IGNORED

America’s 2020 election (NOW with polls!)

Link

Who will win America’s 2020 presidential election?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Donald Trump
    • Joe Biden
    • Bernie Sanders
    • Jo Jorgensen
    • Howie Hawkins
    • other
  2. 2. Who will you vote for?

• Donald Trump
    • Joe Biden
    • Bernie Sanders
    • Jo Jorgensen
    • Howie Hawkins
    • Vermin Supreme
    • Alfred E. Neuman

40 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

Sounds like Goodyear will lose that contract! I can’t side with Goodyear on this one, that dress code is absurd. 

What, no political gear? Because they also ban Biden gear as well.

Lots of places say "no political apparel."

Where's the outrage at all of them? Or is it only when Trump tweets about it that it matters?

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Is the president even "allowed" to be telling people what to buy? Like I realize this is just a cherry on the cake kinda deal but how blatant can he get with the whole personal gain thing? Jesus.

It's not technically illegal, just a longstanding norm.

Which he's been shattering with regularity and opening the door to all sorts of conflicts of interest and whatnot.

And with a Republican senate unwilling to hold him accountable for anything, it's just another in a long list of ethical failings that he'll slide on.

The big irony is that Goodyear is an American company that he pledged to "make great again." I guess he only promised that to companies that wear red hats.

Edited by Tulpa

1 minute ago, Tulpa said:

It's not technically illegal, just a longstanding norm.

Which he's been shattering with regularity and opening the door to all sorts of conflicts of interest and whatnot.

And with a Republican senate unwilling to hold him accountable for anything, it's just another in a long list of ethical failings that he'll slide on.

But Biden has a stutter, so yeah.

Its obvious who is better for America. 

As someone who is “against cancel culture” Trump sure does try to cancel a lot of shit:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/07/politics/fact-check-trump-cancel-culture-boycotts-firings/index.html

I wonder if its a 3d level chess Plan to convince gullible right wingers that Democrats hate their way of life.  If it is Im definitely  not smart enough to recognize a culture war.

No actual policy position?

Start a Culture war!

”mr president, how are you going to address the deficit?”

”We are going to have the biggest greatest best economy ever in the universe. A guy told me- Sir! Sir! You are the second coming of Jesus but better. Far more rich and handsome! Joe Biden wants to take your guns and make you speak chinese”

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, MrWunderful said:

As an ohioan, do you think it will actually have a measurable difference?

Any idea what the margin was last time?     I thought it was relatively close.

This thread and the last one is about the most politics I've discussed in my adult life.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

What, no political gear? Because they also ban Biden gear as well.

Lots of places say "no political apparel."

Where's the outrage at all of them? Or is it only when Trump tweets about it that it matters?

I don’t care about the ban on political items, but allowing BLM while banning Blue Lives Matter or All Lives Matter isn’t something I agree with, plus BLM clearly implies political affiliation. Goodyear can do whatever they want, but I bet many employees aren’t thrilled about it. 

16 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Any idea what the margin was last time?     I thought it was relatively close.

This thread and the last one is about the most politics I've discussed in my adult life.

Not sure. I am curious how it is  in other places, (especially a “swing state”) because rarely do you see any Trump stuff around here, unless its anti trump stickers.  Even out in the “country” where my inlaws live (picture gold country) Trump stuff is pretty rare, but a bit more common. Maybe a lawn sign.

I always wonder if swing states are as divided as I imagine in my head lol

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Not sure. I am curious how it is  in other places, (especially a “swing state”) because rarely do you see any Trump stuff around here, unless its anti trump stickers.  Even out in the “country” where my inlaws live (picture gold country) Trump stuff is pretty rare, but a bit more common. Maybe a lawn sign.

I always wonder if swing states are as divided as I imagine in my head lol

It's more in pockets.   You'll have some towns that are fiercely red, some that are fiercely blue, and then there seems to be independents sprinkled all about.

