IGNORED

PS2/Playstation 2 - let's talk about it

CT

On 7/16/2020 at 3:44 AM, fcgamer said:

It sucks that you got a bum game, but it actually is a favour to you as the game really is a masochist's paradise at best.

Easily my least favorite Mario.  The only people that have nostalgia for it are the ones that grew up with it when they were in grade school.  Of course, I'm not a fan of Mario 64 either.  I felt like the first time Nintendo really got 3D Mario right was Galaxy.

I sold off most of my PS2 stuff.  I'm down to the stuff I really wanted to keep and with the price boom, it's hard to hang onto a few.  But let's face it, a lot of these titles do NOT have enduring gameplay and graphics these days.  There are a few absolute must-haves, but unless you're a completist, the majority of the PS2 library is pretty rough.  I'm down to about 100 titles in my collection from close to 200 and I definitely won't keep them all. 

7 hours ago, maxlords said:

Easily my least favorite Mario.  The only people that have nostalgia for it are the ones that grew up with it when they were in grade school.  Of course, I'm not a fan of Mario 64 either.  I felt like the first time Nintendo really got 3D Mario right was Galaxy.

I was 19 when the game came out, and it is still my favorite Mario game. However, I have yet to play Mario Odyssey.

BTW Super Mario Sunshine came out 18 years ago today for anyone interested.

Editorials Team · Posted
On 7/16/2020 at 6:05 PM, tbone3969 said:

3d Dot Game Heroes is a fun PS3 game.

I can only assume it had a higher print than usual for an Atlus game, because it's a gem, it's a system exclusive, and I never seem to see it in the wild so I assume people are holding onto it.  Maybe it will rise eventually.

On 7/15/2020 at 11:17 PM, Gloves said:

Very lame. Seriously if anyone has a copy for sale lemme know cuz I haven't ever played it and was really damn looking forward to it but could never get my Gamecube working. Now I have a working one and the FRICKIN GAME won't work.

sms.thumb.jpg.91cbc9c6eacf137d1153eb37d4263221.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I can only assume it had a higher print than usual for an Atlus game, because it's a gem, it's a system exclusive, and I never seem to see it in the wild so I assume people are holding onto it.  Maybe it will rise eventually.

I just checked and it seems to be creeping up in price.  I have two copies sealed.

On 7/19/2020 at 1:23 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Funny you say that, I have found 3 different copies at 3 different goodwills back when I used to hunt. 

On 7/16/2020 at 12:07 AM, Tekdrudge said:

In my experience that boom is happening now. PS2 titles are starting to become slim pickings at my local retro store. It hasn't hit super hard yet but it is very noticeable. Not as bad as GameCube though. Good luck finding a copy of Super Mario Sunshine. A fairly common game that has gone up in value very rapidly. If I could go back just five years and stock up on GameCube games I would.

Also, I want to point out, I personally do not collect for the value, or complete collections but for games I want to play. I am not a fan of resellers.

no doubt i use to grab ps2 stuff for $1 $.50 all day. yard sale moms now are like ps2? $100.

i picked up a 77 slim for $5 a couple years back and just sold it on ebay for $79+$15 ship...

ps2 is in its boom.

Edited by docile tapeworm

I've enjoyed the PS2 on and off for the past 10 years or so. It took on a whole new life for me with the advent of the Freemcboot card and finding out about the hard drive adapter for the fat PS2 model. It's pretty sweet not having to worry about the disc drive anymore. These days I'm playing horror games like Silent Hill and Haunting Ground.

55 minutes ago, Koopa64 said:

I've enjoyed the PS2 on and off for the past 10 years or so. It took on a whole new life for me with the advent of the Freemcboot card and finding out about the hard drive adapter for the fat PS2 model. It's pretty sweet not having to worry about the disc drive anymore. These days I'm playing horror games like Silent Hill and Haunting Ground.

i picked up a fat w/the hdd for $15 once.

i read about the hdd and people were using it to run games but i never did research it enough to use.

I'm more than 2/3 of the way to the full set, and I hate that the prices are spiked right now. I had been grabbing a lot of the mid tier games the last few years that I had a hunch would go up (they did) but I didn't grab many of those already expensive/soon to be VERY expensive titles. Plus I used to be able to find all the garbage games for like 50 cents to $1, but now even the filler games I don't find at yardsales and thriftstores like I used to.

I'm also currently working on a PS2 catalog spreadsheet, so if anyone else who is doing the same wants to cross reference notes, let me know. Mine covers anything released on PS2: Demos, Variants, box sets, GH....all that fun stuff. Always love to see what stuff people count towards the set (or don't count).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

yard sale moms now are like ps2? $100.

YES! This is a thing I have run into a lot the last couple of years. A particular lady had some scrap games, and wanted $50 a pop! They all think they have gold when selling. This is a yard sale not Sotheby's Auction House!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Need for speed underground is an arcade racer that doesn't get the love it deserves. Such an epic racer, especially for the fast and the furious era. It's biggest downfall is the unfair ai, both in other drivers and the traffic that intentionally tried to hit you.

But man, do those graphics hold up after 15+ years.