotry and discrimination has not place here in the USA... although I rather question how effective this ban is? BUT, it's a California thing apparently since the state has 395,608 regulatory restrictions which is about three times that of an average state - some of us collect video games, California collects restrictions 🙂

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/2020-11-03/which-state-has-the-most-regulations

Edited by avatar!

I live here, and I always say California never met a law it didn't pass. 🙂 Though to be honest, it's not that bad.

And not the first time we've banned travel (we actually had more states banned about a year ago.)

In other news, Mike Lindell is still insane.

https://www.newsweek.com/mike-lindell-urges-scotus-immediately-reinstate-trump-get-rid-communists-1604957?amp=1

On 6/25/2021 at 7:26 PM, Tulpa said:

Uh-oh.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/25/politics/trump-organization-weisselberg-charges/index.html

Granted, this isn't the same as Trump himself, but still, gotta wonder what else will be crawling around once this log is yanked up.

Followup:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/manhattan-prosecutors-will-charge-the-trump-organization-and-its-cfo-with-tax-related-crimes-on-thursday-report-says/ar-AALCN6s?li=BBnb7Kz

• The Manhattan DA's office will charge the Trump Organization and CFO Allen Weisselberg tomorrow.
  • WSJ reported that the company and Weisselberg will be indicted for "tax-related crimes."
  • It will be the first indictment to come out of a two-year investigation into Trump's company.

• 2 weeks later...

MoMA Survived Ten Weeks of Protest

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/moma-survived-ten-weeks-protest-strike-moma-1990049

“The abolition of slavery should be followed by the abolition of the museum, where plunder continues to be cultivated as private property,” said Ariella Azoulay, a professor at Brown University who spoke to activists during an online component of the protests.

I actually respect Prof. Azoulay, so I suspect that her comments are a bit out of context. I find it hard to believe she truly wants to burn and destroy any museums. She did later says

“A practice of repair,” Azoulay said, echoing what some employees inside the museum told Artnet News, “should take over the infrastructure of the Museum of Modern Art and become its guiding principle.”

What exactly is this guiding principle? Regardless, MOMA and other museums should continue to teach and inspire. Also, it's not as if MOMA plundered art like the British Museum -

Screenshot-from-2021-07-19-19-38-02.png

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/04/british-museum-is-worlds-largest-receiver-of-stolen-goods-says-qc

I think the British Museum is a bit of a travesty the way they plundered, and at the same time a great deal of knowledge and culture has been preserved. Case in point, consider the Bamiyan Buddhas which were destroyed by the Taliban because they considered them (and numerous other artifacts) going against the teachings of Islam. Anyway, something to think about.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 7:44 AM, avatar! said:

think the British Museum is a bit of a travesty the way they plundered, and at the same time a great deal of knowledge and culture has been preserved. Case in point, consider the Bamiyan Buddhas which were destroyed by the Taliban because they considered them (and numerous other artifacts) going against the teachings of Islam. Anyway, something to think about.

I shudder to think what would happen to all the Chinese treasures if Taiwan gave them back to China.

On 7/19/2021 at 4:44 PM, avatar! said:

MoMA Survived Ten Weeks of Protest

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/moma-survived-ten-weeks-protest-strike-moma-1990049

“The abolition of slavery should be followed by the abolition of the museum, where plunder continues to be cultivated as private property,” said Ariella Azoulay, a professor at Brown University who spoke to activists during an online component of the protests.

I actually respect Prof. Azoulay, so I suspect that her comments are a bit out of context. I find it hard to believe she truly wants to burn and destroy any museums. She did later says

“A practice of repair,” Azoulay said, echoing what some employees inside the museum told Artnet News, “should take over the infrastructure of the Museum of Modern Art and become its guiding principle.”

What exactly is this guiding principle? Regardless, MOMA and other museums should continue to teach and inspire. Also, it's not as if MOMA plundered art like the British Museum -

Screenshot-from-2021-07-19-19-38-02.png

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/04/british-museum-is-worlds-largest-receiver-of-stolen-goods-says-qc

I think the British Museum is a bit of a travesty the way they plundered, and at the same time a great deal of knowledge and culture has been preserved. Case in point, consider the Bamiyan Buddhas which were destroyed by the Taliban because they considered them (and numerous other artifacts) going against the teachings of Islam. Anyway, something to think about.

I remember when the U.S. went into Iraq, they knew the museums would be targeted. I want to say there were plans set that said they should have been protected, but the U.S didn't care. All of the museums were ransacked.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEBvjnG4q7Is7fBljs9qQcXAqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowocv1CjCSptoCMI29pgU?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Mike Lindell doubles down on his voter fraud allegations, despite multiple experts saying that there is nothing to his claims. The "data" he has released turned out to be meaningless.

