IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

Ex-NFL player Phillip Adams allegedly kills 5 in South Carolina, dead by apparent suicide

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/five-including-doctor-his-two-grandchildren-killed-south-carolina-shooting-n1263411

Dr. Robert Lesslie, 70, Barbara Lesslie, 69, and their grandchildren...The York County Coroner's Office said the grandchildren were Adah Lesslie, 9, and Noah Lesslie, 5.

"I can say he's a good kid," Alonzo Adams told the station. "I think the football messed him up."

Horrible tragedy...

On 4/6/2021 at 11:04 PM, Tulpa said:

I'm about halfway through that show, and I have to admit it has scared for the future.

1 hour ago, Kguillemette said:

I'm about halfway through that show, and I have to admit it has scared for the future.

Why? Just out of curiosity.  I mean, how long can ridiculous goal posts shift? I get that now its been monetized by “influencers” so they have to milk rubes to keep it going. But if every single thing is part of the conspiracy, is it really a conspiracy?

I feel like the majority of it is people just trolling and scamming other people. 

Unless you were referring to the disappointment in the lowering of the collective  intelligence of the USA, of which I agree.   

56 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Why? Just out of curiosity.  I mean, how long can ridiculous goal posts shift? I get that now its been monetized by “influencers” so they have to milk rubes to keep it going. But if every single thing is part of the conspiracy, is it really a conspiracy?

I feel like the majority of it is people just trolling and scamming other people. 

Unless you were referring to the disappointment in the lowering of the collective  intelligence of the USA, of which I agree.   

My disappointment in the lowering of the collective intelligence of the USA is exactly what I am referring to. Major politicians are legitimizing these people by being sympathetic to their ridiculous claims in order to harvest them for votes. I hope it goes away in the couple years. I just want normalcy.

• Like 1

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNqQe5QBVES/

So Ivanka Trump got her vaccination. Which is fine, I don't recall her saying anything against it, and her dad got one, too.

But because people are horrible, and the people who believe in Q are really horrible, her comment section devolved into a shitstorm.

"No thanks! With a 99% survival rate, I shall pass. With Bill Gates involved I will not get one."

"This is not a personal decision, this is mass propoganda for an experimental mRNA vaccine that is in a test phase."

"I don’t really think she took it. What shot? She doesn’t say vaccine."

"Anyone who actually takes this is STUPID. Fact check that!"

"no lol 😂, it's poison, I've done the research and it contains way too much experimental chemicals in it, the chance of dying from "covid" is lower than taking this experimental vaccine, also there have been like 400,000 deaths and injuries so far from the vaccine."

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNqQe5QBVES/

So Ivanka Trump got her vaccination. Which is fine, I don't recall her saying anything against it, and her dad got one, too.

But because people are horrible, and the people who believe in Q are really horrible, her comment section devolved into a shitstorm.

"No thanks! With a 99% survival rate, I shall pass. With Bill Gates involved I will not get one."

"This is not a personal decision, this is mass propoganda for an experimental mRNA vaccine that is in a test phase."

"I don’t really think she took it. What shot? She doesn’t say vaccine."

"Anyone who actually takes this is STUPID. Fact check that!"

"no lol 😂, it's poison, I've done the research and it contains way too much experimental chemicals in it, the chance of dying from "covid" is lower than taking this experimental vaccine, also there have been like 400,000 deaths and injuries so far from the vaccine."

I legitimately dont think all these people “actually” buy into this Q shit, it is just so nonsensical and ridiculous its meta now. Like somehow the lack of evidence is affirmation or something. 

of course some people are just dyed in the wool complete idiots, and fools and their money are easily parted. But I truly think a lot of anti-vax aggressive Q folk are desperate for attention and counter culture has always been popular. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/549057-mypillow-ceo-pranked-by-fake-trump-call?amp

MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell on Monday was duped by a prank caller pretending to be former President Trump while taking live calls during a telethon to raise money for his new social media site.

Lindell was hosting a two-day "Frankathon" to promote his new social media platform, Frank. As he was taking calls during the event, Lindell cut to a caller who claimed she has Trump on the line.

"Oh, we have the president here, our real president, everyone," Lindell said.

The prank caller started to shout obscenities, and Lindell swiftly moved to end the call. 

• Haha 1

On 11/7/2020 at 4:25 PM, Tulpa said:

So on the lighter side, I started researching past elections. Found this weird:

1976 is the earliest election we have had that still has at least one candidate (Prez or VP) still alive. In fact, three are still alive: Jimmy Carter, his VP Walter Mondale, and Bob Dole, the now deceased Ford's VP candidate. (3)

For 1980, Carter and Mondale are still alive. The two Republicans, Ronald Reagan and George HW Bush have passed. (2)

For 1984, only Mondale is still alive. His VP candidate, Geraldine Ferraro, and Reagan/Bush have passed. (1)

For 1988, VP Dan Quayle and Michael Dukakis are alive, but Bush and Lloyd Benson (Dukakis's running mate) are dead. (2)

In 1992, only Bush is dead. Quayle, Bill Clinton and Al Gore are alive. (3)

For the record, 2000 is the earliest election with all four candidates still alive.