EDIT- as the Doc said, it does seem the, uh, smaller out in the sticks places are 100% Trump.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

I don’t care about the ban on political items, but allowing BLM while banning Blue Lives Matter or All Lives Matter isn’t something I agree with, plus BLM clearly implies political affiliation. Goodyear can do whatever they want, but I bet many employees aren’t thrilled about it. 

Not sure if you've worked anywhere in the corporate realm, but I'm willing to bet any official documents from HR have logos/company letterhead all over them.  

It's been the case at all the places I've been at least.

6 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

Did you actually look into it though? Its not a corporate message. To me, it looked like it was a private diversity training, probably hired by a manager without approval. 

I agree that it is an inappropriate Stance for diversity training, IMO let it all go or nothing controversial. 

Anyways, Trump immediately turned on an American company because of a super minor level thing. Just immediate punnishment for not 100% fealty.

That is unamerican IMO

Isnt that alarming to you? It seems completely unreasonable to me. That alone would cause me to vote for a coat rack over him (not to mention the 3836262920 other terrible things hes done)

• Like 1

And I bet they're less thrilled with their paychecks getting cut thanks to Trump's tweet, since that hits them where it counts.

Goodyear seems to have been tanking well before this incident, so I’m sure those plans are already in motion. Though yes, it doesn’t seem like Trump helped them out with that tweet. I am not condoning his reaction. 

The slide being bandied about that Goodyear allows BLM has been disavoved by the company.

https://www.wibw.com/2020/08/19/trump-says-not-to-buy-goodyear-tires/

"After the President’s tweet, Goodyear released a statement saying their corporate office didn’t make the slide.

“First, the visual in question was not created or distributed by Goodyear corporate, nor was it part of a diversity training class,” the statement said."

3 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Not sure if you've worked anywhere in the corporate realm, but I'm willing to bet any official documents from HR have logos/company letterhead all over them.  

It's been the case at all the places I've been at least.

I have been my whole career and I agree. Just going from the picture I saw that’s related to Trump’s reaction. 

The slide being bandied about that Goodyear allows BLM has been disavoved by the company.

https://www.wibw.com/2020/08/19/trump-says-not-to-buy-goodyear-tires/

"After the President’s tweet, Goodyear released a statement saying their corporate office didn’t make the slide.

“First, the visual in question was not created or distributed by Goodyear corporate, nor was it part of a diversity training class,” the statement said."

Good to know. Classic Trump knee-jerk reaction then. 

3 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Did you actually look into it though? Its not a corporate message. To me, it looked like it was a private diversity training, probably hired by a manager without approval. 

I agree that it is an inappropriate Stance for diversity training, IMO let it all go or nothing controversial. 

Anyways, Trump immediately turned on an American company because of a super minor level thing. Just immediate punnishment for not 100% fealty.

That is unamerican IMO

Isnt that alarming to you? It seems completely unreasonable to me. That alone would cause me to vote for a coat rack over him (not to mention the 3836262920 other terrible things hes done)

I definitely agree the tweet was over the top, but to be expected. I don’t think Goodyear should take an additional hit for banning political gear. Even more so now that it seems that the picture wasn’t legit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

I definitely agree the tweet was over the top, but to be expected. I don’t think Goodyear should take an additional hit for banning political gear. Even more so now that it seems that the picture wasn’t legit. 

Agree, but Why should it expected though? Feel the same way btw

Wonder if he’ll admit fault lol

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

Good to know. Classic Trump knee-jerk reaction then. 

But look how it made you initially react?   And I know you're an intelligent person.

I don't have a political dog in this fight, but stuff like that which is instantly jumped upon as gospel is a huge media issue these days.

Another example- on this very site, we had some moron post a swastika in something here a few days ago.   Does that make VGS as a whole instantly lean that way, or is it just the actions of one rogue idiot that was corrected as soon as possible?

• Like 3