Sure, he has his own "experts", who he won't name. And he claims his upcoming cybersymposium will reveal all, despite two films he released that previously claimed to show the fraud. 

It should be noted that the broadcast of his symposium will include numerous MyPillow ads.

Edited by Tulpa

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

If there's a need for any more proof that Trump is holding the Republican party hostage...

https://www.newsweek.com/mo-brooks-backpedals-after-trump-rally-goers-boo-him-saying-move-past-2020-election-1621848?amp=1

Mo Brooks Backpedals After Trump Rally-Goers Boo Him for Saying Move Past 2020 Election

Sadly, the party was heading down that direction since the start of the Red Scare.

What sped it up was Obama, who is also half-White, gave their party a moral victory. Since then the GOP has been a party that includes hypocrites who do not care about the party's legacy, the fact that a majority of GOP Presidents would oppose Trump, the fact the founding members of the Republican party would have opposed Trump, and the fact that the Founding Fathers would have opposed Trump. With history showing those people would have been called anti-American if they were here today.

What is worse is the fact that Trump was a vocal proponent of the Birther movement, which means he was fine with treason against a sitting President when it came to President Obama. He even went as far as publicly pardon a member of that movement. Then there is the 2016 election, where he went against Hillary Clinton. What his supporters have ignored is the fact he supported her in the 2008 election when she ran against then Senator Obama. As well as the fact that it was the 2016 election, and not the 2020 election, that had numerous Intelligence agencies report voting irregularities.

Then again, his rhetoric is nearly identical to what Adolf Hitler promoted when he ran for office. And after. The only real difference is that Hitler did not tell his supporters that the Russians were innocent of any wrong doings when it comes to anything tied to Germany. Where as Trump did simply because he "won the 2016 election".

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-seek-woman-larry-elder-234324274.html

This outright should outrage us as a society at the blatant over the top racist overtones. Gorilla mask? Really? I'm surprised she wasn't throwing watermelon rinds or pieces of fried chicken.

But something doesn't smell right about this one. Smells just like Jussie Smollett did when that happened. I think we need to go after the woman who threw that egg hard and find out her deal and if she's working for someone. We don't physically assault politicians in America. We are better than that. We deal with them with dialogue and at the ballot box.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kguillemette said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-seek-woman-larry-elder-234324274.html

This outright should outrage us as a society at the blatant over the top racist overtones. Gorilla mask? Really? I'm surprised she wasn't throwing watermelon rinds or pieces of fried chicken.

But something doesn't smell right about this one. Smells just like Jussie Smollett did when that happened. I think we need to go after the woman who threw that egg hard and find out her deal and if she's working for someone. We don't physically assault politicians in America. We are better than that. We deal with them with dialogue and at the ballot box.

Remember the “is it okay to punch a Nazi?” debate of 2017? And all the atuff about Ted Cruz having a “punchable” face? And of course the events of January 6th earlier this year? Seems like a lot of people nowadays think we aren’t, in fact, better than that.

For that matter, I’m not sure there’s much of a “we” left.

More kids shot in Chicago than have died of COVID-19 across US this year

https://www.yahoo.com/news/more-kids-shot-chicago-died-205156094.html

Wow - and I know this is a bit of "comparing apples to oranges" but it does give one a new perspective...

Over the course of 2021, more minors have been shot in Chicago than have died of COVID-19 in all of the United States, according to data from police and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

• Wow! 1

10 minutes ago, avatar! said:

More kids shot in Chicago than have died of COVID-19 across US this year

https://www.yahoo.com/news/more-kids-shot-chicago-died-205156094.html

Wow - and I know this is a bit of "comparing apples to oranges" but it does give one a new perspective...

Over the course of 2021, more minors have been shot in Chicago than have died of COVID-19 in all of the United States, according to data from police and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Not sure how that is helpful. 

So kids are dying in relatively low numbers, but they are somehow filling childrens hospitals to capacity in different parts of the country. Not sure what the long term effexts are for all of the children hospitalized from covid.

On 8/22/2021 at 10:12 PM, Tulpa said:

If there's a need for any more proof that Trump is holding the Republican party hostage...

That's a weird take.

Are you saying that the Republicans wouldn't be on the same path without Trump?

Are you saying that the crowd who's idea's about election fraud are from from Trump although every conservative platform has called the election fake for the better part of a year?

Or are you saying that Trump welcoming Mo Brooks after he is booed means he controls the party although no posotive change has been measured in the crowd goers?

The statement is just kind of ambiguous because of the article.

Edited by Californication