Jack Kemp, Dole's running mate in 1996, passed away, but the others are still kicking.

Walter Mondale passed away.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/walter-mondale-ex-vice-president-under-jimmy-carter-dies/ar-BB1fPGzp?li=BBnb7Kz

So now all four from 1984 are no longer alive.

I am convinced the new voting laws passed in GA are nothing short of racially motivated. The whole "can't pass out food or drinks to voters waiting in line to vote" part is what I simply cannot even give a devil's advocate for. The only places in georgia with a dense enough population to even see lines at the polls of significance are in dominantly black communities. One can make all the changes they want to early voting possible and force people to show up election day and wait in hours long lines. To do so and not allow them to be fed or served water is just inhumane. Quite the coincidence that it affects black people at a considerably higher rate than white people.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

I am convinced the new voting laws passed in GA are nothing short of racially motivated. The whole "can't pass out food or drinks to voters waiting in line to vote" part is what I simply cannot even give a devil's advocate for. The only places in georgia with a dense enough population to even see lines at the polls of significance are in dominantly black communities. One can make all the changes they want to early voting possible and force people to show up election day and wait in hours long lines. To do so and not allow them to be fed or served water is just inhumane. Quite the coincidence that it affects black people at a considerably higher rate than white people.

It seems the limitation of handing out food/water is only for politically affiliated groups, just so there's no concern of influencing votes? It's not a full ban on food/water, but only for the type of person(s) distributing it. 

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/mar/29/josh-holmes/facts-about-georgias-ban-food-water-giveaways-vote/

Edited by Silent Hill
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Silent Hill said:

It seems the limitation of handing out food/water is only for politically affiliated groups, just so there's no concern of influencing votes? It's not a full ban on food/water, but only for the type of person(s) distributing it. 

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/mar/29/josh-holmes/facts-about-georgias-ban-food-water-giveaways-vote/

The new law affects black people disproportionally compared to whites. White people in the state don't live in areas with congested polling sites at nearly as close of a rate that black people do. No long lines, no need for food or drinks. Barring political organizations from passing out things is asinine. There's no need to do so in the white neighborhood. Black people in GA now have a major obstacle preventing them from voting in their best interests, and I believe that to be unamerican.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

The new law affects black people disproportionally compared to whites. White people in the state don't live in areas with congested polling sites at nearly as close of a rate that black people do. No long lines, no need for food or drinks. Barring political organizations from passing out things is asinine. There's no need to do so in the white neighborhood. Black people in GA now have a major obstacle preventing them from voting in their best interests, and I believe that to be unamerican.

I'm still failing to see how this is intentionally racist. Is the law only in effect for specific areas of GA, or the whole State?

Regardless, it's just food and water, and only impacts who can distribute it and within what vicinity. It's not like it's preventing anyone from voting and if you're going to be standing in line for a few hours, bring a drink/food if needed. Is the theory that the predominately black communities won't be able to cast their vote because they'll bail from starvation/hydration before voting? Because they rely on others, especially those who are part of a political organization, to provide them food/water? 

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

Is the theory that the predominately black communities won't be able to cast their vote because they'll bail from starvation/hydration before voting? Because they rely on others, especially those who are part of a political organization, to provide them food/water? 

Yes.

Just now, Silent Hill said:

Ok. Simple enough to bring a water/snack and totally dismantle this "systemically racist" law. 

Problem solved. 

Forcing people to bring/pay their own food/drinks is the equivalent of a poll tax. Even if it's just one or two dollars worth of stuff. And black people are the ones affected far more than white people. This number is not even close.

You guys are a trip. 

God forbid someone brings a bottle of water if they have to stand in a line. Nobody is forced to bring anything. The law even says self-serve stations can be set up. 

"I have to bring MY OWN water, or even worse, get it myself from an unmanned station?! This is racist!"

13 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

You guys are a trip. 

God forbid someone brings a bottle of water if they have to stand in a line. Nobody is forced to bring anything. The law even says self-serve stations can be set up. 

"I have to bring MY OWN water, or even worse, get it myself from an unmanned station?! This is racist!"

We can also reform the law to re-expand early and absentee voting rather than force people to wait in hours long lines on election day. 

I am more interested in hearing arguments about how the law as written is an improvement for all Georgians, not just the white ones currently in control of the state.

• Like 1

I remember a few people making a big deal about Foxconn building a factory in Wisconsin, and how it signaled jobs coming back. How did that work out?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/22/tech/foxconn-wisconsin-factory-scaled-down/index.html

"When first announced in 2017, Foxconn's plan to build a massive electronics factory in Wisconsin was hailed by then-President Donald Trump as a sign of the rebirth of American manufacturing.

But nearly four years later, the complex that promised to create a Silicon Valley in the industrial Midwest is essentially a white elephant, a collection of mostly empty buildings without any high-tech products to build.
And this week it became official: The pledged investment of up to $10 billion to create as many as 13,000 jobs is not coming."